Milan 2019

On 8/9/2019 at 2:21 PM, Waker said:

That makes sense. It was truly a honest question. It was no offense to the players. They played hard. It was little things like breaking the huddle with 12 after change of possessions. 

Again, I am not defending the coaching. I am only saying that the MMS coaching staff has been there for less than a month...Not sure why Nelson left. The article in the paper said 0 about it. ( aside from there was a change )  I hate everything purple! I hope the never win another game!

On 8/10/2019 at 8:25 AM, WarEagleCartman said:

I have no knowledge of this either way so I can't speak on it. Even so. Holding an average kid back wont make him a top 100 recruit for his class the next year

Grandson is a 4th grader and one of the youngest kids in his class. Some of his classmates were held back strictly for athletics and some are almost 2 years older than he is. It's not fair and should be stopped. I know some kids should be held back for maturity reasons but not for sports.

31 minutes ago, Croppygenius said:

Grandson is a 4th grader and one of the youngest kids in his class. Some of his classmates were held back strictly for athletics and some are almost 2 years older than he is. It's not fair and should be stopped. I know some kids should be held back for maturity reasons but not for sports.

No way to police that Croppy. TSSAA has a maximum participation age, and a class repetition rule that forces a kid to sit out a calendar year, which extends backward into middle school, and that's about as far reaching as an athletic organization, or government (school system) can delve into personal affairs. I'm with you in my dislike of the situation, it's not entirely fair for the younger kids on opposite teams nor the same team, with younger upperclassmen competing for a spot, but it's also a bad situation for the kid being held back a year. In most cases that I've seen, the child wasn't started late, but somewhere around 7'th or 8'th grade a class was repeated, separating him/her from the group that they should graduate with. I was a late bloomer anyway, and my birthday a couple of days from starting 1'st grade the following year. For my entire school experience, I was the small, physically immature kid who had to be smarter than the rest to compete with them, and boy it felt good to be able to pull that off, even once in a while... that stays with you when the hormones kick in, and your body "catches up" too.

One of the local school's baseball squad won state some years back with three kids who could conceivably have been entering their junior year of college that fall (one of them turned 20 four days after the championship game), but it was all "legal" in the eyes of TSSAA and the educational system, I don't see any way to change that either.

1 hour ago, Croppygenius said:

It makes a lot bigger difference the younger you are. But by the time puberty hits it doesn't matter as much. Some kids are just bigger and stronger or more athletically gifted regardless. 2 guys come to mind I grew up with both. One was a dominant skills position player who was in the grade below me but was 2 months older. The other was probably the youngest kid in my grade and ok at best for his position. You could've switched the twos class, it didn't matter. The dominant one would've still been dominant and the ok one would still be ok. 

13 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

It makes a lot bigger difference the younger you are. But by the time puberty hits it doesn't matter as much. Some kids are just bigger and stronger or more athletically gifted regardless. 2 guys come to mind I grew up with both. One was a dominant skills position player who was in the grade below me but was 2 months older. The other was probably the youngest kid in my grade and ok at best for his position. You could've switched the twos class, it didn't matter. The dominant one would've still been dominant and the ok one would still be ok. 

Now I know you your lying. What dominant player have y’all had come thru West Carroll???

Here is a report on the Milan vs Dyersburg scrimmage this past Friday at Milan. (I was not there so all this info is from a good friend who was there). Starters for both teams played the first half. Milan was up 7-0 at halftime. Backups played the second half with Dburg scoring with less than a min to go and getting the 2pt conversion to win the scrimmage 8-7. Would have liked to see the starters play more than a half. They will only get a half this coming week verses Union City and the following week they play the champs in Peabody. Will be a 4qtr battle. I hope they are conditioned for it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2019 at 8:31 PM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Here is a report on the Milan vs Dyersburg scrimmage this past Friday at Milan. (I was not there so all this info is from a good friend who was there). Starters for both teams played the first half. Milan was up 7-0 at halftime. Backups played the second half with Dburg scoring with less than a min to go and getting the 2pt conversion to win the scrimmage 8-7. Would have liked to see the starters play more than a half. They will only get a half this coming week verses Union City and the following week they play the champs in Peabody. Will be a 4qtr battle. I hope they are conditioned for it. 

I must say that even I was not expecting the game as it was played.   I'm sure much was learned from this game.  I wish yall luck the rest of the season!