Farragut at Bradley Central

FHS_Admiral

10 hours ago, Former44 said:

I alluded to this on another thread, but I saw #8 Purcell play both TE and RB in games as a freshman. At RB he was a bruiser (both running and pass pro) and, at that time, appeared to have good instincts and vision. I remember thinking that another “Cooper Hardin” was on the way. I know how valuable Purcell is on defense , but I can’t help but be curious if he could help the team with a few carries on offense. Perhaps the coaches have already considered it. At any rate, it was just a thought.

I’m not sure if it’s been considered or not. Sounds like a viable idea to me. Cooper Hardin played both ways and was still very effective at both. I agree that it’s an option worth exploring.

Seems like in recent years Farragut has had physical RBs that run well and wear down defenses in the 2nd half. Those guys were also physical kids that could pass block really well to. Seems like they haven't found a runner or blocker yet. I noticed in the jamboree that #11 took all the snaps at QB. Does that mean that Farragut isn't splitting time at QB like they did some last year. I saw the Bradley Central game and Oak Ridge game last year. Seems like in the BC game Farragut used 2 QBs but in the OR game they went with one QB (Seems like 11) the entire game. I never really understood that because one of the QBs (I think 11) was noticeably better than the other.

56 minutes ago, DavidGlasgow said:

Seems like in recent years Farragut has had physical RBs that run well and wear down defenses in the 2nd half. Those guys were also physical kids that could pass block really well to. Seems like they haven't found a runner or blocker yet. I noticed in the jamboree that #11 took all the snaps at QB. Does that mean that Farragut isn't splitting time at QB like they did some last year. I saw the Bradley Central game and Oak Ridge game last year. Seems like in the BC game Farragut used 2 QBs but in the OR game they went with one QB (Seems like 11) the entire game. I never really understood that because one of the QBs (I think 11) was noticeably better than the other.

The back up QB had a minor injury for the jamboree. He should be fine soon, maybe even by now. I don’t imagine they will run a dual QB system, #11 is definitely the guy but there is a backup, he just wasn’t available for jamboree. 

10 hours ago, DavidGlasgow said:

The two QB's, Gavin Wilkinson and Jake Evans, had differing skill sets. I'm sure many thought Wilkinson, with the superior arm talent, should have gotten all the reps. However, Farragut likely would have lost multiple games in 2017 and 2018 had Jake not come off the bench to spark the Admiral offense - via the zone read and his superior running ability - when, quite frankly, the passing game was floundering (2017 Bearden and 2018 Science Hill readily come to mind as a couple of examples if I recall correctly - but there were more). Jake didn't have the zip Gavin possesses, but he was an accurate passer as well. 

With respect to the backup quarterback this year, he is a sophomore and he has good wheels and he throws a really nice ball. I think he is going to be an outstanding player.

As far as physical running backs go, Farragut has actually had a pretty good list of them, dating all the way back to 2007 when they first implemented the spread offense – Sterling, Purty, Freeman, Fain, Thomas, Hardin, Carter. Not only were they physical runners, but I can't tell you how many times I saw more than one of those guys literally de-cleat someone in pass pro. I hope someone can step up and fill that role this year. Matt White has looked very good when he has gotten the opportunity and I imagine he will look even better when he is able to play without the protective wrap on his hand. At the same time, I can't help but find it somewhat bittersweet that White's move to RB virtually guarantees that he will spend less time at defensive back where I believe he had five interceptions in 2018. 

Edited by Former44

1 hour ago, Former44 said:

The two QB's, Gavin Wilkinson and Jake Evans, had differing skill sets. I'm sure many thought Wilkinson, with the superior arm talent, should have gotten all the reps. However, Farragut likely would have lost multiple games in 2017 and 2018 had Jake not come off the bench to spark the Admiral offense - via the zone read and his superior running ability - when, quite frankly, the passing game was floundering (2017 Bearden and 2018 Science Hill readily come to mind as a couple of examples if I recall correctly - but there were more). Jake didn't have the zip Gavin possesses, but he was an accurate passer as well. 

With respect to the backup quarterback this year, he is a sophomore and he has good wheels and he throws a really nice ball. I think he is going to be an outstanding player.

As far as physical running backs go, Farragut has actually had a pretty good list of them, dating all the way back to 2007 when they first implemented the spread offense – Sterling, Purty, Freeman, Fain, Thomas, Hardin, Carter. Not only were they physical runners, but I can't tell you how many times I saw more than one of those guys literally de-cleat someone in pass pro. I hope someone can step up and fill that role this year. Matt White has looked very good when he has gotten the opportunity and I imagine he will look even better when he is able to play without the protective wrap on his hand. At the same time, I can't help but find it somewhat bittersweet that White's move to RB virtually guarantees that he will spend less time at defensive back where I believe he had five interceptions in 2018. 

Well said but I disagree with the statement that Evans was needed to spark the offense. Once Wilkinson was named the starter in 2017 Evans only saw playing time once the game was pretty much in hand and the coaches were comfortable with the game. Any game that was close Wilkinson played the entire game. I was in the camp that Wilkinson should’ve gotten more snaps to help his stats for recruiting.I Haven’t seen White at RB yet but he’s a good athlete .I don’t remember him being very big last year but he’s an exciting player. I bet he still plays a lot of defense. I bet they play him on defense kinda like they did Gibbs last year. Seems like they had another RB last year that played some when Gibbs was hurt. Did he graduate?

2 hours ago, Former44 said:

Finding the guy who will replace Kyle Carter has been a challenge for sure. Obviously, while Matt White is a great choice, I hate to see his time compromised on defense . Injuries have hit us hard and that’s played a role as well in being able to determine who is going fill those shoes. Sam kniss looks good.  #18 and #9 show promise but maybe young/inexperienced this year and it’s so dang hard to compare when the line doesn’t do its job consistently.