Bauxite, AR @ Covington - is this Alcoa West?

CHARGERFAN

Bauxite, AR will visit Covington in week 2. Not knowing anything about Bauxite, I used Google to get some facts.

• Bauxite is a town in Saline County, Arkansas, United States. Located within Central Arkansas, the town is named for bauxite, the source ore for aluminium, which was found in abundant quantities in the area and became a source of aluminium refining.
  • The ore for which the town is named was discovered in the area in the early 1890s and mined by the General Bauxite Company until 1905, when the Pittsburgh Reduction Company, a northeastern aluminium refining company, purchased vast tracts of land in Saline County after learning of the high-quality ore that was being shipped from the area. The company bought out the local producers of the ore, including the General Bauxite Company. Pittsburgh Reduction would go on to incorporate as the Aluminum Company of America, or ALCOA.
  • As with many cities and town in Arkansas, football is important in the Bauxite community as both a social event and source of pride for the town's identity. Bauxite High School has a storied football program which began around 1920. The Bauxite Miners football team won 24 conference championships, appeared in two state title games and won the state championship in 1996.

Since the Alcoa (TN) football team has become Covington's nemesis, defeating the Chargers in the 3A Championship games in 2017 and 2018, I was struck by the connection of both teams to the aluminum refining business and to the Aluminum Company of America. And, both teams have a rich football tradition.

Does anyone have any info on the current Bauxite team?  

'

3 hours ago, reddyrebel6 said:

Bauxite has five former head coaches on staff including former college coach Clint Conque. They were down for many years but projected to compete for a state title. I saw Covington in the jamboree. This could be a tough one for them honestly. 

Thanks for the info. I was in the dark about them too just like Chargerfan. Covington offence didn't look to good in the jamboree but they didn't play Mr. Marcus Hayes ( Mr. Football Finalist ) . They looked a lot better Friday night .The Defense looked good in both outings. Munford had -5 rushing yards.  Hopefully it want be a tough out for the Chargers but if so it will prepare them for a tough region 7-3A

Edited by fanoffootball2013
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, wolfchase said:

Tough Region 7-3A?    Only legit team in 7-3A is Covington themselves, the others are mediocre at best.  Actually a weak district

I disagree. Region 7-3A proved that it was a strong region in the first round of the playoffs last year, defeating all four of the teams from 8-3A. I will admit that Covington has been in this region two years and has yet to lose a region game, but IMHO that result is due more to how strong Covington's team has been than to any weakness from the other region teams. Just look at how Covington advanced to the 3A championship both years. Only Alcoa in the 3A classification has been able to stop them.

Now one week does not make a season, but S. Gibson, Westview, and McNairy County had impressive wins in week one, and Milan is always dangerous despite losing in spectacular fashion to Peabody last week. No, I'm not about to agree that this is a weak region, in fact, I believe that it is one of the stronger 3A regions in the state.

7 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Region 7-3A proved that it was a strong region in the first round of the playoffs last year, defeating all four of the teams from 8-3A. I will admit that Covington has been in this region two years and has yet to lose a region game

That's because Region 8-3A is/was the second worst district in the entire state only ahead of Region 8-4A(where every team in their 4 team district made the playoffs despite none even having a 500 record(seems like 3 wins was their best record. They were all terrible. One was even 0-10 and still made the playoffs. Region 8 3-A& 4A will be swept again this year regardless.Memphis City Football is down much like West Tenn 

Now one week does not make a season, but S. Gibson, Westview, and McNairy County had impressive wins in week one,

Come On Man!! That's Some Powerhouses rt there huh. They're typically not very good as of late, yeah they may have a good yr(record) every once & a while(usually a result of weak opponents(easy schedule etc) but definitely not solid football teams. Even Milan, Milan has not been the typical Milan

Covington has a cake walk til PC

1 hour ago, wolfchase said:

Covington has a cakewalk til PC

I obviously disagree. I see each Covington game in person and thus I  see all of our opponents in person. The competition in 7-3A is good. I see improvement in several teams just in the two years we've been in this region. 

Cakewalk until Pearl Cohn? Who is to say that they (PC)?will advance? They didn't last year. East  Nashville and Stratford were better than they were last year as I recall.

Who is to say that Covington will get out of our region? I'm not making that promise. We have a new quarterback and graduated some key offensive players. I hope that we can repeat, but that's why we play the games.

1 hour ago, CHARGERFAN said:

For this week's game, I ran it through Project a Matchup by Cal*preps website . Their projection on a neutral field:

Covington 31

Bauxite 14

Let's see how that compares with the actual score.

I hope it goes this way ! Do you know how they are on offense? Pretty Balanced? Just wondering since we really haven't faced a passing team yet. 

21 hours ago, fanoffootball2013 said:

I hope it goes this way ! Do you know how they are on offense? Pretty Balanced? Just wondering since we really haven't faced a passing team yet. 

I haven't a clue about their team. That's why I went to that Project a Matchup site to get a feel for what we are facing.

If someone has an idea of how they line up offensively and defensively, please share it here. Otherwise, I'll just have to show up Friday night and see what transpires.

4 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I haven't a clue about their team. That's why I went to that Project a Matchup site to get a feel for what we are facing.

If someone has an idea of how they line up offensively and defensively, please share it here. Otherwise, I'll just have to show up Friday night and see what transpires.

From what I hear they are balanced run and pass. They will spread you out and run some double heavy formations as well. Very disciplined ball team. Ranked 14th in 4A.