McMinn Central vs. McMinn County

OldCharger

12 hours ago, Prahs said:

The last two games have been held at County, not sure why the decision to switch back. 

As I alluded to in my OP. Central was forced to play this game so they said fine but y'all are coming to Central. 

Radiocharger, the last time McMinn came and Central beat them people complained that it wasn't fair that Central didn't have comparable facilities with McMinn. They planned renovations but that was halted for soccer and softball facilities. Some money went to elementary basketball gym seating etc and the leftover $ built the band a nice concession stand. Nothing but a press box for football. It's a nice one but well short of the original plans. Maybe people will complain and they'll build central sonething nice or they'll let Central play schools their own size. 

Other than that, its what they have and they appreciate it. They're proud of it as well. I don't understand why the community can't be either. We're on the wrong side of the creek for anything nice. I have heard that Coach Davis has spent on these boys and that's awesome!

For kicks and giggles. The plans that were rumored:

New press box both sides

Extended seating walkthrough entrances like McMinn. 

New office/locker space

Extended visitor seating/lockers 

Finally, new field and practice field

Over 6 year period.

Maybe one day!

Edited by OldCharger

9 hours ago, OldCharger said:

As I alluded to in my OP. Central was forced to play this game so they said fine but y'all are coming to Central. 

I am interested in understanding how the process works to force a team to play a game they do not want to play and who the powers that be are/were that forced them.

I do agree the game is good for the community and schools, it is a big revenue producer. If Central wants better facilities, I think it is best to keep playing, a McMinn County gate will always be bigger than say a Copper Basin, East Ridge,  or Loudon gate.

Centrals facilities have not been cared for in several years. Although they are not new, but with some TLC the offices, locker room, weigh room could be nice. Hopefully this new staff brings in that type of organization and detail. They do need a practice field and the playing field has needed an overhaul for years, but lets face it, not many other games would need more seating other than maybe Polk now.  Of course all this takes money and there are ways to get money and stopping the county of McMinn's biggest high school football game is not one of them.

Edited by Prahs

Central's facilities are too small no matter who they are playing. Not just McMinn. Visiting seating  needs to be doubled and the visitors locker room needs a major overhaul. It's embarrassing watching the visiting team go meet at the FFA barn with the pigs and cows. Matter of fact Coach Davis told me himself that he used our lack of facilities as motivation for when Polk played at Central. " Boys, they don't even have chairs for you to sit in in the locker room."  Sad part...he's right. 

Edited by Radiocharger
  • Upvote 1

Visitor Dressing Room is an embarrassment for sure. Been that way for a long time. On the road this year we play Polk- Excellant Facility, Meigs- Baseball Barn- No AC, No Restrooms,  No Seats, Loudon- Top of the Line, Signal Mountain- Small Outbuilding, No Seats, No AC and No Restrooms, Copper Basin- Never been to Copper Basin but I do know they have a fieldhouse suitable for a single A school.

The new pressbox, concession stand and restrooms are very nice at Central. I think there plenty of visitor bleachers for a 3A school. ( McMinn is the only exception). It is not all bad at Central. It would not take much to return Charger Stadium to a top 3A venue.  Change takes some time in McMinn County. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Charger64 said:

Visitor Dressing Room is an embarrassment for sure. Been that way for a long time. On the road this year we play Polk- Excellant Facility, Meigs- Baseball Barn- No AC, No Restrooms,  No Seats, Loudon- Top of the Line, Signal Mountain- Small Outbuilding, No Seats, No AC and No Restrooms, Copper Basin- Never been to Copper Basin but I do know they have a fieldhouse suitable for a single A school.

The new pressbox, concession stand and restrooms are very nice at Central. I think there plenty of visitor bleachers for a 3A school. ( McMinn is the only exception). It is not all bad at Central. It would not take much to return Charger Stadium to a top 3A venue.  Change takes some time in McMinn County. 

Last year there were  just as many Meigs fans on the Central side as Central due to lack of seating. When Polk was in their glory days same scenario.  Kingston and Walker Valley's bands would  take up the entire section so they just stand the entire game.  More seating is needed. 

12 minutes ago, Charger64 said:

Not enough seating for Meigs County!!!

1 hour ago, Prahs said:

I am interested in understanding how the process works to force a team to play a game they do not want to play and who the powers that be are/were that forced them.

I do agree the game is good for the community and schools, it is a big revenue producer. If Central wants better facilities, I think it is best to keep playing, a McMinn County gate will always be bigger than say a Copper Basin, East Ridge,  or Loudon gate.

Centrals facilities have not been cared for in several years. Although they are not new, but with some TLC the offices, locker room, weigh room could be nice. Hopefully this new staff brings in that type of organization and detail. They do need a practice field and the playing field has needed an overhaul for years, but lets face it, not many other games would need more seating other than maybe Polk now.  Of course all this takes money and there are ways to get money and stopping the county of McMinn's biggest high school football game is not one of them.

Everything is nice now! Coach Davis has put in the hours to clean the place up. Oldcharger was correct. He has done alot and spent alot for the boys. 

And the McMinn gate isn't as important to football as you think. They don't see that money anyway. I'm pretty certain it goes in the general fund for all sports. The band gets concessions. 

Oldcharger and Radiocharger,  Central had Sequoyah on the schedule for week 1 and they were forced to drop that game and add McMinn back to the schedule. This was decided by the last superintendent of McMinn Schools. McMinn pitched a fit when they found out Central dropped them, especially after their request to be moved down to 5A was denied by the TSSAA. 

9 minutes ago, catchnburn said:

Everything is nice now! Coach Davis has put in the hours to clean the place up. Oldcharger was correct. He has done alot and spent alot for the boys. 

And the McMinn gate isn't as important to football as you think. They don't see that money anyway. I'm pretty certain it goes in the general fund for all sports. The band gets concessions. 

Oldcharger and Radiocharger,  Central had Sequoyah on the schedule for week 1 and they were forced to drop that game and add McMinn back to the schedule. This was decided by the last superintendent of McMinn Schools. McMinn pitched a fit when they found out Central dropped them, especially after their request to be moved down to 5A was denied by the TSSAA. 

I figured he would clean things up.........

Basketball is getting nice renovations though.