MURPHY FAIR 2019

Southtowner

32nd annual edition of Murphy Fair’s TENNESSEE HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALLmagazine is now at the printer. He will begin his 3,600 mile journey in mid-July, delivering magazines to outlets and booster clubs all over the state. Individual copies of the magazine can be ordered through the mail by sending a check or money order for $17.00 to: Murphy Fair Publications, 121 April Lane, Readyville, TN 37149
Cover2019.PNG
Coaches and members of the media from one end of the state to the other were contacted in hopes of finding many of the best senior football players in Tennessee again this year. These are not necessarily the top 12, but certainly are among the best in our state. Our list this year includes, from left to right, top to bottom, Derrell Bailey Jr. of Greenback, Devyn Curtis of Brentwood Academy, Bryson Eason of Whitehaven, Dajeon Gibson of Blackman, John Hardy of McCallie, Marcus Henderson of Memphis University School, Tee Hodge of Maryville, Keshawn Lawrence of Ensworth, Cooper Mays of Knoxville Catholic, De’Arre McDonald of Oakland, Omari Thomas of Briarcrest and Elijah Young of South Doyle.

40 minutes ago, knoxfan28 said:

David Crockett is way too overrated. Bring them down against some Knoxville teams and they start to struggle real fast. And I'm surprised an Oak Ridge team who lost so many players is ranked in the top 5. No doubt will still be good but I don't know about top 5.

It is that old saying, " Oak Ridge reloads not rebuilds. " The Wildcats should have a nice mix of seniors, experienced OL, a junior class that was undefeated as freshmen and a difficult schedule designed to prepare the Cats for a deep playoff run. Of course, I don't  know much in reality.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, knoxfan28 said:

David Crockett is way too overrated. Bring them down against some Knoxville teams and they start to struggle real fast. And I'm surprised an Oak Ridge team who lost so many players is ranked in the top 5. No doubt will still be good but I don't know about top 5.

I agree with most of what you’ve put so far, but this I disagree. Crockett is going to have an outstanding offense this year, their QB is the real deal. Also many fast athletes at WR and RB, big OL. Now they lost some key players on their Defense including the MLB who was a stud. I do believe DC will be a force to be reckoned with if they stay healthy. Go Bobcats

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chsbobcat09 said:

I agree with most of what you’ve put so far, but this I disagree. Crockett is going to have an outstanding offense this year, their QB is the real deal. Also many fast athletes at WR and RB, big OL. Now they lost some key players on their Defense including the MLB who was a stud. I do believe DC will be a force to be reckoned with if they stay healthy. Go Bobcats

Local sports news up here reported the other day that Crockett graduated 8 defensive starters, but still they are headed in the right direction as you said.......

9 hours ago, chsbobcat09 said:

Do I think Crockett will go undefeated in the regular season? Yes. Webb will put up a fight against them but they will get the win. Playoffs last year they almost got beat by Halls although they did put a fight against your Bobcats. I think every year they will get to the playoffs against Knoxville athletes and struggle. QB is the real deal and they have a great receiver but the talent level just isn't the same in upper east tennessee. I have them going to the second round but getting knocked out by either SD or Central. 

24 minutes ago, knoxfan28 said:

Do I think Crockett will go undefeated in the regular season? Yes. Webb will put up a fight against them but they will get the win. Playoffs last year they almost got beat by Halls although they did put a fight against your Bobcats. I think every year they will get to the playoffs against Knoxville athletes and struggle. QB is the real deal and they have a great receiver but the talent level just isn't the same in upper east tennessee. I have them going to the second round but getting knocked out by either SD or Central. 

I said in an earlier thread that nobody (5A/6A) northeast of Knox County would get past round 3, because as you say, the talent level is not there.    Also, NET teams (5A/6A) just do not take football that seriously.   It's pretty serious business on Friday nights under the lights but that is about the only time.

57 minutes ago, knoxfan28 said:

I wouldn't say the Talent level isn't the same about NE Tennessee teams the main difference is Culture and Coaching.  There have been same dang good athletes come out of NE TN and play for a while in the NFL. (jason Witten, Aubrayo Franklin, the Sensabaughs, Daniel Kilgore, Jake Grove, etc.).  If Greeneville (Which is farm country and a small place) can compete then there is no reason that other schools in NE TN can't but once again it goes back to culture and coaching which is lacking with almost ever school outside of Greeneville and I would say Elizabethton.

Edited by Swipes
  • Like 1