Haywood and Dusty Rhodes

Indian

Sure.

Who were those umpires?  Get the names and they can be reprimanded.  Find out what association works Haywood.  Talk to that assignor.  Find out who worked the games the pitcher in question pitched previously.  Reprimand them.  Fire them.  It wouldn't be that difficult.

No matter how they're reprimanded, I bet they won't react like Coach Dirtkicker did.

5 hours ago, glock22 said:

Sure.

Who were those umpires?  Get the names and they can be reprimanded.  Find out what association works Haywood.  Talk to that assignor.  Find out who worked the games the pitcher in question pitched previously.  Reprimand them.  Fire them.  It wouldn't be that difficult.

No matter how they're reprimanded, I bet they won't react like Coach Dirtkicker did.

Hey Einstein, nobody is condoning the behavior of Dusty Rhodes, nobody. Also, nobody is questioning the Umpire who made the proper call against Haywood County in Murfreesboro. What part of that do you not seem to understand? The question is simple shouldn't the umpires who did not properly enforce the rule all year long face and repercussions for their lack of following the rule book?

1 hour ago, ReitzFan said:

Hey Einstein, nobody is condoning the behavior of Dusty Rhodes, nobody. Also, nobody is questioning the Umpire who made the proper call against Haywood County in Murfreesboro. What part of that do you not seem to understand? The question is simple shouldn't the umpires who did not properly enforce the rule all year long face and repercussions for their lack of following the rule book?

You're not going to get anywhere with this guy Reitz. Not one person has defended Dusty's actions on the field in any way, but he refuses to admit that any official did anything other than act professionally and follow the directives of TSSAA. Either someone with a patch on their shirt was wrong somewhere down the line, or the pitcher changed his delivery from all season in that game without Dusty noticing it (even after ump called it once), and then Coach went nutso after the ump had "a polite discussion" about why he had to call it. I'm just being practical in my thinking when I take the position that Dusty didn't just freak out over what amounted to two strikes being changed to balls because of a hybrid stance. I also can't see that this kid pitched an entire season without having his delivery called into question, then it gets called twice... bang, bang... and a couple of posters on here can find no fault in the system. Not calling out the umps that didn't call it all season, or the ump that did, but it's kind of obvious that someone dropped the ball somewhere!  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

The question is simple shouldn't the umpires who did not properly enforce the rule all year long face and repercussions for their lack of following the rule book?

OK, I gave you a answer to your question:

And you insult me.  I'm done.

Edited by glock22

1 hour ago, glock22 said:

It wouldn't be that difficult if the public had influence, which they do not. You imply that Reitz should do TSSAA's job for them, when that's absolutely impossible. Why shouldn't the board of control hold their own employees accountable over an issue as big as this? 

Before you try and diminish the importance, or bottleneck this issue down to one guy (Rhodes), or one program, this set's a precedent for every member school in TSSAA, as well as every rule in the book. I think that it's comfortable to assume that multiple associations worked Haywood games this season, with several different members of those associations responsible for determining whether or not this particular rule was broken on any given day. For TSSAA to harshly punish Haywood (which I wholeheartedly agree with), yet not even address the issue that triggered the whole incident will just increase the amount of distrust between the member schools and the organizational leadership. 

Bottom line is, enforce the rule consistently... if it's a "point of emphasis"  before season begins, either all the officials who didn't recognize the infraction during the regular season or in the tournament process were wrong in their assessment, or the guy who calls it in that game was.

Man it is easy to see who the umpires are on this board. Simple discussion board turns into finger pointing and deflection. I have Not seen anyone condone the actions of Dusty or Haywood. But you bring up a simple observation that my have contributed to the powder keg then the gloves come off and the finger pointing starts. You look around and the refs and umpires that are highly respected all have one thing in common. Consistency!!!!!!  

