Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Violet
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Maroon
  • Orange
  • Gold
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Welcome to the upgraded message boards!  Please note: if you have been using a username to sign in that is different than the handle (display name) displayed on the boards, you must now sign in with either your handle (display name) or the email address associated with your account.  If you don't know what this means, then it probably doesn't affect you!

NotSurprised

Way too early team rankings

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, durdon said:

Uh? Bradley won’t win a match against Baylor this year.   Baylor is going to be absolutely loaded  with the 4 new guys they are adding..  Baylor will finish this season this season ranked in the top 10 teams in the country.  They are going to be at a completely different level than the rest of the teams in TN. 

So why isn’t anyone saying who all they are adding? We keep hearing of all this, but no names 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PurpleWrestler said:

So why isn’t anyone saying who all they are adding? We keep hearing of all this, but no names 

113 Nick Corday - 

152 Anthony Manilla - 

160 Omuary Alvarez - 

170 Porter Faulk - 

All 4 of these kids are major hammers.  Add them to Noah, Dendy, Bond, Harper, Duffy and they are loaded. 

Edited by durdon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, durdon said:

  Baylor will finish this season this season ranked in the top 10 teams in the country.  

That's a bold statement. They may be loaded but there isn't a team from TN in the last decade that cracks the top 10 in the country list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In order to crack the top 50 in the nation, a team needs to wrestle in multiple tournaments vs top teams and place above those top teams.  Prior to this year, TSSAA teams have been limited to the # of out of state tournaments they could travel and compete in.  The new rule change will now allow this and open the door for teams willing to travel multiple times in a season.  

4. Article IV, Section 2 (Contests with Out-of-State Teams) This rule will be restructured. It will be left up to the individual school and/or school district administration to decide how many out-of-state trips over 600 miles round-trip a sports program takes during the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, durdon said:

113 Nick Corday - 

152 Anthony Manilla - 

160 Omuary Alvarez - 

170 Porter Faulk - 

All 4 of these kids are major hammers.  Add them to Noah, Dendy, Bond, Harper, Duffy and they are loaded. 

Good to see that Baylor will continue to recruit... no surprise that they are continuing to nab kids out of GA.  Just continuing that recent trend.  I believe McCallie also picked up some help this year as well.

Not sure how much help freshmen middle to upper-weights will be in their first year of high school (Alvarez, Faulk) on the national level... that is usually a pretty big adjustment.  Usually see kids like that pay more dividends a little later in the career, at least at the national level.  I would probably wait and see how they do before proclaiming that Baylor will push into a top 10 national spot.  I would imagine that they have success in state this year to a degree given the relative clearing out of some of those weights in DII but these are guys who did lose matches at the middle school level last season.

Corday was solid last year, remember him giving Dalrymple and Bond close matches at Kansas City.  I would definitely see him as a title threat in DII at that weight this year, particularly with I assume most of last year's top end kids in the bottom two weights moving past 113.

 

Edited by ghouse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ummmno said:

That's a bold statement. They may be loaded but there isn't a team from TN in the last decade that cracks the top 10 in the country list.

I don't ever remember a team from Tennessee being ranked in the Top 25 at the end of the season.  The only exception may be the McCallie team that won the Bethlehem Christmas Tournament back in the early 90's.

If the boarding schools continue to be allowed the opportunity to go outside the State of Tennessee and get whatever athletes they can get into their school all the other schools might as well concede the state championship to a boarding school.  I said 30 years ago that if Baylor & McCallie ever decide to get serious about athletics everyone else will be playing for 3rd place.  Don't get me wrong I enjoy competing against the best kids in the country with the kids that have been locally developed but the idea of a team state championship will be close to impossible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cbg said:

I don't ever remember a team from Tennessee being ranked in the Top 25 at the end of the season.  The only exception may be the McCallie team that won the Bethlehem Christmas Tournament back in the early 90's.

If the boarding schools continue to be allowed the opportunity to go outside the State of Tennessee and get whatever athletes they can get into their school all the other schools might as well concede the state championship to a boarding school.  I said 30 years ago that if Baylor & McCallie ever decide to get serious about athletics everyone else will be playing for 3rd place.  Don't get me wrong I enjoy competing against the best kids in the country with the kids that have been locally developed but the idea of a team state championship will be close to impossible.  

The schools in the best states compete against private schools with similar situations to what you are describing. I think Baylor potentially making a jump to the next level is one of the best things that could happen to Tennessee wrestling. Cleveland is well on their way to getting over that hump as well. We must continue to seek out progress in order to catch the states that are ahead of us. With the sport changing so much in the country now is the time for us to embrace change and make a jump as a state. With the economic and population growth in Nashville and Murfreesboro those schools will benefit from wrestling clubs that I believe will start popping up, like what has happened in Atlanta and the impact its had on Georgia wrestling. FR will always find a way to compete.

 

On the note of  where they may be nationally ranked, I agree with barbwire to an extent. It is going to be difficult to break the top 25, but they should be making their way into the top 50 for sure. Where they fall will definitely depend on their schedule. Cleveland was right inside the top 50 last year and if Baylor can crack into it this year it will be great for Tennessee wrestling. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Announcements



×
×
  • Create New...