Milan 2019

On 8/24/2019 at 12:51 PM, MidStateFan1 said:

This is a major overstatement. Peabody is going to win the 2A state championship as long as they avoid major injuries. However, they would lose to Haywood, Henry County, and Dyersburg. The depth would be too much. Don't get me started with all the Middle Tennessee larger schools they would lose to. They have 12 really good seniors, but there's only 12. They play a ton of players both ways, you're not beating good big schools having to play that many players both ways. Again, great at the 2a level, but saying they would beat any 5a school is ignorant, and should be called out on it. Depth comes into play when you play larger schools. Now......You have to admit Milan has underachieved going back to even Morris's last couple years. Peabody's personnel is probably a little better than Milan's, but not 35-14 better. Not -24 yards at half better. They are simply better COACHED! 

Peabody does start a bunch both ways but we also have players that rotate at positions also. We did have 2nd string third string players in in second half and yes baugus was still running I have no idea why. The only thing I can think of is third string qb maybe wasn’t ready.  The second string qb is a wr/rb.  I’m guessing coach didn’t want fumbles.  We were suppose to scrimmage Haywood this year. They backed out due to just getting a new coach.  As far as depth Milan starts 2 players both ways and that didn’t effect the outcome. Apparently we are 35-14 better or we wouldn’t have won 35-14.   

I do think Milan or really good and they have a bunch of talented players. I think they weren’t prepared for what Peabody did.  Milan’s coaches will get it figured out. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tide21 said:

Peabody does start a bunch both ways but we also have players that rotate at positions also. We did have 2nd string third string players in in second half and yes baugus was still running I have no idea why. The only thing I can think of is third string qb maybe wasn’t ready.  The second string qb is a wr/rb.  I’m guessing coach didn’t want fumbles.  We were suppose to scrimmage Haywood this year. They backed out due to just getting a new coach.  As far as depth Milan starts 2 players both ways and that didn’t effect the outcome. Apparently we are 35-14 better or we wouldn’t have won 35-14.   

I do think Milan or really good and they have a bunch of talented players. I think they weren’t prepared for what Peabody did.  Milan’s coaches will get it figured out. 

I agree with everything you just said. 

• Upvote 1

Haywood did not back out of a scrimmage with Peabody lol. Misinformation. Just a timing thing. I’ve seen both teams and Haywood would get the best of this one. They were not at their best against HC and never were threatened. Peabody is a very good 2A team. But sounds like someone needs a reality check. Tell your coach to give the Tomcats a call. I’m sure a future game could be had. 

Can't believe the final Friday. I knew Milan was in for a hard fought battle, but I never thought it would get out of hand like it did. I think Milan will be perfectly fine by seasons end, which is all that really matters. The first game of the year can be a crap shoot. 

All of this talk about Henry Co, Milan, Peabody, and Haywood has me wondering just who the best team in west Tennessee is, across all classes. I would assume that Peabody would be fairly high, as would Haywood. 

34 minutes ago, JoeBlow777 said:

Can't believe the final Friday. I knew Milan was in for a hard fought battle, but I never thought it would get out of hand like it did. I think Milan will be perfectly fine by seasons end, which is all that really matters. The first game of the year can be a crap shoot. 

All of this talk about Henry Co, Milan, Peabody, and Haywood has me wondering just who the best team in west Tennessee is, across all classes. I would assume that Peabody would be fairly high, as would Haywood. 

I hope you are right about Milan. As far as the best in West TN is concerned I honestly feel it is Peabody. Regardless of class (excluding Shelby Co). I think Haywood is nipping at their heels. And as the season goes along and teams progress they may very well be better. This is just my two cents after seeing all the teams mentioned live at some point this fall. I would love to see the two play. 

