Bauxite, AR @ Covington - is this Alcoa West?

CHARGERFAN

On 8/24/2019 at 7:34 AM, CHARGERFAN said:

Bauxite, AR will visit Covington in week 2. Not knowing anything about Bauxite, I used Google to get some facts.

• Bauxite is a town in Saline County, Arkansas, United States. Located within Central Arkansas, the town is named for bauxite, the source ore for aluminium, which was found in abundant quantities in the area and became a source of aluminium refining.
  • The ore for which the town is named was discovered in the area in the early 1890s and mined by the General Bauxite Company until 1905, when the Pittsburgh Reduction Company, a northeastern aluminium refining company, purchased vast tracts of land in Saline County after learning of the high-quality ore that was being shipped from the area. The company bought out the local producers of the ore, including the General Bauxite Company. Pittsburgh Reduction would go on to incorporate as the Aluminum Company of America, or ALCOA.
  • As with many cities and town in Arkansas, football is important in the Bauxite community as both a social event and source of pride for the town's identity. Bauxite High School has a storied football program which began around 1920. The Bauxite Miners football team won 24 conference championships, appeared in two state title games and won the state championship in 1996.

Since the Alcoa (TN) football team has become Covington's nemesis, defeating the Chargers in the 3A Championship games in 2017 and 2018, I was struck by the connection of both teams to the aluminum refining business and to the Aluminum Company of America. And, both teams have a rich football tradition.

Does anyone have any info on the current Bauxite team?  

'

Nice job chargerfan. I will be interested in seeing how this plays out. 

I learned something as well. Did not know that " alcoa " stood for that. 

We are good hosts. Spotted Bauxite 9 points on an interception and a fumble by us. They got a TD, kick failed, then a FG.

The Chargers responded with 2 TDS and a FG (one kick failed).

In the1st qtr, Covington fumbled the opening kickoff and lost it, then had numerous penalties (false start, etc), also several messed up exchanges of center to QB. It looked like we had never played football before.

i hope the 2nd qtr was indicative of how the rest of the game will go. If no, we could lose this thing.

I enjoyed the game last night. It's always good to meet an unfamiliar opponent, especially one from out of state. Covington looked really sloppy early on and shot themselves in the foot on multiple occasions. It's not good when you have to abandon a game plan of shotgun and go under center because you can't seem to make the exchange. The false start penalties were ridiculous and I'm almost convinced that Bauxite must have been mimicking our cadence in some way. It also stunk having our top RB ejected in the first series (that was probably instigated as well). We have to keep composure because we should know that teams will try whatever it takes to attempt to neutralize out run game. With all that said, I feel that Bauxite earned, maybe, 3 points from our defense. We had no problem moving the ball barring penalties and mistakes. This game could have easily been more of a blowout IMO.