Barney's list of Hot Seat Candidates for 2019

I really don't know of many coaches on the hot seat Barney.  Here's my take on the matter for what its worth:

They are all on the hot seat if they aren't winning.  Folks wanna win and win now.  Better put they wanna win yesterday.  

A lot of coaches are on the move every year.  Seems more and more coaches each year are changing schools.  So the seat at some schools never get warm.  

29 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

I really don't know of many coaches on the hot seat Barney.  Here's my take on the matter for what its worth:

They are all on the hot seat if they aren't winning.  Folks wanna win and win now.  Better put they wanna win yesterday.  

A lot of coaches are on the move every year.  Seems more and more coaches each year are changing schools.  So the seat at some schools never get warm.  

It really is a different day with coaches on the proverbial hot seats.  With social media and the hype that schools get in this day and time, it's about Ws and Ls, and no longer about "developing young men".  Not saying that is a good thing, but that's the way it is, now.  High school football is no different than college football from that standpoint.  Got to win or one is looking for a new job.  

6 minutes ago, Shadroach said:

What a crock. When has it EVER been a HC's job to "Develop young men"?  Isn't that the parents life's work? Does the math instructor fall under that umbrella? His boss at his after school job? Who else shares that responsibility? Now if you said his pastor I could agree. The Coach's job is to develop the young men in his charges skill sets as it pertains to football and the rules that govern the team and the sport with the sole goal of winning games. Many impart great wisdom in the young men along the way others do not. As far as coaches coming and going or making moves to further their careers what could possibly be wrong with that? A Coach is a Man and a Mans #1 responsibility is to his family and if a job change benefits him and his family it is his duty to fulfill that obligation. There is no romance of lifelong loyalty to a program or a company. People know at their work it is a What have you done for me lately world.

The only exception to  this rule is the HC position at WB.

I can't agree with much of this.  Sorry Roach.

3 minutes ago, Shadroach said:

Its all good Southtowner. I enjoy your posts. They're well thought out and to the point. We agree to disagree on this point.

That's fine.

I think this is a what have you done for me lately type world.  I wish it weren't that way myself.

ALL coaches speak of developing young men. But I'm not naive enough to believe that's the way it is with how some coaches are.  Even though that's their spoken word.

I wished everyone that has an opportunity in mentoring and developing young folks would do so.  Whether it be the head coach, assistant coach, math teacher or whomever. I think as a responsible adult that duty falls on all our shoulders.

There's nothing wrong with a coach seeking to better himself and his family.  I don't think anyone is or should argue that point.

I've seen coaches in the past say they're  stepping down to spend more time with the family which is one of the top reasons to step away.  Then turn around and have another coaching job the next week.

Everything is about wins and losses.

There are wins beyond the scoreboard and there are losses when we fall in a dog eat dog world.

2 hours ago, Shadroach said:

What a crock. When has it EVER been a HC's job to "Develop young men"?  Isn't that the parents life's work? Does the math instructor fall under that umbrella? His boss at his after school job? Who else shares that responsibility? Now if you said his pastor I could agree. The Coach's job is to develop the young men in his charges skill sets as it pertains to football and the rules that govern the team and the sport with the sole goal of winning games. Many impart great wisdom in the young men along the way others do not. As far as coaches coming and going or making moves to further their careers what could possibly be wrong with that? A Coach is a Man and a Mans #1 responsibility is to his family and if a job change benefits him and his family it is his duty to fulfill that obligation. There is no romance of lifelong loyalty to a program or a company. People know at their work it is a What have you done for me lately world.

The only exception to  this rule is the HC position at WB.

So, obviously the concept of using parenthesis as a means of illistrating hyperbole went straight over your head.  

Coaches for years have used the "excuse" that influencing players is more important to winning, and it's no surprise that most of those coaches never won anything.  

And I disagree with you on pastors, by the way.  It's not their responsiblities to mold others kids, either.  And I grew up the son of a pastor.  

Edited by HTV

It takes a village. Kids today are around adults that are not there parents the vast majority of the time. I want those adults to feel responsible for helping mold our children into responsible young adults. This is not necessarily their responsibility but can easily be done through modeling this behavior in the way the go about their jobs on a daily basis. When a young person sees a teacher, administrator, coach, etc. on time, well prepared, respectful in the way the address others and so much more this can greatly influence young people and mold them. I would hope that all adults that work with young people strive to help mold them in this way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

It takes a village. Kids today are around adults that are not there parents the vast majority of the time. I want those adults to feel responsible for helping mold our children into responsible young adults. This is not necessarily their responsibility but can easily be done through modeling this behavior in the way the go about their jobs on a daily basis. When a young person sees a teacher, administrator, coach, etc. on time, well prepared, respectful in the way the address others and so much more this can greatly influence young people and mold them. I would hope that all adults that work with young people strive to help mold them in this way. 

One of the best quotes ever... "it's not my job to win football games, my job is molding men... men win you football games." That came from Jim Stowe, and I was lucky enough to know him well enough to see that it wasn't just some catchy line that sounded good, it was the way he taught the game, lived his life, the way he treated others, and what he genuinely believed. It was also in what he expected of people around him... he gave you the feeling that he had the confidence in you to accomplish what he asked, and that got more effort from his people than they knew they had in themselves. The best thing that I can say about him, is that I've never met one of his former players that didn't credit him for molding their character, and making them better people in some way than they would have been without him. Not every person in any kids life will have a positive influence on them, but every kid should have at least one Jim Stowe in their life someplace.

2 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Very well said my friend

7 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Good post