Haywood and Dusty Rhodes

Indian

11 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

This is the fiirst year I have watched a slew of HS baseball in a while. Umpiring in baseball is worse than basketball, IMO. No reason to act the way he did but it was awful.

State Tourney Officials are typically selected by associations and sent to work the State Tournament. You say "it was awful".  The game was in the 6th inning I think. Had there been some other officiating concerns prior to the incident? The report by the umpire says the coach was ejected after he did not go to the dugout after he was restricted. All baseball and softball coaches know that is a line you can not cross.

Not totally clear on the hybrid pitching stance and the penalty. There must have been a disagreement about the pitching stance rule. But after the ejection the umpire tried to walk away and the coach chased him down and the rest went quickly downhill.

The coach's frustration with the hybrid call is understandable.  However, he went way overboard with his response.    TSSAA has to make the punishment severe in this matter to avoid future similar incidents.   Haywood's initial response was definitely not strong enough and I highly doubt their latest proposal will be acceptable either.

Edited by BackwardsK
don't want to get that involved in this.

5 hours ago, Charger64 said:

State Tourney Officials are typically selected by associations and sent to work the State Tournament. You say "it was awful".  The game was in the 6th inning I think. Had there been some other officiating concerns prior to the incident? The report by the umpire says the coach was ejected after he did not go to the dugout after he was restricted. All baseball and softball coaches know that is a line you can not cross.

Not totally clear on the hybrid pitching stance and the penalty. There must have been a disagreement about the pitching stance rule. But after the ejection the umpire tried to walk away and the coach chased him down and the rest went quickly downhill.

I wasn't at the Haywood game just saying it wasn't good the games I attended. 

The Hybrid Stance has been a point of emphasis by the NFHS.  I read it is a 'pet peeve' of the official who called it.

Now what is he suppose to do when the NFHS has made it a point of emphasis and has so for several years? 

Shouldn't a point of emphasis by the NFHS also be a point of emphasis by each and every coach and Association out there. 

I believe the TSSAA made it a point of emphasis as well when NFHS called for the Hybrid Stance to be so.

If I can again find the articles stating such I will post a link. 

3 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

I wasn't at the Haywood game just saying it wasn't good the games I attended. 

Don't just stand on the sidelines and gripe then.  Be part of the solution.  Every association in the state is looking for good umpires.

I bet $500 you have a reason (excuse) not to.

1 hour ago, Southtowner said:

The Hybrid Stance has been a point of emphasis by the NFHS.  I read it is a 'pet peeve' of the official who called it.

Now what is he suppose to do when the NFHS has made it a point of emphasis and has so for several years? 

Shouldn't a point of emphasis by the NFHS also be a point of emphasis by each and every coach and Association out there. 

I believe the TSSAA made it a point of emphasis as well when NFHS called for the Hybrid Stance to be so.

If I can again find the articles stating such I will post a link. 

It is my understanding that this was the first time all seaon, including state tournament games, that Haywood and the pitcher were called on this hybrid stance issue. Does not seem like it is that big a point of emphasis. There has to be more to this than a coach just going wacko.

1 minute ago, ReitzFan said:

It is my understanding that this was the first time all seaon, including state tournament games, that Haywood and the pitcher were called on this hybrid stance issue. Does not seem like it is that big a point of emphasis. There has to be more to this than a coach just going wacko.

So this official makes it a point of emphasis like the NFHS instructs ALL officials to do and since no one else makes it such this is the result one should expect?  Not saying you are suggesting that.   But can we fault an official who is just trying to emphasize what he has been deemed to emphasize by NFHS and TSSAA?  

Maybe most other officials didn't emphasize it.  Maybe they don't know it should have been.  I don't know.  Maybe they don't understand the rule themselves.  Who knows?

Maybe it's been a point of emphasis because it's still not being made a point of emphasis.  Idk.  

I don't know all the rules and won't pretend that I do.   But I sure know how to behave and act in a civil manner especially when given an opportunity to lead young people.

This is a learning lesson for all.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ReitzFan said:

I think being kicked in the ankles, slapped across the bill of the cap, spit on several times by the coach, yelled at and cussed by the coach, assistant coaches and players and threatened to be hit by players sounds about right. What do you think boss??

Bush shaken.... :)