Barney's list of Hot Seat Candidates for 2019

On 6/22/2019 at 6:20 PM, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

Did you even read the whole article? Also, who can't handle competition? Are you saying people who work for Alcoa City Schools dont want to see their teams succeed? 

Yes I read the whole article. I stand by my statement with one possible minor exception that may have been said as sarcasm. My competition comment was an inside joke to my coach T buddies that know whats really on. 

17 hours ago, 32hammer said:

Yes I read the whole article. I stand by my statement with one possible minor exception that may have been said as sarcasm. My competition comment was an inside joke to my coach T buddies that know whats really on. 

Well, I read the article and think they have legitimate concerns. That's assuming the information about the players is true.

Edited by FightOnForWilliamBlount91

6 minutes ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

Well, I read the article and think they have legitimate concerns. That's assuming the information about the players is true.

Opinions vary.  From an outsiders prospective with no skin in the game, it comes across as simply a petty, personal issue. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

Opinions vary.  From an outsiders prospective with no skin in the game, it comes across as simply a petty, personal issue. 

I would qualify as an outsider with no skin in the game. Also I have been in education for many years on the teaching and administrative side. Based on what the article says I agree it seems like a petty, personal issue. 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2019 at 9:44 PM, BCsportsfan said:

Have your mom and dad read the article to a couple of times and get back with us.......you are the one lost.:blink:

Let's see... The information I took away concerns two players.  One was a player who got kicked out of Maryville and was allowed to go right on over to Alcoa and join the team. Like the person quoted in the paper said, why wasn't he put in the alternative school program? 

And then there is the matter of the transfer from Sevier County and his dad. Those circumstances seem shady as well. 

What am I missing?

34 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I would qualify as an outsider with no skin in the game. Also I have been in education for many years on the teaching and administrative side. Based on what the article says I agree it seems like a petty, personal issue. 

As is often the case, I agree with you my purple friend.

30 minutes ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

Let me get this straight... It's just a petty and personal issue when the school gives special treatment to great athletes and their parents?  There aren't any ethical problems with that? None at all?

No evidence of special treatment was given. Just inferred by some folks. The article even mentions specifically tuition students with high GPAs that are not athletes. They were allowed in under the exact same rules even though they didn't play sports. Again no evidence of special treatment.

23 minutes ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

Those circumstances seem shady as well. 

What am I missing?

I don't bring up negative stuff about kids. But I will address this part of your comment.

Mrs. Piper told us in high school when preparing for debates to never use " seems" because it implies you have no objective evidence.

The coach of my University's debate team also said that "When someone uses phrases such as it seems or it looks like,  they have already lost because they are admitting they have no rational, valid argument to make their point and they must rely on misdirection and emotional response."

But while other people are chasing red herrings,  wild geese, and shaggy dog stories, our kids are working after that 18th state championship trophy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 32hammer said:

As is often the case, I agree with you my purple friend.

No evidence of special treatment was given. Just inferred by some folks. The article even mentions specifically tuition students with high GPAs that are not athletes. They were allowed in under the exact same rules even though they didn't play sports. Again no evidence of special treatment.

I don't bring up negative stuff about kids. But I will address this part of your comment.

Mrs. Piper told us in high school when preparing for debates to never use " seems" because it implies you have no objective evidence.

The coach of my University's debate team also said that "When someone uses phrases such as it seems or it looks like,  they have already lost because they are admitting they have no rational, valid argument to make their point and they must rely on misdirection and emotional response."

But while other people are chasing red herrings,  wild geese, and shaggy dog stories, our kids are working after that 18th state championship trophy.

I use the word seems because I'm going off what was said in the article. 

I'm open to the fact that the information may be false or misleading. Having said that, I'm inclined to believe there is at least some truth there because nobody here has offered any sort of meaningful rebuttal to the story. I've just seen people attacking the school board members and the paper.  If there is nothing there, it ought to be fairly easy to refute what the school board members said.

13 hours ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

I use the word seems because I'm going off what was said in the article. 

I'm open to the fact that the information may be false or misleading. Having said that, I'm inclined to believe there is at least some truth there because nobody here has offered any sort of meaningful rebuttal to the story. I've just seen people attacking the school board members and the paper.  If there is nothing there, it ought to be fairly easy to refute what the school board members said.

I can respect your point of view. But Dr. Bell handled it very well. The complaint was made that the school is focusing too much on athletics and not enough on academics, yet the test scores have gone up. Three of the top GPAs from the class of 2020 are football players, two are tuition students, if I'm not mistaken, one of those very likely to be valedictorian.

The football program specifically, as I mention in another post, went from under 5 players with GPAs over 3.5  in his 1st year to over 25 This year.

I could go on, but the point has been made repeatedly. 

Edited by 32hammer
spelling

38 minutes ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

LOL. Irony.

Go back and read the article. Who was using words like "looks bad" or a variation of "seems? " who used hyperbole like "bringing kids in from Canada? " who was quoted as saying he "didn't give a rats .."? 

Who was talking about academics taking a backseat when test score haven't dropped?

That's classic use of hyperbole, illogical emotion and misdirection.

I know youre just having some fun, but as an intelligent, reasonable person , you really can't take make a rational defense of what happened .