Akira Levy

UTRok

6 hours ago, 99Guy said:

Bashing? No, its reality of where recruiting is thus far. The 2 players being brought in wouldn't be on any other team in the SEC's roster, its why they didnt have any offers as such. Levy was a fine high school player, couldn't be a starter at Mizzo. She will be a better role player, depending on that ACL, than the other 2 but not an impact player. Fact and reality is recruiting is the life blood to any College team and this start, even if to fill out a roster, is less than desirable. That's not bashing, hating or being unsupportive its living in the reality of the situation and not not making excuses.

Did Missouri State have any SEC players on the floor when they advanced farther than UT in the tournament? It's been stated that Holly had some good recruiting classes, yet it's been proven that the Lady Vols were NOT going to be in the conversation for a title with her at the helm...ever. Tennessee isn't the gold standard of womens basketball anymore, but the tradition is still a draw, and if KJH can coach, the recruits will come. I'm much more comfortable with a promising up and comer (with orange in her veins) than a proven mediocre (at best) established coach. There are maybe six or seven "home run" names out there who would've blown the socks off the college basketball fan base, and of those, three or four weren't moving under any circumstances. Harper has won as a player and as a coach at every level, and her teams have always elevated their play at critical times... until she proves that she is unable to take the Lady Vols back to the top, I'm bought in and excited.

5 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Did Missouri State have any SEC players on the floor when they advanced farther than UT in the tournament? It's been stated that Holly had some good recruiting classes, yet it's been proven that the Lady Vols were NOT going to be in the conversation for a title with her at the helm...ever. Tennessee isn't the gold standard of womens basketball anymore, but the tradition is still a draw, and if KJH can coach, the recruits will come. I'm much more comfortable with a promising up and comer (with orange in her veins) than a proven mediocre (at best) established coach. There are maybe six or seven "home run" names out there who would've blown the socks off the college basketball fan base, and of those, three or four weren't moving under any circumstances. Harper has won as a player and as a coach at every level, and her teams have always elevated their play at critical times... until she proves that she is unable to take the Lady Vols back to the top, I'm bought in and excited.

That is still not a good outlook or even a fair comparison. Missouri State played in a weak conference of no names. Then drew the easiest bracket in the NCAA tournament then got beat easily by Stanford who was the first ranked team they played in the division. I want to see her do good too but if Holly could draw the recruits she was able to pull then Harper should have been able to have done the same. 

3 hours ago, AllVolHere said:

That is still not a good outlook or even a fair comparison. Missouri State played in a weak conference of no names. Then drew the easiest bracket in the NCAA tournament then got beat easily by Stanford who was the first ranked team they played in the division. I want to see her do good too but if Holly could draw the recruits she was able to pull then Harper should have been able to have done the same. 

Can't agree on the recruits. Holly followed Pat,she was still on the bench as "coach emeritus", and the Lady Vols were still a "player" on the national stage... the program was in a much better state then than now (just removing the rose colored glasses and stating the hard, cold truth). KJH comes in late to turn recruits with their minds already pretty much set on their destination, and who to be honest, she had no shot to lure to Missouri State (therefore no relationship). If she does the coaching job at UT that she's done everyplace else and the program is trending upward, the next class of recruits will be a much better gauge than the current one, and the one after will genuinely be her first with sufficient time to go after the elite kids on a level playing field with Stanford, ND, UConn, Baylor, ect… Those type kids have been in contact with schools since they were Freshmen, and to "turn" just one or two next year will be a major accomplishment for her.

As for the "weak conference" and "easiest bracket", they were (are) the weak conference, and easy team to face... she still was a 13 seed, and finished in the sweet 16 (top four in the easy bracket). The days of Old Dominion, UT, Stanford, USC, and Louisiana Tech walking through to the elite eight because everyone else wasn't very good are over, and if you can't play, you get exposed pretty quickly. The teams KJH beat in the tournament were supposed to beat her, but couldn't get it done... if she can replicate that, she and the Lady Vols will be OK.

