Haywood and Dusty Rhodes

Indian

Proper Pitching Positions

2018 NFHS Baseball Points of Emphasis

The rules that govern the pitcher’s movement and his position on the pitcher’s plate have not varied over the years. However, modified or hybrid positions continually are developed and are attempted to be introduced into the high school game. While these creative pitcher's stances might work for advance levels of baseball, they are not appropriate for interscholastic baseball. Our rules are perfect for the age and skill level of the students we write playing rules for participation. The game has evolved over the years and new equipment and strategies have been very beneficial for our game. However, there are some things that stand the test of time and the proper position of the pitcher is one of those rules that enjoys a rich tradition.

The pitching requirements begin once he engages the pitcher’s plate. In NFHS sanctioned baseball there are only two positions the pitcher can possess, the windup and the set (also known as the stretch) position. The starting position of the non-pivot foot determines whether the pitcher is going to pitch from the windup or set position.

Pitchers in the windup position are required to have their non-pivot foot in any position on or behind a line extending through the front edge of the pitcher’s plate. If a pitcher’s non-pivot foot is in front of that line and he attempts to pitch from the windup, he has made an illegal pitch or committed a balk.

In the set position, he shall stand with his entire non-pivot foot in front of a line extending through the front edge of the pitcher’s plate and with his entire pivot foot in contact with or directly in front of the pitcher’s plate. He shall go to the set position without delay and in one continuous motion; he shall come to a complete and discernible stop, which does not include a change of direction with both hands in front of his body and his glove at or below his chin.

Going to the mouth while in contact with the pitcher’s plate is a balk, not because the pitcher goes to his mouth, but because the action simulates the start of the pitching motion.

Umpires must be aware of the position of the non-pivot foot. Practice the skills to determine if the pitch is legal or illegal. It is imperative that the pitching positions and movement are completely understood. These requirements provide guidance that the batter and base runner(s) know when they can swing and run and when the pitcher is in a position to deliver the ball, creating a level playing field for all involved with the game. 

http://www.nysbua.com/85-news/165-2018-nfhs-baseball-points-of-emphasis  

39 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Sorry Reitz. I meant to send the above reply to BigEdMo. 

Maybe that just what the Milan principal heard in the hearing since he was on the board.  Maybe he does not want Haywood competing in baseball now. Sounds like a conflict. Hahahaha. Shake shake shake. And again I do Not condone what the coach did. Good grief. My question was what about the umpires who did not follow the rules all year. 

Edited by BigEdMo

1 hour ago, BigEdMo said:

Maybe that just what the Milan principal heard in the hearing since he was on the board.  Maybe he does not want Haywood competing in baseball now. Sounds like a conflict. Hahahaha. Shake shake shake. And again I do Not condone what the coach did. Good grief. My question was what about the umpires who did not follow the rules all year. 

You mean the umpire who we assume didn’t follow the rules. I believe like you do that he probably did something wrong. Only problem is that no one can prove it unlike the coach.  

9 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

You mean the umpire who we assume didn’t follow the rules. I believe like you do that he probably did something wrong. Only problem is that no one can prove it unlike the coach.  

Man all I am Saying is that the umpire in the state game made the call following the rules. I am Good with that. My question is the 100’s of umpires that did not follow the rules and not make the call. Frustration mounts when there is no consistency. It was an unfortunate event and there should be punishment. And I know about Milan man. Just made me chuckle when I heard He was on there deciding the outcome. You know me just shaking the bush. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BigEdMo said:

Man all I am Saying is that the umpire in the state game made the call following the rules. I am Good with that. My question is the 100’s of umpires that did not follow the rules and not make the call. Frustration mounts when there is no consistency. It was an unfortunate event and there should be punishment. And I know about Milan man. Just made me chuckle when I heard He was on there deciding the outcome. You know me just shaking the bush. 

Agreed. 

15 hours ago, BigEdMo said:

Here's what I believe. The Northwest officials association service Haywood baseball. If this umpire claims that there was a hybrid stance, but Dusty said that he's been doing it all year, then it puts the Northwest association a bad look. It also puts the Southwest (Jackson) association a bad look because I would assume Haywood plays a lot of baseball games in the Jackson area and a lot of umpires that are in the "Jackson" association had Haywood at some point this year.

So, a pitcher isn't going to change his pitching delivery in the postseason, not going to happen. In addition, he definitely isn't going to do it during the game. Why was this called in the 6th inning and not innings 1-3? The only person that can answer the question is the umpire that called it. To me, this was the umpire taking control of his authority and made Haywood baseball look bad and made the Northwest officials association look bad as well.

9 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Here's what I believe. The Northwest officials association service Haywood baseball. If this umpire claims that there was a hybrid stance, but Dusty said that he's been doing it all year, then it puts the Northwest association a bad look. It also puts the Southwest (Jackson) association a bad look because I would assume Haywood plays a lot of baseball games in the Jackson area and a lot of umpires that are in the "Jackson" association had Haywood at some point this year.

So, a pitcher isn't going to change his pitching delivery in the postseason, not going to happen. In addition, he definitely isn't going to do it during the game. Why was this called in the 6th inning and not innings 1-3? The only person that can answer the question is the umpire that called it. To me, this was the umpire taking control of his authority and made Haywood baseball look bad and made the Northwest officials association look bad as well.

Bingo

On 6/6/2019 at 5:32 PM, orngnblk said:

AGREE 

Disagree, why would you punish the young men that will be junior and seniors next year and the year after because of the actions of an adult who is their coach. Suspend the coach or ban him from coaching in the state for life, but don't remove the possibility for the kids to play in the post season.

12 minutes ago, GHSblackhelmet said:

Disagree, why would you punish the young men that will be junior and seniors next year and the year after because of the actions of an adult who is their coach. Suspend the coach or ban him from coaching in the state for life, but don't remove the possibility for the kids to play in the post season.

After watching the video and seeing how the players reacted with the coach i think its the right call.I do not like to punish players who had nothing to do with it but when the dugout is on the field you dont have much of a choice.It even looked as if one of the players was getting aggresive with the umps also.Looked like a loss of control to me.

2 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

After watching the video and seeing how the players reacted with the coach i think its the right call.I do not like to punish players who had nothing to do with it but when the dugout is on the field you dont have much of a choice.It even looked as if one of the players was getting aggresive with the umps also.Looked like a loss of control to me.

What if all the players that were on the field were seniors?