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 7:13 AM, glock22 said:

Yep, definitely wears blue or stripes

On 6/20/2019 at 7:13 AM, glock22 said:

As I don't work for the TSSAA, it would be rather impossible for me to discipline, reprimand, or fire an official who did not follow the rules

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the game here. Don't get on this site much anymore and this incident just popped back up in my head so I thought I would check here. I see not much has changed. Several have posted that no one is condoning the coach's actions, but several have in a way. The "well, that umpire must have done something" post or the ones talking about the call not being made all year. While those are certainly reasons for a coach getting upset, absolutely nothing gives that coach the right to act the way he did. Nothing. Those statements, are in fact giving a reason for this coach's insane behavior.  I have spoken with people that have first hand accounts form both sides of this story. The Haywood coach is 100% in the wrong. He needs to be removed from his position. Period. You cannot have a man that cannot control himself in a position to mold and mentor young men. That was pathetic and the school administration is just as pathetic. The rule should've been called all year, you say? Maybe it was, maybe just some, maybe it never was. But that doesn't really matter either. That coach knows the rule and if he is this great baseball mind that everyone claims, he should have spotted his own player breaking the rule and fixed it. "But officer I've ran that stop sign all summer and not got a ticket!" It don't work that way. That's on him, not that umpire. He is the only one to blame for this situation. He created the fire that led to his players actions. This is high school baseball, his actions have no place here and I do not see how he can be trusted going forward. That is some serious anger issues. I mean, you have to do something like beat my dog to elicit that kind of reaction from me(and most people I associate with). I do not know any umpires in his area, but wonder if they are considering refusing to do his games if the school doesn't take appropriate action. Just a thought. I would bet they are above that and would consider that a punishment to the kids, which are the reason most umpires I know do this crazy job. That's my two cents. I am also curious if there has been any new developments in this story? Latest news I can find is almost a month old. 

2 hours ago, cocheese said:

Late to the game here. Don't get on this site much anymore and this incident just popped back up in my head so I thought I would check here. I see not much has changed. Several have posted that no one is condoning the coach's actions, but several have in a way. The "well, that umpire must have done something" post or the ones talking about the call not being made all year. While those are certainly reasons for a coach getting upset, absolutely nothing gives that coach the right to act the way he did. Nothing. Those statements, are in fact giving a reason for this coach's insane behavior.  I have spoken with people that have first hand accounts form both sides of this story. The Haywood coach is 100% in the wrong. He needs to be removed from his position. Period. You cannot have a man that cannot control himself in a position to mold and mentor young men. That was pathetic and the school administration is just as pathetic. The rule should've been called all year, you say? Maybe it was, maybe just some, maybe it never was. But that doesn't really matter either. That coach knows the rule and if he is this great baseball mind that everyone claims, he should have spotted his own player breaking the rule and fixed it. "But officer I've ran that stop sign all summer and not got a ticket!" It don't work that way. That's on him, not that umpire. He is the only one to blame for this situation. He created the fire that led to his players actions. This is high school baseball, his actions have no place here and I do not see how he can be trusted going forward. That is some serious anger issues. I mean, you have to do something like beat my dog to elicit that kind of reaction from me(and most people I associate with). I do not know any umpires in his area, but wonder if they are considering refusing to do his games if the school doesn't take appropriate action. Just a thought. I would bet they are above that and would consider that a punishment to the kids, which are the reason most umpires I know do this crazy job. That's my two cents. I am also curious if there has been any new developments in this story? Latest news I can find is almost a month old. 

One last time... Dusty was wrong... very, very, wrong... NEVER is it acceptable to act in such a manner, for any reason, in any setting, with or without kids present.

Haywood was just as wrong... Dusty should have been immediately terminated, even without the knowledge that TSSAA was "looking over their shoulder" to see what punishment they would dole out to him. 

The "officer, I've ran that stop sign" comparison is absurd. If all the officers in your town waved you through the stop sign all summer, maybe you'd have a better argument.

Twist it anyway you'd like, some will never admit the obvious... call it or don't, but be consistent. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/6/2019 at 1:39 AM, crazzyness said:

It's quite easy to see, reading the posts on this thread, why in 40 years or less, youth sports will be a thing of the past. Folks won't even be able to talk people into officiating for any amount of money. 

I think you are wrong. There are good umps and referees out there who do a respectable job that call consistent and don't make it about them. Don't know about this particular case, but I know especially in basketball the bad refs usually are the one's that won't to make it about them or want to be seen instead of calling a consistent game. We had an official at an Obion County game several years ago give Obion a bucket and a foul shot when the bucket wasn't even made. The game ended up being tied at the end of regulation and we eventually lost the game. We win that game had the official been watching the game. These guys get paid decent money. They are not volunteers. Me a guy who has spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on training just hope for a fair officiated game. Don't know the situation here and there is no room for bodily contact and being spit on no doubt, but these guys make mistakes and that's understandable but some of them make a lot of mistakes. This is just in general and has nothing absolutely nothing to do with this incident. 

• Like 1