Perry County Hires New Boys Head Coach

PCsupporter4life

Former Head Coach and now State Representative Kirk Haston has stepped down as Head Coach of the Vikings. He has been replaced by long time head girls coach of the Lewis County Panthers as well as Franklin County girls coach Larry Helton. Coach Helton said he admired the history of Perry County Basketball (Linden) and is looking forward to getting the team back to Murfreesboro. Coach Helton also said it was a dream come true to be the head coach at PCHS. More on this later.

Edited by PCsupporter4life

From 2001-02 season to the 2013-14 season, Coach Helton went 213-152 at Lewis County. Went to the Class AA state tournament in 2009-10. Before Lewis County, he was a head coach at Forrest and then an assistant at Mt. Juliet. He has 485 wins in his career. The last five years he has been the coach of the Franklin County Rebelettes and went 65-83. Went to the Region tournament every year but of course went up against the Murfreesboro teams of Riverdale, Blackman, Oakland, and Stewarts Creek. Should be a good hire for the Vikings and the future of this proud and historic program. 

Edited by PCsupporter4life

18 hours ago, PCsupporter4life said:

From 2001-02 season to the 2013-14 season, Coach Helton went 213-152 at Lewis County. Went to the Class AA state tournament in 2009-10. Before Lewis County, he was a head coach at Forrest and then an assistant at Mt. Juliet. He has 485 wins in his career. The last five years he has been the coach of the Franklin County Rebelettes and went 65-83. Went to the Region tournament every year but of course went up against the Murfreesboro teams of Riverdale, Blackman, Oakland, and Stewarts Creek. Should be a good hire for the Vikings and the future of this proud and historic program. 

Hope that he continues the tradition there, it sounds as if he's well aware of it. As for Haston, I hate it for y'all that he's "moved on" to bigger things in life, but I couldn't personally be happier that he now represents us (yes, me too) in a bigger way... integrity, honesty, a little common sense, and some smarts can't hurt when you trust someone to have your back in life.

On 8/3/2019 at 8:59 PM, PCsupporter4life said:

If I am not mistaken, you count on his win total is off a little bit. I believe he reached the 500 win mark in the 2017-18 season at Franklin Co. Great coach and an even better person. Great hire for Perry Co.