Wow...2019 HS Volleyball will be here soon!

Rockstar89

The Club season is complete and now that dead period is over many teams are practicing, attending camps, and I even know of a few play days kicking off in the next few weeks. For most teams, school (and the season) begins in a month! Incredible!

I look forward to the back and forth, and will start some division level threads like we did last year once the season gets moving!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Osage said:

This is Siegel's year. I know Williamson County has won AAA for, what 10 or 12 years running, but I think this is the year that streak ends.

Every pre-season it's "Siegel's year".  They dominate Rutherford county then run into Brentwood and realize its not their year.  For the record, Brentwood will succeed for a 7th straight state championship and Siegel will be the Rutherford county champions for however many times in a row it is now.

I don't recall ever not thinking it was going to be Brentwood holding up that AAA trophy, maybe not since Kat was at Ravewnood. But this year is different. Brentwood relied on Tori for 4 years, and I just don't think you'll be able to replace her leadership, size, consistency, and steady hand.

Too many kids are going to be asked to do more than they ever have. Brentwood has always had 2 full teams' worth of kids who could compete for state. That depth, and that depth of experience, just isn't there. It's a very inexperienced group, by Brentwood standards: returning experience at middle and one pin (and not much else), and those kids will have to mesh with the newest influx of move-ins at setter and libero. Those kids do have some good experience, just not at Brentwood.

Look, Brentwood is obviously the team to beat in 12-AAA, with Ravenwood just behind and... not much else. So the path to state is laid out, again, just like it is for Siegel. But Siegel is returning so much experience, and new urgency with a new coach. Like I said, this year is different.

All opinions, obviously.

Tori can't be replaced but the senior setter who transferred in from California is very good.  Sets a great ball.  That's coming from the girls who she'll be setting.  Inexperience is not a word I think of when you're describing a team who will start 3 players with a combined 5 state championships between them and several tournament wins.  The pin and middle you referred to are amazing, the RS was an All-Region player as a freshman, the libero has great experience and will fit in just fine with the way she plays, and the player who moved from K2 can play all around and would start for any school in the state.  

All facts, not opinions.

I admire your certainty, but I am not persuaded by it. The bar Brentwood has set based on previous performance is too high. That success relied on a much more solid foundation (more talent and more depth) than you are describing with this year's team. I think (opinion, mind) you are under-valuing how much Brentwood has had to work with over this past decade.

Also, I thought your setter moved from Illinois. Or did you also get a California kid?

(Tongue slightly in cheek now...)  

I do think you are going about this the wrong way. The veteran move is to be doubtful and uncertain, then credit hard work or good coaching for overcoming insurmountable obstacles. Otherwise, you're just the incumbent who wins only because you are Brentwood.

For example, suppose I were Ravenwood ...

"We lost 6 seniors to graduation, all of whom were key players. Another probable returning starter (our best server) has given up volleyball. and we don't really have anyone to replace her. We're counting on kids who have a history of injury issues, plus our setter has very little net presence. Worst of all, we don't even start practice until the end of July, so everyone else is going to be way ahead of us once the season starts. We're in trouble."

See how that works? And then when Ravenwood advances to State in October, expectations have been exceeded. 

I would love to think BHS won't win the state, but I tend to agree with TT.  I do think SHS will be--once again--in the final 4 and possibly final game.   I've never actually thought Siegel could win the state championship, just hopeful it's someone other than Wilco.  I long for the days with DB, Farragut, Germantown etc brought legit title contenders to the state. 

17 hours ago, Osage said:

I do think you are going about this the wrong way. The veteran move is to be doubtful and uncertain, then credit hard work or good coaching for overcoming insurmountable obstacles. Otherwise, you're just the incumbent who wins only because you are Brentwood.

It's an environment of winning.  Every year the goal is to win state, nothing less.  That's the veteran move of a multi-state championships program.  Setting the bar low is not in that programs DNA.

That sounds suspiciously like "We win because we're Brentwood." No, you've won because you've had the best players, and you've had lots and lots of them. This is less true this year than it has ever been. I don't say that to denigrate the kids in the program now, but rather to remind you how good the kids were who are gone. 

It's mid-July. You guys are already in the gym, many are not, but either way, October is a long way off. I promise to come correct then if I am wrong.

I made contact with some WILLCO and Rutherford County friends and led them to read your posts asking for their feedback.  12AAA graduated a lot of overall talent this past May and early graduation and relocations accounted for some additional losses.  WILLCO schools will be looking for younger Club kids to have developed and kids that transferred.  Most believe the District from top to bottom will be down this year and the 2nd team depth for those top 3-4 teams has been affected but will replenish.  As always, staying away from injury will be important.

This may not be 100% accurate, but by position, several schools are looking to replace Seniors and/or starters:

Setter (Brentwood, Indy, Page and Summit)

Middle (Brentwood, Centennial, Indy, Ravenwood and Summit)

Pin - OH and RS (Brentwood, Centennial, Franklin, Page and Ravenwood)

Libero (Brentwood, Centennial, Indy, Page, Ravenwood and Summit)

DS (Brentwood, Centennial, Indy, Page, Ravenwood and Summit)

They felt Brentwood and Ravenwood were the top two followed by Page and Indy.

Brentwood will be junior and sophomore led while Ravenwood will have a nice senior/junior blend. 

Page and Indy have a lot of returning seniors but will be identifying new floor leaders.   

To your reservation about Brentwood, the setter, libero and OH/DS positions will be filled by top level Club players who all played for highly competitive TPV teams and practiced with and against each other every day.  Their chemistry will develop quickly. 

Ravenwood will look to identify a libero but will be led by their excellent OH in Camille Spencer.

Regarding Siegel, it appears they lost a lot of talent (their top OH and LIB) as well and their long-time Coach who moved into the Rutherford County Schools administrative ranks.  I think the experience that is returning is good but may be overstated.  Their all-state Setter is a real difference maker.  Sometimes a new leader/voice can have an immediate impact so time will tell.  My guess is that will be more meaningful in 2020 versus this season as she settles in and the players get adjusted.  New urgency – if you are a top program as Brentwood, Ravenwood and Siegel are, there’s always urgency.   

I do agree with TT about approach, downplaying your chances and hoping to surprise at the end once the team jells has produced Ravenwood one State championship runner-up finish and a disappointing Sub-State loss to Station Camp and missing out on the State tournament during what was a tough, injury-riddled season last year.  All the while, Brentwood was successful both seasons.

Everyone will know soon enough who the top teams are as the season gets kicked off with play-days and early season matches within a couple weeks.

Lots to unpack there, more than I have time today, but 2 quick things:

First, have your WillCo and Rutherford County friends stick around! There are only, what, 4 or 5 of us here, a broader perspective will make it more interesting, more useful, more informative. Hi friends!

Second, I know Siegel lost their senior libero, but they have a good one (one of your 16's kids, in fact) returning. I don't think they will lose anything there.

On 7/22/2019 at 8:50 AM, Osage said:

Second, I know Siegel lost their senior libero, but they have a good one (one of your 16's kids, in fact) returning. I don't think they will lose anything there.

She's a good player but would be the third best at her position if she played in WilCo.