ECS 30 CPA 6

MichaelMyers76

1 hour ago, WilsonJr1990 said:

My guess is a combination of the 2. CPA lost a ton of seniors from last years championship team and ECS was poised to have a big year. I guess we’ll see as the season goes on which was the bigger factor in this game. 

After a quick look through the game film, ECS looks to have decent sized linemen (one SEC type).  Two really quick backs. Another SEC LB / Fullback.

CPA is young (age and/or experience).  My guess is they'll be similar to the 2016 team.  There were some plays that looked promising.  After a crazy hard schedule, I'd bet they'll be battle ready for the playoffs.

1 hour ago, WilsonJr1990 said:

My guess is a combination of the 2. CPA lost a ton of seniors from last years championship team and ECS was poised to have a big year. I guess we’ll see as the season goes on which was the bigger factor in this game. 

It was, as you say, a combination of both.  CPA was breaking in many new starters after graduating a very large senior class.  Eagles also graduated a lot of talent and depth (15 or so seniors graduated from last year's team), but have been able to fill in with some capable rising players.  CPA had a few turnovers to none for the Eagles.  Eagles were able to establish the run and defensively played very stout against CPAs running game.  One game won't define the season for either team, so will be interesting to see how each team progresses.  CPA has an excellent program and coaching staff, so I expect they will learn and adjust from this.

I was at the game. A few observations - ECS has two very good RBs, #20 is not very fast but he has great vision, protects the ball and makes great cuts. The other back #24 has great speed but he is small and had issues holding onto the ball. #24  had an incredible back breaking run for a TD on the first play of the second half. ECS has a big line and as noted above the OT who is a junior has offers from Clemson, LSU among others. 

The real gem is #4 Hill, he is a savage at OLB and had several pancake blocks on offense. Caught the ball well out of the slot and made a great read and INT in the second half. ECS has a great chance to play for a title if they stay healthy. 

CPA is young and they have a really good looking WR #13, he ran nice routes and has good size.   CPA had a few bad breaks that hurt them - failing to recognize fake punt that led to early ECS TD hurt. They also turned the ball over deep in ECS territory when the game was not completely out of reach.