6aaa 2019-20

repoman

17 minutes ago, 90warrior said:

Stone by a bunch!

We played 3 times last year.  They beat by 6, 7, and 8 I think.  And a couple of those games we outplayed them most of the game.  Good luck with that!

37 minutes ago, buc1973 said:

Cookeville comes to SMHS tonight. Thoughts on how they match up? 

We will hurt them with our speed and shooting.  But I think it will come down to rebounding.  Cookeville has dominated the boards all year.   Our guards are physical and rebound extremely well.   If we can do that vs Stone then we can win the game.   Miller and Capps provide matchup problems for us but we will attack the rim and shoot the 3.   I think it will be a close game decided by whoever makes plays in last 3 minutes.   My prediction Cookeville by 4.  

18 minutes ago, LadyCavsFan said:

We played 3 times last year.  They beat by 6, 7, and 8 I think.  And a couple of those games we outplayed them most of the game.  Good luck with that!

We will hurt them with our speed and shooting.  But I think it will come down to rebounding.  Cookeville has dominated the boards all year.   Our guards are physical and rebound extremely well.   If we can do that vs Stone then we can win the game.   Miller and Capps provide matchup problems for us but we will attack the rim and shoot the 3.   I think it will be a close game decided by whoever makes plays in last 3 minutes.   My prediction Cookeville by 4.  

I look forward to watching

Edited by buc1973

34 minutes ago, LadyCavsFan said:

I am curious though: have you actually seen the lady panthers play an entire game this season or just clips? I haven’t seen cookeville at all, which is why I’m making no predictions about matchups. I just find it interesting that you mention only Miller and Capps, when they are just two pieces of the puzzle. 

10 minutes ago, repoman said:

Cavs  have good fortune and beat Sparta at the end. Lady Cavs heaved up some 3 from thier belly buttons deep , if they cont to hit those low % shots will be tough to beat, will have to find inside game tonight, could get ugly unless the heave 3 pointers fall.

We have had good fortune beating them 4 times in a row.  We for sure took some bad shots in the 3rd and let WC back in the game.  But we don’t live by the 3.  On the season around 25% of our shots have been 3s.   We score most of our pts in the paint.  The early 3s success for both team led to bad shots in the second half.  But just like this game, rebounding was huge vs WC.  We had 13 OREB that game.  And the stats are like that every game.  That’s why we are dangerous.  WC had the size advantage at almost every spot and we out rebounded them by double digits.  Looking forward to seeing this battle.

12 minutes ago, LadyCavsFan said:

We have had good fortune beating them 4 times in a row.  We for sure took some bad shots in the 3rd and let WC back in the game.  But we don’t live by the 3.  On the season around 25% of our shots have been 3s.   We score most of our pts in the paint.  The early 3s success for both team led to bad shots in the second half.  But just like this game, rebounding was huge vs WC.  We had 13 OREB that game.  And the stats are like that every game.  That’s why we are dangerous.  WC had the size advantage at almost every spot and we out rebounded them by double digits.  Looking forward to seeing this battle.

Most know defense and White County is like oil and water. Stone is a different animal. Good luck. 

9 minutes ago, buc1973 said:

I am curious though: have you actually seen the lady panthers play an entire game this season or just clips? I haven’t seen cookeville at all, which is why I’m making no predictions about matchups. I just find it interesting that you mention only Miller and Capps, when they are just two pieces of the puzzle. 

Fair enough.  I only mention those two because we are limited on size and those are the toughest matchups for us.  It’s not that I dont think the other players aren’t good.  It’s just that we match up better with guards.  We are a guard heavy team and play 10 players most game.  We play a ton of FR and SO in the rotation and there is very little drop off on our back half.   What we don’t have is height.  That is why I specifically mention Capps and Miller.  I expect them to post up our smaller players and score if they can isolate them on the block.  I watched some video and I watched the Stone vs Bradley game at WC play day.  But based on the last several years I know they will be well coached and play very well.  That’s why I picked them to win 6AAA this year.  There is just something special brewing in Cookeville.  

Ha yeah that’s a bunch.  It was 11 after they made 6 FT in last 1-2:00 minutes.  We played well for 3 qtrs but didn’t show up in the 3rd.  Cant do that against good teams.  The iced the game shooting 24-27 FT.  They did everything they needed to win and we shot terrible. Good win by Stone.

Edited by LadyCavsFan

I didn’t  think tonight’s game was a great game to watch.  There was some runs by both teams but imo the officials were too involved on both sides of the court.  I think the coaches of Stone and Cookeville would say the same thing.  They called a lot of offensive fouls and some quick 3 second calls that just killed the flow of the game.   Stone did what I expected and isolated their bigs on our smaller forwards and guards.  And we never really had an answer for that.  I don’t know what their final numbers were but I would say Miller had 30+ With 15 or more from FT line.  It was a close game the first half (I think it was was 21-19 at the end of 2).  Unfortunately the Lady Cavs didn’t show up in the 3rd qtr.  Stone took a double digit lead after a 14-0 run with sloppy guard play and poor shooting by the Cavs..   The 4th quarter was a different story.  Cookeville started the game 0-15 from 3 before finally hitting 3 straight in the 4th.   Cavs go on a run of the own in the 4th cutting lead to 5 with less than 3:00 left.  In the end Stone stops the Cavs on final 3-4 possessions.  And closed the game scoring the final 6 pts at the FT line stretching the lead to 11.  Props to them.  If you shoot that well from the line it’s very difficult to come back.  

I said earlier today it would come down to the final 3 minutes and it was a two possession game at that point.  Stone made the plays they needed to win and Cookeville came up short.   Stone was the better team tonight and got a big district win.  Congrats.