1. 1. Top Region Team 2019

• Clay County
    • Gordonsville
    • Jo Byrns
    • Monterey
    • Pickett County
    • Red Boiling Springs

51 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

I read where Monterey only returns 2 starters.  One on each side of the ball.

Monterey Tigers
City- Monterey
County- Putnam
Enrollment- 392
Last Season’s Record- 5-6, lost to South Pittsburg in 1A first round
Region- 4-1A
Head Coach- Scott Hughes (29-27 in five years at Monterey)
Offensive Coordinator- Scott Hughes
Defensive Coordinator- Scott Hughes
Offense- Multiple
Defense- Multiple
Returning Starters on Offense/Defense- 2 (1 Off/1 Def)
Last Playoff Appearance- 2018
Key Returnees- Kevin Borjas (WR/DB, Sr.), Paxton Payne (WR/DB, Sr.), Kevin Perez (OL/LB, Sr.), Rene Telon (DL/P/K, Sr.), Jordan Key (ATH, Sr.)
Key Losses- Tyler Kilby (RB/DE), Dalton Roberts (OL/DL), Roscoe Gragg (WR/DB), Jacob Walker (ATH),
Streak Going Into 2019-one game losing streak

Well u got to consider they are the Wildcats and not the Tigers. Lol that should tell u there info is way off! Monterey returned a lot more than 2! I see 5 in the column that are returning! They returned the whole line on both sides! 

2 minutes ago, TALMAD said:

Well u got to consider they are the Wildcats and not the Tigers. Lol that should tell u there info is way off! Monterey returned a lot more than 2! I see 5 in the column that are returning! They returned the whole line on both sides! 

I believe this 'Tiger' issue was one as well in previous years.  Seems I remember this capsule referring to them as such. 

Just now, Southtowner said:

I believe this 'Tiger' issue was one as well in previous years.  Seems I remember this capsule referring to them as such. 

Yes it has always had that. Guess Hughes not caught it. I do believe they are returning there whole line and as for the seniors I believe they are filled with better athletes. The best player on the team will be Jordan Key! He played QB against u guys last year and he is a tough player! The Borjas kid is a big tall kid who can make big plays and Telon and Perez are great backs! Payne has became a key player also but look for Key to be the play maker on both sides! I think they win this Region this year. 

3 minutes ago, TALMAD said:

Yes it has always had that. Guess Hughes not caught it. I do believe they are returning there whole line and as for the seniors I believe they are filled with better athletes. The best player on the team will be Jordan Key! He played QB against u guys last year and he is a tough player! The Borjas kid is a big tall kid who can make big plays and Telon and Perez are great backs! Payne has became a key player also but look for Key to be the play maker on both sides! I think they win this Region this year. 

That's information I didn't have.  Good to know.  Sounds like this region could be a toss up.  Makes for a better season for the fans when region championships are contested.

5 hours ago, TALMAD said:

Totally different Region when TC left. Also had NCS! Monterey has a good bunch of players about once every 6 years. Last good group was when they made the semi In I think 2014. Gordy will always be picked because they have always been consistent! As far as coaches I think Coach Hughes is as good as anyone in this Region!

I hope you'll miss Trousdale we will be back in the region real soon.

10 minutes ago, RTD said:

I hope you'll miss Trousdale we will be back in the region real soon.

I went with Gordonsville and according to some Monterey has their entire team returning pretty much.  Gordy only beat Monterey by 2 points last year.  I don't know the details to that game but sounds as if Monterey can give the Tigers all they can handle.  We'll see.   Good luck.

• Thanks 1

I vote Gordonsville until someone knocks them off.  I don’t have very high expectations for JB.  As others have said, JB lost a lot of starters.  On top of that, our numbers are low so depth will be an issue (probably around 30 or so players).  With that said, I do think we have a good core group coming back but we can’t afford ANY injuries.  If Clay and Monterey are improved over last year then JB will struggle to make the playoffs.

9 minutes ago, MOTO24 said:

I vote Gordonsville until someone knocks them off.  I don’t have very high expectations for JB.  As others have said, JB lost a lot of starters.  On top of that, our numbers are low so depth will be an issue (probably around 30 or so players).  With that said, I do think we have a good core group coming back but we can’t afford ANY injuries.  If Clay and Monterey are improved over last year then JB will struggle to make the playoffs.

I thought a few years back Jo Byrns was supposedly gonna pick up in enrollment by virtue of rezoning or something along those lines?