2019 favorites

reaction

On 9/16/2019 at 8:30 AM, Red Rebels said:

:popcorneater:

Will take the bait. Houston is the only high school for all of Germantown, population nearly 40,000. Brentwood is roughly the same size as Germantown but splits students between Brentwood and Ravenwood. Combine THOSE two schools together and tell me if Houston would have the same "dominating run". Doubtful.

1 hour ago, MoonDogRex said:

Will take the bait. Houston is the only high school for all of Germantown, population nearly 40,000. Brentwood is roughly the same size as Germantown but splits students between Brentwood and Ravenwood. Combine THOSE two schools together and tell me if Houston would have the same "dominating run". Doubtful.

There is a high school in Germantown, TN called Germantown High School. What am I missing here?  Also, we can play hypotheticals all day. I was simply stating that it is impressive as is.

BTW, something tells me Rebel’s popcorn eating emoji wasn’t directed at Houston’s dominance as much as it was at Maryville maybe having something to say about my predicted state championship matchup. And they very-well may.

Memphis and Nashville girls club teams have (generally) had the advantage recent years over those from Knoxville ... translates as well to the AAA high schools.  Houston has a top level boys team, but Station Camp and Bearden have been just as good or better the last few years soccer-wise for boys.

On the girls side,  I still say I will have to see a Knox AAA girls team beat the best from Nashville and Memphis before I believe it.  BUT ... Maryville was in range at state last year against Houston, and I wouldn't put a ton of stock into the lopsided score last week for Houston against Bearden.  Bearden was playing their 3rd game in 3 days and was without 2 top scorers ... I would still assume Houston is better, but they aren't steamrolling (yet) like a couple of years ago.

Red Rebels isn't wrong.  I expect Houston, Brentwood, and probably Bearden and Maryville (if HVA doesn't get healthy) at state.  The draw is the thing.

On 9/17/2019 at 9:40 PM, fernando9 said:

Memphis and Nashville girls club teams have (generally) had the advantage recent years over those from Knoxville ... translates as well to the AAA high schools.  Houston has a top level boys team, but Station Camp and Bearden have been just as good or better the last few years soccer-wise for boys.

On the girls side,  I still say I will have to see a Knox AAA girls team beat the best from Nashville and Memphis before I believe it.  BUT ... Maryville was in range at state last year against Houston, and I wouldn't put a ton of stock into the lopsided score last week for Houston against Bearden.  Bearden was playing their 3rd game in 3 days and was without 2 top scorers ... I would still assume Houston is better, but they aren't steamrolling (yet) like a couple of years ago.

Red Rebels isn't wrong.  I expect Houston, Brentwood, and probably Bearden and Maryville (if HVA doesn't get healthy) at state.  The draw is the thing.

In travel soccer the older age groups from Memphis have been third best in the state for a few years now. The kids in Memphis not having the ECNL competition every week is a big disadvantage.

On 9/15/2019 at 9:49 AM, Elitesports4 said:

Bearden is the best around here lol 7-0 with 0 goals given up

Nice try....There are 4 Public schools within a couple miles of one another. Houston, Germantown, Collierville and Southwind.  In addition, there is Briarcrest & St George's private between them and they are also diluted by St Agnes, St Mary's and Chirstian Brothers on the boys side.  

On 9/15/2019 at 9:49 AM, Elitesports4 said:

Could easily have been 6-0 Houston.  

On 9/15/2019 at 10:49 AM, Elitesports4 said:

On 9/15/2019 at 12:31 PM, ridges82 said:

You’re a little late with that post. They were still undefeated coming into this game today vs Houston, but Collierville and Briarcrest scored on them. Also Houston is up 3-0 on Bearden at halftime. Unless Bearden makes a great come back it looks like Houston is in a league of their own once again this year. I really thought Bearden would give them a better game this year (I still think this will be the state championship match-up though). Houston girls soccer is on one of the most dominating runs in Tennessee high school sports history. Pretty impressive.

Maryville 2

Bearden  1

On 9/16/2019 at 9:30 AM, Red Rebels said:

:popcorneater: