Wow...2019 HS Volleyball will be here soon!

Rockstar89

Brentwood and Father Ryan opened the season last night with a very good match up.  Brentwood won 3-0 but all three sets were close.  Only three returning players from last years team and they lead the Bruins to a scrappy win.  Juniors Eggelston (19 kills) and Oldham (6 kills) along with Sophomore Tate (10 kills) looked good.  Still have a little work on the back end but I assume that will be cleaned up by the end of the weekend.  52 teams will be in Knoxville for the Showdown at the Sphere tournament.  AAA State Championship rematch game tonight at Siegel. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, clifford20 said:

is Siegel healthy?  I saw a post earlier about that.   Can't wait to hear how that match goes.

They were not healthy Saturday when we played them.  I can't imagine those girls are out of boots and playing at a top level 4 days later.  This has the makings of a blow out.  With Siegel's injuries and a little extra motivation for Brentwood from some "friendly banter" during the off season, 

On 8/20/2019 at 4:10 PM, SummaryJudgment said:

Yes, the person is not officially affiliated with TPV. But people have the impression that the person is a TPV representative.

If TPV really was against whatever this person is doing, they should be clear about that. Otherwise, they get to reap the benefits of that person agitating on their behalf, getting kids in their gym and keeping the bills paid, without having to own the reality that this does, indeed, undermine local high school programs. "We aren't suggesting kids skip high school seasons, it's That Guy!" 

Plausible deniability again, just like with their Rick Butler relationship. Play the card when it suits you, but disavow it when it doesn't. 

Savvy.

2 hours ago, Osage said:

If TPV really was against whatever this person is doing, they should be clear about that. Otherwise, they get to reap the benefits of that person agitating on their behalf, getting kids in their gym and keeping the bills paid, without having to own the reality that this does, indeed, undermine local high school programs. "We aren't suggesting kids skip high school seasons, it's That Guy!" 

Plausible deniability again, just like with their Rick Butler relationship. Play the card when it suits you, but disavow it when it doesn't. 

Savvy.

It is ridiculous.  I would rather my daughter have been less skilled and play high school, then to be slightly more skilled and not.   I blame parents more than anyone else.    I would never allow anyone to steer me into making decisions for my daughter that I don't agree with. 

If the high school coach is awful/hateful etc, that is a reason to consider not playing.  But that doesn't appear to be the issue.   

2 hours ago, Osage said:

Heard you swept, but that's all. How did it go? How many walking boots were on their bench?

Cant remember the 1st set score but would 25-19 then 25-20, 25-17.  Typing those scores made it sound a a lot closer then it actually was.  Brentwood's front row was hitting bombs all night.  Two in boots that I saw.   

49 minutes ago, Osage said:

TT, good luck in Knoxville this weekend. (Anybody else here playing... ? Same wishes to you.)

How did it go with Harpeth Hall yesterday? Big, dangerous team, they'll make noise in the private school bracket, but I imagine you had an easy time.

3-0.  Solid win.

Lots of good teams this weekend.  Link to the teams here:

https://results.advancedeventsystems.com/event/SzJfU2hvd2Rvd25fYXRfdGhlX1N1bnNwaGVyZV9fXzIwMTk1/divisions/-50007/overview 

Interesting look at the scores from the Sunsphere tourney. Sacred Heart out of KY must be a pretty good team to run the table and take out both Brentwood & Ravenwood to win it all. Also saw where Page didn't even score in double digits against them. siegel went 3-3, losing to Ravenwood twice and Brentwood once, although the score seems to indicate they gave Brentwood all they could handle. Looks like there was some pretty good competition. 

In other action, Hume-Fogg won the Smyrna Bulldog Bash. They are a tall, lanky team that plays well together. Not elite, but a solid AA team. I will be interested to see how (or if) they can compete with Nolensville since everyone says how good they are this year. 

Lipscomb Academy won the MTCS tourney over Summertown. This tourney was another with several small schools. Lots of volleyball this weekend!

Tough weekend for the Bruins.  Congrats to Sacred Heart, a very good team loaded with top KiVA players.  We had our first injury bug bite us as our 1 Middle is in a boot for another week, but will she will be back.  3rd place will be motivation for these girls.  Ravenwood look pretty good (heavy doses of Camille) when I saw them.  Although, based on the championship game, it looks like they ran out of steam in the championship game against SH.  

On 8/24/2019 at 10:20 PM, Rockstar89 said:

In other action, Hume-Fogg won the Smyrna Bulldog Bash. They are a tall, lanky team that plays well together. Not elite, but a solid AA team. I will be interested to see how (or if) they can compete with Nolensville since everyone says how good they are this year. 

I have not seen Hune-Fogg play but I am familiar with a couple of their key players.  They definitely look the part, I hope they can play the part.  The size or Hune-Fogg will be tough for Nolensville but I think they have enough all around defense to get by.  It'll be fun you watch those two teams play