Edited by tradertwo

34 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Can't agree on the recruits. Holly followed Pat,she was still on the bench as "coach emeritus", and the Lady Vols were still a "player" on the national stage... the program was in a much better state then than now (just removing the rose colored glasses and stating the hard, cold truth). KJH comes in late to turn recruits with their minds already pretty much set on their destination, and who to be honest, she had no shot to lure to Missouri State (therefore no relationship). If she does the coaching job at UT that she's done everyplace else and the program is trending upward, the next class of recruits will be a much better gauge than the current one, and the one after will genuinely be her first with sufficient time to go after the elite kids on a level playing field with Stanford, ND, UConn, Baylor, ect… Those type kids have been in contact with schools since they were Freshmen, and to "turn" just one or two next year will be a major accomplishment for her.

As for the "weak conference" and "easiest bracket", they were (are) the weak conference, and easy team to face... she still was a 13 seed, and finished in the sweet 16 (top four in the easy bracket). The days of Old Dominion, UT, Stanford, USC, and Louisiana Tech walking through to the elite eight because everyone else wasn't very good are over, and if you can't play, you get exposed pretty quickly. The teams KJH beat in the tournament were supposed to beat her, but couldn't get it done... if she can replicate that, she and the Lady Vols will be OK.

Good quote for most part. Rocky Top’s faithful will not give her 3 years is the heartbreaker. Another big draw you are missing is the immediate playing time you would get with graduating and transfers. I have seen girls switch in a minute to get immediate playing time especially if a their buddy going too. I know she can coach just expected more out the gate.

34 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Good quote for most part. Rocky Top’s faithful will not give her 3 years is the heartbreaker. Another big draw you are missing is the immediate playing time you would get with graduating and transfers. I have seen girls switch in a minute to get immediate playing time especially if a their buddy going too. I know she can coach just expected more out the gate.

4 hours ago, tradertwo said:

That first paragraph is EXACTLY what I was saying.  I agree 100%.   Recruiting takes time.  Relationships with these recruits are built over time.  Her only shot at grabbing some top kids quick was taking some top assistant coaches that already had the relationships established.  Even that would be hard for her because it’s hard to bring a top coach or assistant to a dumpster fire.  That’s exactly what we have been for the last several years.  If she can coach then she will recruit well at UT.  Winning fixes everything. 

On 6/16/2019 at 9:35 AM, LadyCavsFan said:

Like I said....2 months.  That’s not enough time.

It's enough time to see what has been done to this point and give an opinion/analysis of it. You just cant bring regular run of the mill players that are not good enough in at Power 5 school, whether it be 2 months or 2 years on the job, and expect great success. I hope she does a great job, I hope she surpasses Pat but the start in recruiting isn't promising.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 10:46 AM, tradertwo said:

I'm glad you're excited. However, let's be realistic. You can't establish yourself by bringing in mediocre, at best, recruits to any Power 5 school. Theres a reason these kids that have signed didnt have offers from high Power 5 programs. You call KJH an "up and coming" coach? She's been a head coach for a long time now and the only Power 5 experience wasn't, as you claim, a success. Recruiting is the life blood of any College team for any sport, you bring mediocrity in you will get that same result. You bring talent in, as Holly did, and lose you're just not that good of a coach. For what we lost and what we  brought in I fully expect a worse season than this year. Yes it was late but when you're coaching at any level you have to have prior established relationships you can lean on to do better than this. They would've been much better off bringing in a couple graduate transfers or really nobody at all than to bring McCoy and the Australian to eat scholarships up for multiple years. Again, some people think being a realist is hating or what not but it's not. Its like looking at you're own kids and knowing their flaws, you have to know them to fix them and try to make them better. Same case here. I dont expect a National or even SEC championship next year, I do expect better recruiting from Day 1 however.

Edited by 99Guy