Region 7 3A

1 hour ago, bglass said:

Covington has only one offensive lineman returning that played any significant minutes last year. The defense though returns almost everyone and I think will be strength of team. Losing four year starter at QB will be tough for sure but Hayes can go distance on any play.

You guys had a small roster so I’m assuming you had some players going both ways. How did you lose so much on offense but return almost everyone on defense?  Something doesn’t pass the smell test there. Also I think Hayes is a special talent but will have a harder time with an inexperienced oline. Just my two cents. 

3 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

You guys had a small roster so I’m assuming you had some players going both ways. How did you lose so much on offense but return almost everyone on defense?  Something doesn’t pass the smell test there. Also I think Hayes is a special talent but will have a harder time with an inexperienced oline. Just my two cents. 

We have only had a few players going both ways the last couple years. I don’t think any of those were lineman. Hayes didn’t play much on defense last year but I figure he will this year and he will absolutely do some hitting and probably grab a few picks also. We lost one of our best offensive lineman at the end of last year due to some heath concerns and would have been a senior this year.

12 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

Sounds like a fun district and a mystery.

Man this district is tough. Top 4 teams all had 8+ wins last year. Swept the first rd playoff matchups against Memphis teams. And you know how tough those Mempho teams can be considering your matchups in previous years with ‘Lil East. (Sorry I just couldn’t help myself lol!!)

Martin Westview was out of the playoffs last year but they have a qb that has Major D1 offers from power 5 schools. And Bolivar was also out of the playoffs last years but had 2 kids go to West Virginia just a couple of years ago. Tough sledding in this region man. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Yes that got you up to two wins over the dawgs. Huge accomplishment. Hey that twice as many playoff wins as you guys have!!!

Not sure if you were there or not because there were not very many fans on the dogs side of the stadium. It really was awesome.  Start up program less than 10 years old takes a bunch of white boys to the dawg house and bested one of the most storied programs in the state. Also it was the sure fired hall of fame coaches last game at his home stadium.... I remember saying " things have gone stale here at Johnnie Hale " 

Shameful BPM. Shameful. Next time you come by I will give you a calculator. 

HAHA! All in good fun my friend.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ManOfMillions said:

Not sure if you were there or not because there were not very many fans on the dogs side of the stadium. It really was awesome.  Start up program less than 10 years old takes a bunch of white boys to the dawg house and bested one of the most storied programs in the state. Also it was the sure fired hall of fame coaches last game at his home stadium.... I remember saying " things have gone stale here at Johnnie Hale " 

Shameful BPM. Shameful. Next time you come by I will give you a calculator. 

HAHA! All in good fun my friend.

I here ya bro. Good fun. 

1 hour ago, lincoln said:

Covington will be fine I saw the Ridgeway Scrimmage and they did quite well rushing the ball.  Hayes and few other backs had long TD runs. Defense is no doubt the strength of the team.  QB situation is a big question mark but I'm sure Kirby will figure it out.   The following week they went with Dyersburg and from what I was told it didn't go to well for the Trojans. A few lineman that didn't play last year have come out which will help.  The baseball players are back and a few that didn't play last year have decided to play.  The incoming group of freshmen are pretty good as well.  Marty or No Marty the Chargers will have to be dealt with week in and week out.

When was the Dburg scrimmage? I am assuming it was about a month ago or so. If that was the case I wouldn’t put much stock in that. Baseball team, track and soccer had most of the team out for the Trojans. Hopefully both teams got some good work in regardless of what each team was missing. 

10 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Man this district is tough. Top 4 teams all had 8+ wins last year. Swept the first rd playoff matchups against Memphis teams. And you know how tough those Mempho teams can be considering your matchups in previous years with ‘Lil East. (Sorry I just couldn’t help myself lol!!)

Martin Westview was out of the playoffs last year but they have a qb that has Major D1 offers from power 5 schools. And Bolivar was also out of the playoffs last years but had 2 kids go to West Virginia just a couple of years ago. Tough sledding in this region man. 

I can see that. I would love to see how our top 4 match up up against this district and lmao "Lil East". Over they years I learned you have t-shirt and shorts warriors "with offers" then you got football players. Teams win

2 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

I can see that. I would love to see how our top 4 match up up against this district and lmao "Lil East". Over they years I learned you have t-shirt and shorts warriors "with offers" then you got football players. Teams win

Classic!

sad but true. The future is still the future but history tells us that this region from top to bottom is always hard. Last year the last placed team in our region would have made it to the semis if they were in the right region. I honestly believe that. There are no " gimme " games. 

I know that Alcoa is on the stupid run of dominance but from top to bottom this must be the hardest in the state. 

Milan back to back vs Alcoa & CPA i think* several years ago.

Liberty ( not in this region anymore ) back to back vs Alcoa 3-4 years ago. 

Covington back to back vs Alcoa the last 2 years. 

No disrespect to Alcoa but the run they are on is just stupid. No one team will ever match it again IMO. 

Rankin and company have formulated a master plan for developing and keeping top notch players that are just simply willing to play at the highest level to win. I have nothing but respect for what they do. When I watch the team on film all is see is a bunch of kids doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing exactly how they are supposed to be doing it.... They do not run anything flashy or surprising. They do what they do and make you stop it. Nobody has been able to stop it in the last several years. At Alcoa it is gold ball or bust. 

On 6/18/2019 at 10:18 AM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Don't get caught in the cross fire purple machine