57 minutes ago, JoeBlow777 said:

Whitehaven

On 8/24/2019 at 12:51 PM, MidStateFan1 said:

This is a major overstatement. Peabody is going to win the 2A state championship as long as they avoid major injuries. However, they would lose to Haywood, Henry County, and Dyersburg. The depth would be too much. Don't get me started with all the Middle Tennessee larger schools they would lose to. They have 12 really good seniors, but there's only 12. They play a ton of players both ways, you're not beating good big schools having to play that many players both ways. Again, great at the 2a level, but saying they would beat any 5a school is ignorant, and should be called out on it. Depth comes into play when you play larger schools. Now......You have to admit Milan has underachieved going back to even Morris's last couple years. Peabody's personnel is probably a little better than Milan's, but not 35-14 better. Not -24 yards at half better. They are simply better COACHED! 

That's your opinion and I respect it, just as I respect BPM's opinion. I happen to agree with BPM, and just because you use words like "major overstatement", and "ignorant" , doesn't make your argument any more valid that the opposing one. Your last two sentences make no sense, "better" isn't defined by athletic ability, it's defined by performance, and Peabody's personnel performed absolutely 35-14 better, and then some. I'm reasonably sure that Milan could have represented themselves better in the second half without Peabody's "letting up'', but I'm also sure that Peabody keeps scoring if they don't. We will never know for sure if Trenton has the best football team in West Tennessee (outside Memphis) or not, but in my opinion, that's where everyone who proclaims that they don't catches a break... you can keep on making a good argument based on enrollment, roster, competition, or whatever else sounds logical, without having to worry about being proven wrong. 

1 hour ago, MidTennFootball said:

Whitehaven

I certainly would start here if you include teams from Shelby county. I'll be the first to say that I don't keep up with the teams from Shelby Co that much, so I am going to exclude them. I think a top 3 of Haywood, Peabody, and Covington would be good. You can argue about what order all day, but those 3 would be the top 3. Hate that Covington and Haywood don't play anymore. Used to be one of the games I looked forward to the most back. 

I watched the Tenton- Milan game on u tube earlier and I don’t think Covington would get trucked by Trenton. I would think it would be a close game. I think Covington and Trenton would both have a hard time beating Haywood they are loaded with athletes and ton of speed and size. 

Edited by bglass
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeBlow777 said:

I certainly would start here if you include teams from Shelby county. I'll be the first to say that I don't keep up with the teams from Shelby Co that much, so I am going to exclude them. I think a top 3 of Haywood, Peabody, and Covington would be good. You can argue about what order all day, but those 3 would be the top 3. Hate that Covington and Haywood don't play anymore. Used to be one of the games I looked forward to the most back. 

Yes. My opinion was based on teams outside of Shelby co. 

On 8/24/2019 at 10:29 AM, ManOfMillions said:

Knee jerk reaction might think that....  I think they will get it together as the season goes on. If memory serves me correct Milan was slow out of the gate last year as well. 

As is Covington, of which the statement was about.  The bulldog offense is going to be an issue when Milan plays a quality team.  Covington also won those games last year.  Even without Wheeler at the helm, the Chargers are the team to beat and I don’t see the gap closing in 2019. 

On 8/24/2019 at 4:21 PM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

None taken. All the water girl jokes aside I know you know your football. And as much as it pains me to say you could be right. 

My expectations may have been too high Thursday night, but I’m sure you saw the same things I did.  Regardless, I tried to be positive with the purple fans I sat next to. “There’s always next week.”  “I’m sure your offense will rush for 300 yards next week.”  “Bounce back game”. “At least this isn’t a district game.”  Bulldog fans were having none of it.  

On 8/26/2019 at 11:47 AM, reddyrebel6 said:

Haywood did not back out of a scrimmage with Peabody lol. Misinformation. Just a timing thing. I’ve seen both teams and Haywood would get the best of this one. They were not at their best against HC and never were threatened. Peabody is a very good 2A team. But sounds like someone needs a reality check. Tell your coach to give the Tomcats a call. I’m sure a future game could be had. 

I think you may have a reading comprehension problem. Haywood most definitely backed out. The called the scrimmage because you guys had just got a new coach. I don’t think Peabody is better and never insinuated that.