2019 AA Discussion

Rockstar89

Starting a thread for AA teams...

I saw several this weekend. Hume-Fogg looks pretty solid. They are a very tall, lanky team and they play well together. Will be interested to see how (if) they can compete with Nolensville

Whats the news with Portland? The gossip in the stands today was they have lots of injuries and have already lost a couple of games they probably should have won. 

Camden seems to be on somewhat of a slide. I know its probably good competition, but they went 2-6 at the Sunsphere and I also hear they have lost early games they probably should not have. Will see them in a couple of weeks, but I know a lot of teams in Region 6 that would love for them to be down and to have a shot to get to state with Portland. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/24/2019 at 11:45 PM, Jolly said:

Portland always have lots of injuries in the beginning. They looked solid at the Brentwood Playday and the all-day scrimmage before that. They have 4 returning starters the setter, libero, and 2 pins. 

I def. know they are not to be counted out and will be a lock for state even at 50% strength with their Region. 

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen anything yet this year, but based on what teams lost from last year (from memory so please fact check) Camden lost their best player in their setter, so they were thought to take at least a little step back. I am pretty sure Nolensville lost their top hitter and top middle. Hume-Fogg should be relatively young (at least for the tall players that were commented on). Hume-Fogg lost their 2 best hitters from last year. What about out east? Anyone have any knowledge on the teams out east?

Edited by knightsfan

Haven't heard anything out east...

I've seen Camden. They have def. taken a step down this year. They've already lost a handful of games. In fact, this week single A Harpeth blanked them 3-0. They should still make it to state with their District/Region. 

Nolensville won the tourney they were in last weekend and from all accounts are the real deal with a chance to make a lot of noise.

Hume-Fogg is young, but are pretty good. I've seen them play a couple of times and they looked tough for AA. Will be interested to see them play Nolensville who I would say have a chance to go all the way. 

Edited by Rockstar89

If that is true Rockstar, then Nolensville will be good again next year, I would think. According to last years roster, Nolensville shouldn't have any seniors this year (I didn't see any juniors on the team last year). If everything goes like it has in the past then it would be Portland vs (maybe Camden, but could be a new team) in region 6 finals, and Nolensville vs Hume-Fogg in region 5 finals. If what you are saying is the case then I would think Hume-Fogg goes to Portland, and Nolensville would host Camden (or new team) in the sub-state. Both of those would be rematches of last year. Of course this is all just prediction and anything could happen before we get that far.

Even with them taking a back step,  Camden is steamrolling everyone else in D12, so it should shake out and be the same teams in sub-state this year. BUT I predict different outcomes. I think it will be Nolensville and either Hume Fogg or Portland heading to state. I haven't seen them, but I hear Portland has had injuries and are not as strong...but you can't count them out. They are always tough. Based on experience level, I think they probably still hold an edge over Hume-Fogg unless I see/hear otherwise. If this were to happen, I think it would be the first year Camden hasn't made it to state in years? But they are very well-coached and as you mentioned ANYTHING can happen between now and then. Its fun to play the guessing game though!

Nolensville with a nice win over Blackman to move to 16-1 on the season. Mark this down now. Nolensville is my pick to go all the way in AA and dethrone Portland.

Camden rebounds with a 3-0 over Dickson. Even though Dickson is not as strong as last year, it's still a good win for a Camden team that has struggled as of late. 

Edited by Rockstar89

I called Nolensville in the preseason.  They play in the siegel tournament this weekend with some good teams so will be interesting to see those scores.  Brentwood and Houston are my two picks for the AAA state championship will be there along with Ravenwood, Farragut, Cookevile, and a couple of other decent teams.  

2 hours ago, Apostle said:

Teeter Tot / Rockstar 89,

Respectfully, I am going to play contrarian to your predictions of Nolensville winning AA state.  I do believe they earn a berth in the 8 team State tournament but will take one of the remaining 7 teams in the field to emerge as 2019 AA State champ. 

Nolensville has played a solid non-district schedule (they are 16-1 I think) but their strength is not derived from their Jr/Sr class and I believe that the stage may be a little too big and bright for the FR/SO's that will be called upon to perform.  A more experienced, mature team could have an advantage.  Next year, with everyone a year older, they should be the team to beat in AA.

Just an opinion - I look forward to following their progress.

It's a very valid point.  The main cogs of that team have known to no show up in big travel games so will be worth watching as the season goes on