Barney's list of Hot Seat Candidates for 2019

On 6/27/2019 at 9:03 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

Since this is the hot seat thread what other school systems is it almost impossible to be let go other than Heritage and William Blount. Seems to me someone would look like their getting their face dunked in it when the coach goes out and applies for a job nine miles away. Maybe they don't care possibly because they know no one else would hire them. Another one led people on like it was his last year in 2018 turning in the worst team in school history only to come right back like a boom a rang

Station Camp. Great guy I hear but the record isn't there.

Edited by 4thandGoal

On 6/28/2019 at 8:31 PM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

It takes a village. Kids today are around adults that are not there parents the vast majority of the time. I want those adults to feel responsible for helping mold our children into responsible young adults. This is not necessarily their responsibility but can easily be done through modeling this behavior in the way the go about their jobs on a daily basis. When a young person sees a teacher, administrator, coach, etc. on time, well prepared, respectful in the way the address others and so much more this can greatly influence young people and mold them. I would hope that all adults that work with young people strive to help mold them in this way. 

Obviously we want good leadership around our young folks.  Teaching and coaching is just like every other profession - there are good ones and not so good ones.  Fortunately I had more good ones than not around my kids when they were growing up.  But the bottom line is that it was mine and my wifes responsiblity to raise them and not leave it up to a "village".  

My point was that in this day and time one can be the best person walking the planet, but in places where wins are expected to happen coaches who don't win aren't lasting long in those positions.  It is a different day.  

1 hour ago, HTV said:

Obviously we want good leadership around our young folks.  Teaching and coaching is just like every other profession - there are good ones and not so good ones.  Fortunately I had more good ones than not around my kids when they were growing up.  But the bottom line is that it was mine and my wifes responsiblity to raise them and not leave it up to a "village".  

My point was that in this day and time one can be the best person walking the planet, but in places where wins are expected to happen coaches who don't win aren't lasting long in those positions.  It is a different day.  

Great post. Part of the problem now is the "village" has too much influence on kids. If you are depending on your child's coach to dial in his or her's moral compass a look in the mirror would be advisable. 

Edited by 4thandGoal

45 minutes ago, 4thandGoal said:

Great post. Part of the problem now is the "village" has too much influence on kids. If you are depending on your child's coach to dial in his or her's moral compass a look in the mirror would be advisable. 

I don't believe that's what BPM was saying. From the time I was in school (long ago) up to the present, the old "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" adage proves out most of the time, but there's no guarantee that good parenting will keep your kids on the straight and narrow path. There's also no guarantee that an outstanding role model as their teacher, mentor as coach, or a great peer group of friends keep "good kids" away from bad influences and bad choices either, but they all help. You may disagree with me if you like, but I'd rather my child's team be taught the basics of hard work, preparation, teamwork, positive thinking, and love for their teammates and school, and be a "middle of the road" team than be taught that winning at any cost, and by any means is what matters most.

Your comment that "the village has too much influence on kids" is spot on, and the main reason that people of influence for our kids need to be chosen carefully. The other harsh reality is that more kids than you'd believe do not have the positive role models at home that the vast majority of my generation grew up with, and badly need at least one person in their lives to demonstrate good character.

We all want to win. I think that we all want our coaches to be great people too... the problem is weighing one against the other before placing a "good man" on the proverbial hot seat, when in reality the fans calling for a coaching change, or the administration making those decisions could support the coach and change the culture in order to help improve the win/loss record.

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

I don't believe that's what BPM was saying. From the time I was in school (long ago) up to the present, the old "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" adage proves out most of the time, but there's no guarantee that good parenting will keep your kids on the straight and narrow path. There's also no guarantee that an outstanding role model as their teacher, mentor as coach, or a great peer group of friends keep "good kids" away from bad influences and bad choices either, but they all help. You may disagree with me if you like, but I'd rather my child's team be taught the basics of hard work, preparation, teamwork, positive thinking, and love for their teammates and school, and be a "middle of the road" team than be taught that winning at any cost, and by any means is what matters most.

Your comment that "the village has too much influence on kids" is spot on, and the main reason that people of influence for our kids need to be chosen carefully. The other harsh reality is that more kids than you'd believe do not have the positive role models at home that the vast majority of my generation grew up with, and badly need at least one person in their lives to demonstrate good character.

We all want to win. I think that we all want our coaches to be great people too... the problem is weighing one against the other before placing a "good man" on the proverbial hot seat, when in reality the fans calling for a coaching change, or the administration making those decisions could support the coach and change the culture in order to help improve the win/loss record.

Don't disagree with a thing you said.  But, again, the last paragraph is exactly the point I was making.  With the attention high school sports and athletes get on social media and in normal media today, it's about wins and losses.  Not saying that it wrong, right, or indifferent, but just where high school sports have come over time.  

I have two well known friends that played football in the early 60's for one of the small schools that made up Heritage High eventually tell me stories of their head coach back in their playing days. They both said before their school had a blocking sled the coach made the linemen move his station wagon as a sled with him holding down the brake pedal. Also he would bring a cattle prod to practice and zap you on the butt with it if he caught you loafing. They also said you never had parents at a practice nosing around and if they were there something might have happened at home. Different world then compared to the one we live in now days. Could you even imagine a coach bringing a cattle prod to practice in today's time, That would make world news the next day and the coach would be in jail.

Edited by BarneySox2007
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I have two well known friends that played football in the early 60's for one of the small schools that made up Heritage High eventually tell me stories of their head coach back in their playing days. They both said before their school had a blocking sled the coach made the linemen move his station wagon as a sled with him holding down the brake pedal. Also he would bring a cattle prod to practice and zap you on the butt with it if he caught you loafing. They also said you never had parents at a practice nosing around and if they were there something might have happened at home. Different world then compared to the one we live in now days. Could you even imagine a coach bringing a cattle prod to practice in today's time, That would make world news the next day and the coach would be in jail.

What's a station wagon?  You must be really old.  

9 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I don't know of anyone that doesn't want the coach to be a great guy that sets a good example and cares about his players. I do know one thing. When the ole' ball coach quits winning as many games fans often start caring a lot more about those types of things. And that's a shame.

19 hours ago, HTV said:

Don't disagree with a thing you said.  But, again, the last paragraph is exactly the point I was making.  With the attention high school sports and athletes get on social media and in normal media today, it's about wins and losses.  Not saying that it wrong, right, or indifferent, but just where high school sports have come over time.  

I have 14 years of “coaching” experience. I know that’s not a lot be a decent amount. In my 14 years my groups have absolutely dominated at what they did. And I say that not to toot my own horn (pun definitely intended there) but to give my kids the credit. I have found in my 14 years that I am not the greatest “coach”. But what makes my kids so successful is that they know I care. I don’t just make it about wins and losses. I invest in them morally and they know that I would do anything for them. Because of that they have complete trust in me and work unbelievable hard for me. They would eat nails for me if I told them it would make them better. I agree with you that I’m todays society it is about wins and losses. And if a coach wants to stick around they better understand that. But in my opinion the truly great coaches invest in the kids to achieve the wins. On the field and off.