Greeneville @ Powell

DevilMan03

On 8/18/2019 at 8:44 AM, BCsportsfan said:

I am a fan of Greeneville and have been going back to the Alcoa and Greeneville battles. But, what Coach Lowe is building by at Powell is going to be one of the top teams in 5A. Greeneville will be a great team again,  but not what they where the last couple of years. No, way Greeneville wins 28-3. This will be a much better game than that !

Your exactly right about Coach Lowe.  I say in 2 years they will be very dominate, and nobody will want to play them.  Greeneville is always going to be tough.  The don't rebuild they re-load.

2 hours ago, keepitmoving said:

Would it be an upset?  Powell comes in with a lot of hype.  Greeneville as usual will be really good.  But I don't thing people would consider it an upset if Powell won.  Going to be a great game!

Of course it would be an upset! When's the last time Greeneville even lost a game? Coming in as defending state 4a champions!! How could it not be considered an upset? :popcorneater:

Guys, come on here. Of course that would be a upset geezzzz. you gotta be there at some point for it not to be.  They have the longest winning streak in the state and back to back state champs, 30-0 in those 2 years.  other than last year Powell's previous years were 5-5, 1-9, 2-9 and 1-9 and in the same amount of time Greeneville is like 52-3.  So yes it would be a heck of a upset.  Yes as ive heard that Powell has changed it around and that's great, but to not call that a upset if it happens is unreal.  If Powell had been relevant in the years previous then I wouldn't so much call it that, but to go and beat a team like Greeneville will put you on the map quickly.

14 minutes ago, 4xchamps said:

Guys, come on here. Of course that would be a upset geezzzz. you gotta be there at some point for it not to be.  They have the longest winning streak in the state and back to back state champs, 30-0 in those 2 years.  other than last year Powell's previous years were 5-5, 1-9, 2-9 and 1-9 and in the same amount of time Greeneville is like 52-3.  So yes it would be a heck of a upset.  Yes as ive heard that Powell has changed it around and that's great, but to not call that a upset if it happens is unreal.  If Powell had been relevant in the years previous then I wouldn't so much call it that, but to go and beat a team like Greeneville will put you on the map quickly. 

I agree, given what we know right now, it would be an upset. However, if Greeneville has a "down" year, it probably wouldn't look like an upset in hindsight.

Keep in mind, 2014-2017 was an aberration for the Powell program. Matt Lowe came up just short of a state title in 2011, and Derek Rang was a play away from a state title appearance in 2012. But having 5 different head coaches in a 5 year span (2011-15) was brutal. Losing head coaches at the end of 2011, 2012, and 2013, coupled with hiring [he who shall not be named] in 2014 put that program in a really bad spot. 2014 was all-time bad, and it didn't get much better in 2015 or 2016. 2014 was the first losing season for Powell since 2000, but it was also their least number of wins since the beginning of Clark Duncan's tenure in the mid-80s.

It has taken a lot to undo what was done in 2014.

Yes it def. would be, considering what has happened in current history with both schools.  Lol it would almost be like if Tennessee, beat Georgia, Florida or Alabama kinda upset, but Tennessee has been bad for a longer period of time.  Greeneville does reload and does have a new head coach, but I could see a few bumps in the road.  Your not gonna mercy rule every team by halftime (except one) like last year.  So I wouldn't discredit the win if it happened in anyway.  That would be huge upset to start a season and have those kids knowing they could beat anyone.

If it is indeed a close one Matt Lowe is very talented about pulling out close ones. He done to AC and some other teams in past. However Greeneville likes to come out and get the jump on teams early. If that is the case it will be hard for Powell to make a come back. I may have Powell 35-28 but that is because it is home and if it's a close one. 

12 hours ago, 92Dragon said:

Of course it would be an upset! When's the last time Greeneville even lost a game? Coming in as defending state 4a champions!! How could it not be considered an upset? :popcorneater:

Reason I say it would not be an upset if Powell won is for a couple reasons.  One Powell is a 5a school Greeneville is a 4a school.  Two, when is the last time Greeneville beat a Knox County team.  If memory serves me right....never.   Greeneville is a good team no doubt, but new coach, and new players I think will hurt there chances on winning.  I do believe it will be a great game, and a close game as well.  

36 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

Reason I say it would not be an upset if Powell won is for a couple reasons.  One Powell is a 5a school Greeneville is a 4a school.  Two, when is the last time Greeneville beat a Knox County team.  If memory serves me right....never.   Greeneville is a good team no doubt, but new coach, and new players I think will hurt there chances on winning.  I do believe it will be a great game, and a close game as well.  

Last Knox County team that beat them was Central. But Yes theyve beat the Knox County teams. Fulton for example