Covington picked to win Region 7-3A - Commerical Appeal

CHARGERFAN

The Memphis Commercial Appeal has picked Covington to repeat as Champions of Region 7-3A. Their ranking for the regions looks like this:

Region 7-3A

1. Covington

2. Milan

3. McNairy

4. South Gibson

5. Westview 

6. Bolivar

As a Covington fan, I realize that we have lost a lot of talent from the team that won the 3A Silver Ball last year, but I do see that we return 20 seniors (per the roster on Max__Preps).  And the paper  did mention some of our returning players:

Can Covington's Marcus Hayes win Mr. Football?

Hayes was a Mr. Football semifinalist in Class 3A last year as a sophomore and helped lead the Chargers to their second consecutive appearance in the state title game. Will the Chargers be back for a third time? Covington returns all-state selections in Hayes and linebackers Caleb Winfrey and Lareko Burton. 

Here's a link to the entire article:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/08/15/high-school-football-tssaa-memphis-tennessee-preview-class-5-a-and-6-a/2007474001/

Edited by CHARGERFAN
typo

I am a Charger fan  but I know like anyone else should this is always a tough region and any team can go down any given Friday night. We did lose some key players last year but we have some pretty good talent coming back. In years past Covington hasn't had a hard time keeping the ball rolling year to year. We have some great teams in this region best of luck to everyone! 

3 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Yeah, I'm a little concerned myself. I will see the Chargers vs. Crockett County in the jamboree tomorrow night. I'll let you know more after seeing them play. 

New coach, new QB, who knows? 

Coach Kirby will be fine. They still have a great staff. I am kinda worried about the QB situation but not really because I'm sure he want have to do much but hand the ball off 90% of the time. We will see hopefully we have things together I would really like home field advantage in the playoffs if we are able to make it. 

32 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

We coming for ya glass... be afraid..... very afraid!!!!

All kidding aside it will be a battle for sure most games lately have been very close. Our offensive line doesn’t have much experience but hopefully will get much better in next few weeks. We’re beating Crockett County 3-0 in second half of jamboree. Jv is in now

Covington 9 Crockett County 0 in Dyersburg jamboree. Chargers forced and recovered 3 fumbles plus stopped CC on a 4th and 2. Charger D in mid-season form. Scored a TD on one fumble return.

Chargers played Ruffin (1st) & Stewart (2nd) at QB. All-state RB Marcus Hayes sat out with an ankle after a 4-wheeler crash. The Offense moved the ball some and was inside the 5 going in when the 1st half ran out. 

Our squad is not playoff-ready based on our offense tonight, but I’m sure Coach Kirby didn’t show it all here. It’s a long season and we will improve.

At Munford next week.