Laussane vs Mayfield 8/23/19

OntopofthewestKY

So.. lets get this rolling.. im a week off but i just cant take it anymore..  I need some good banter in my life.. what did they loose last year an what do they have coming back.. i hear they were fast..  willing to travel 2hrs for opening game they must know what they are getting into playing Mayfield.. kinda excited about this one, but it sounds like we shoulda played last year..

They lost ALOT. 15 seniors from last years team, many of whom went on to play D1 ball. They will be young and inexperienced, but talented nonetheless. Lausanne will look the part physically as they have a spectacular weight program, but they will make the journey with only about 35 players. As I said in another post, they have some young guys coming up that they are very excited about but many question marks remain. How will Mayfield look this season?

Wow.. do they normally only dress 35 or so? Or just for this trip? I had heard there last few years they were a really talented team.  U said look the part physicaly, like what kinda size can we expect.. we hardly see alot of size untill our deep playoff runs from the private schools , in ky they all play together.  Our kids are usally still undermatched tho but quick..inturn have quicker smaller lineman usally pays off for us.. our offense is loaded an is a thing of beauty esp this year.. we dont have a star running back like Gray, but 2 that are as good as laussane new one i would say.. mayfield has always been fairly speedy on both sides of the ball but the star of the program this year will be our qb an about 6-7 recievers that are capable of taking it to the house at any time.. was watching our qb throw 70+ yard ropes the otherday at Murray state university..  he put up some pretty good numbers last year an if he gets settled he is pretty accurate think last year he was over 70% i might be a lil off.. our line will be our question mark.. they were new last year an imo allowed way to many points.. really curious to see how they do.. for the most part we are a big #1 favorite in the rankings this year an we lost some key guys but we were very deep at alot of positions.. probably be one of the best if not the best offense you will see this year.. 

Yes, Lausanne is almost always right around 40. Across the front they will be big and physical. I’d say (and this is just a guess) they average around 6’2 270 up front on offense based on what I believe they return from last season. They will be entirely new at qb and rb with only one receiver returning from last year. The new qb is a bit undersized right now as a sophomore but has lots of talent and potential. His older brother is a qb at West Virginia right now, for whatever that’s worth. The new rb is a sophomore as well but did get quite a bit of run last year, granted it was generally once games had gotten out of hand. He won’t be Eric Gray, but I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t have a big year. What do y’all look like defensively? Lausanne hired a new DC this year so it may be a bit of a question mark for the upcoming season. 

Defensively our question mark is our line.. thats what i ment above, sry.. we return most of it but they were young last year an gave up quite a bit vs really good teams only. defensively in the back field id say we are pretty good most our kids play both sides of the ball so alot of guys with good hands an speed our best linebacker squad graduated year before last so they were all struggling trying to fill shoes last year....an in the past we were a run stop team.. but last year was a turning of the page an we seemed to give up more than we liked too an was a lot better at stopping the pass.. we ran into a team last year at the end of the year that was prob a top 4 or 5 in the state with a huge line an a strong running back an it killed us.. we had our chances an still could won but the or qb was very unsettled an over threw at least 3 td passes on different drives..to beat us you will have to come up with atleast a stop or two an then outscore us.. i know thats obvious but what i mean is we tend to score at will.. weapons are everywhere as we offensively seem to reload year in year out.. the last few years we have been the deepest i can ever remember. Seems our line is avg 6'1 250.. iv not been able to make but one practice this year so maybe some of our fans will chime in with some better info.. we scrimmaged a local 4a team fri an was up 33-0 in first qt with that being said i wouldntvsay they weren't the best of a team. Are yall mainly a run team or pass? Does ur qb scramble.. that sometimes gives us fits..

Mainly run but they are not afraid to throw it around when needed. The last few years they have had tons of success and scored the ball very consistently for the most part. It will be interesting to see if they have the weapons to it this year. Not that I’m not confident in the team this year, but it no doubt would have been a fun, high scoring affair in years past. Again, they have some talent but are very young and inexperienced so we all know how that can go lol 

In the past the defense has been outstanding, but they have had some DUDES. By my count, 6-7 from last years defense went on to play D1 ball with a few other off to play at lower levels. It’s  a big question mark this year IMO. New defensive coordinator plus they only return 2 starters on that side of the ball (if my math is correct.) A bunch of guys will be going both ways is my guess, which will be different from years past when they didn’t have huge numbers but most weren’t forced to go on both sides of the ball. The big d-lineman who was mentioned earlier will have to have a big game. 

I would expect this one to come down to line play.  On offense I don't think we have to necessarily win the line but if our accurate qb has enough time to hit the quick stuff he will make it hard on you and open up the run and deep throws.  I would expect this team to score some points.  Not really sure how the D does against the Eric Gray replacement that is getting a lot of attention.  With Laussane having a new QB its hard to know what to think.     Our kicker Im told can place kickoffs in the end zone at will but I have not seen this first hand yet.  Last year he did occasionally.  This should be a good first game test for us