Intriguing non-region games in West Tennessee

2 hours ago, Tide21 said:

South Gibson hurt humboldt pretty bad. They lost a lot of kids. 

South Gibson did hurt them. Also some people live in Humboldt and send their kids to elementary school in Gadsden 5mins down the road which is a Crockett co school. Also the fact that there are 4 private schools in north Jackson doesn’t help. 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

South Gibson did hurt them. Also some people live in Humboldt and send their kids to elementary school in Gadsden 5mins down the road which is a Crockett co school. Also the fact that there are 4 private schools in north Jackson doesn’t help. 

I don’t think the private schools impact humboldt much. They were there before the school lost the majority of the kids. 

What absolutely killed Humboldt is when they ran Dan Bland out of town infavor of the home town hero. Well, the hero coached them like the middle school coach he was. The Vikings were a good football team just a few years ago.  From what I know, the ship has been righted and the are moving in the right direction. However, much damage was done and it will take time.

16 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

What absolutely killed Humboldt is when they ran Dan Bland out of town infavor of the home town hero. Well, the hero coached them like the middle school coach he was. The Vikings were a good football team just a few years ago.  From what I know, the ship has been righted and the are moving in the right direction. However, much damage was done and it will take time.

People seem to forget they where in deep playoff runs a few years ago !!!!! Fierce battles with UC in the regular season and playoffs !!!!! Such a short memory when success or lack there of is envolved though !!!!

18 minutes ago, PeabodyPride said:

People seem to forget they where in deep playoff runs a few years ago !!!!! Fierce battles with UC in the regular season and playoffs !!!!! Such a short memory when success or lack there of is envolved though !!!!

Can happen to anyone, look at Marion County. Extremely good team in 15&16 now they struggle to get a .500 season for whatever reason.

47 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

+1 on the Dan Bland comment. Should’ve never gave him the boot. They went on a run where they didn’t lose a single district game for 4 years until 2012. Peabody beat them twice in that season & Humboldt decided it was time to cut ties with Bland. Worst move that they could’ve made at that time.

1 hour ago, ReitzFan said:

Yes and I agree, but I think if this time is developed well, they should be in the mix for the playoffs. They can take care of their easy schedule and beat teams that they should beat or be in those games. The Scott’s Hill game will prove to me (probably all of us) of how much improvement they have. Making the playoffs is a win for this team and the community.

21 hours ago, Tide21 said:

I don’t think the private schools impact humboldt much. They were there before the school lost the majority of the kids. 

No sir. 1995 Humboldt played for a 3A state title. Let that soak in. 3A back in the old 5 class days was ALOT of kids. In the ball park of 700. No they barely have 200. At the same time there was no TCA then and no Sacred Heart of Jesus. USJ and JCS have grown tremendously in that same amount of time. Most of the growth in private schools has come from JMCSS kids leaving the school system. And most of the growth in South Gibson can be attributed to the same. But don’t let the smooth taste fool you. There is a reason that USJ sends a bus up 412 every day to Dburg. Kids in the surrounding towns are going and Humboldt is no exception. 

23 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

No sir. 1995 Humboldt played for a 3A state title. Let that soak in. 3A back in the old 5 class days was ALOT of kids. In the ball park of 700. No they barely have 200. At the same time there was no TCA then and no Sacred Heart of Jesus. USJ and JCS have grown tremendously in that same amount of time. Most of the growth in private schools has come from JMCSS kids leaving the school system. And most of the growth in South Gibson can be attributed to the same. But don’t let the smooth taste fool you. There is a reason that USJ sends a bus up 412 every day to Dburg. Kids in the surrounding towns are going and Humboldt is no exception. 

We are close to the same age like 2 years apart. I played football against humboldt and Milan in those years.   The majority of people who live IN humboldt aren’t sending their kids to private schools they can’t afford it.   I’m not talking humboldt addresses. There are humboldt addresses in trenton Medina Gadsden Milan Madison county and Crockett county.  They lost the majority of their kids to south gibson.  Yes I know there is maybe 200 kids they combined the high school and junior high.  I’ve been around here all my life you aren’t telling me anything I don’t already know 

1 hour ago, Tide21 said:

We are close to the same age like 2 years apart. I played football against humboldt and Milan in those years.   The majority of people who live IN humboldt aren’t sending their kids to private schools they can’t afford it.   I’m not talking humboldt addresses. There are humboldt addresses in trenton Medina Gadsden Milan Madison county and Crockett county.  They lost the majority of their kids to south gibson.  Yes I know there is maybe 200 kids they combined the high school and junior high.  I’ve been around here all my life you aren’t telling me anything I don’t already know 

I don’t disputed that the majority are going to south Gibson. You are 100% correct about that. I just meant that the private’s expansion did have some effect on Humboldt. But you know my wife and I were talking about the impact of south Gibson today. Before the opened you had 1 county high school (Gibson Co HS) and they were 3A.  Now you have a 3A and a 2A high school. Those students came from somewhere. Humboldt and JMCSS are the obvious answers. 

57 minutes ago, Tide21 said:

There's no denying that their numbers are way down, but there's also no question that they still have athletes. South Pittsburg has some over two hundred kids, and they've been a perennial contender for a title for decades, with a few (very few) odd years where they were outgunned. Reitz nailed the reason that Humboldt has fallen off more so than losing numbers and talent being recruited away... when Bland left, the appeal of playing football for the Vikings left with him.

20 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I don’t disputed that the majority are going to south Gibson. You are 100% correct about that. I just meant that the private’s expansion did have some effect on Humboldt. But you know my wife and I were talking about the impact of south Gibson today. Before the opened you had 1 county high school (Gibson Co HS) and they were 3A.  Now you have a 3A and a 2A high school. Those students came from somewhere. Humboldt and JMCSS are the obvious answers. 

South gibson is comprised of humboldt kids and the majority are jackson kids whose parents fled the the Jackson school system and some kids who would have attended Gibson county.   I’m pretty sure that south gibson is almost 4a in football. The way they are building houses they will be 4a before long.  My question is what is Medina going to do when they don’t have enough room for the kids that keep rolling in ?