Is 3a football the best class pound for pound?

crow6424

On 8/29/2019 at 7:01 PM, MidTennFootball said:

Oh I understand completely. Big rivalries are a part of what drives HS Football.

In the the years leading up to Creasy taking over, you might be right. Creasy has shown when he has the personnel, he's got no problem slinging it around. 2026 the threw for over 3,000 yards but lost in the title so it helps, but getting past Maryville and Whitehaven, the stars have to align just right

Since you can see into the future (2026 lol) does Gallatin have any additional championships by that year? Thank you - 2019 :cool:

On 8/29/2019 at 12:12 AM, crow6424 said:

If you were to give 3a schools 4 times as many students to choose from would they compete with the best of 6a? I’m saying Alcoa, Covington, and PC would beat the top three 6a teams. Alcoa already beats the top 6a teams every 4-5 years

I know this will stir the hornets nest, but....PC pretty much is a 6A school as far as students to pull from because they pull from multiple schools. They utilize the enrollment from PC High to classify as 3A but are able to get students from another high school with similar enrollment without a football program.  JS

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, 00Chargers said:

I know this will stir the hornets nest, but....PC pretty much is a 6A school as far as students to pull from because they pull from multiple schools. They utilize the enrollment from PC High to classify as 3A but are able to get students from another high school with similar enrollment without a football program.  JS

Not stirring nothing. This was explained last year. Take it how you want it. We are not the only coop school by far in metro. Y'all say pick and choose but it ain't no pick and choosing with 98% would rather be placed in a spelling b then play football.  Ask me how many MLK kids play or start this year? 1 starts and he's the long snapper. He's 1 of our 4 seniors on the team. How many MLK kids on the team this year? 6-7 kids who some dont come daily. Even when mlk was cooping with hillsboro we still played up and was winning "shrugs"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, FBfan26 said:

Not stirring nothing. This was explained last year. Take it how you want it. We are not the only coop school by far in metro. Y'all say pick and choose but it ain't no pick and choosing with 98% would rather be placed in a spelling b then play football.  Ask me how many MLK kids play or start this year? 1 starts and he's the long snapper. He's 1 of our 4 seniors on the team. How many MLK kids on the team this year? 6-7 kids who some dont come daily. Even when mlk was cooping with hillsboro we still played up and was winning "shrugs"

Did you just say ya'll have 4 seniors on the team? Holy crap man! That is very impressive to beat MBA and Cane Ridge...however, I had no idea it was with 4 seniors. This could be ya'lls year PC. I wish we didn't have to go through you guys (if we were to make it that far) to get another shot at Alcoa. However, if you guys make the title game and play them, I would have to rout for you. 

9 minutes ago, 00Chargers said:

Did you just say ya'll have 4 seniors on the team? Holy crap man! That is very impressive to beat MBA and Cane Ridge...however, I had no idea it was with 4 seniors. This could be ya'lls year PC. I wish we didn't have to go through you guys (if we were to make it that far) to get another shot at Alcoa. However, if you guys make the title game and play them, I would have to rout for you. 

One game at a time charge. They are young so things could change at the blink of a eye. Would love to see yall again and finally see Alcoa but it's a long season and not looking that far. Believe it or not most of his rout for whoever comes out of middle or west tn. Alot of us are alike in many ways. Good luck to yall this season

6 minutes ago, FBfan26 said:

One game at a time charge. They are young so things could change at the blink of a eye. Would love to see yall again and finally see Alcoa but it's a long season and not looking that far. Believe it or not most of his rout for whoever comes out of middle or west tn. Alot of us are alike in many ways. Good luck to yall this season

Yeah one game at a time, you guys always seem to have the Jimmies and the Joes, just seem to trip up at the most inopportune times, hopefully you break through this time, good luck!

• Upvote 1

I don’t understand the pound for pound part, but I believe if you take the four teams in the semifinals of each class and line them up 1-4, Alcoa is the only 3A that beats the top 1-2 of 5A-6A and that’s still only every 3-4 years. 

The other part not mentioned is playing those teams weekly. I don’t think Pearl or Upperman could run to the championship in 5A/6A.  Playing one week is one thing, running the gauntlet in consecutive weeks to get to Cookeville in the upper two classes is another.   I don’t think those teams could run through Hillsboro, Beech and Henry County in the playoffs to get there.  Beech and Henry County back to back would be tough most years. It’s a lean on you, grind it out and physical game that I don’t think most 3A teams could handle in consecutive weeks. Those 5A/6A teams two platoon a lot and toward the end of the game it’s tiring for the smaller schools. 

As far as 6A, there’s not many that can run through the Rutherford County teams and I don’t think any outside of Alcoa would have a chance to do that. 

6 hours ago, eers said:

I don’t understand the pound for pound part, but I believe if you take the four teams in the semifinals of each class and line them up 1-4, Alcoa is the only 3A that beats the top 1-2 of 5A-6A and that’s still only every 3-4 years. 

The other part not mentioned is playing those teams weekly. I don’t think Pearl or Upperman could run to the championship in 5A/6A.  Playing one week is one thing, running the gauntlet in consecutive weeks to get to Cookeville in the upper two classes is another.   I don’t think those teams could run through Hillsboro, Beech and Henry County in the playoffs to get there.  Beech and Henry County back to back would be tough most years. It’s a lean on you, grind it out and physical game that I don’t think most 3A teams could handle in consecutive weeks. Those 5A/6A teams two platoon a lot and toward the end of the game it’s tiring for the smaller schools. 

As far as 6A, there’s not many that can run through the Rutherford County teams and I don’t think any outside of Alcoa would have a chance to do that. 

Just my thoughts.

I think there is a significant difference between 5A and 6A. 5A has been pretty watered down with the new classification system.  Its not a coincidence that Knox Central, Farragut and Knox West all won ( I believe) their only state championship in the long history of their schools in 5A in the last 5 years.

In 2014 and Alcoa,  and CPA would have won 5A. As would have Fulton or Knox Catholic in 4A.  2015 Alcoa, CPA, CAK in 3A and Knox Catholic and Fulton in 4A. 2016 Alcoa and Elizabethan would have won 5A. 2017 Alcoa or Covington would have had a shot. 2018 Alcoa and Covington would have won.

As far as "pound for Pound" , if you put in a multiplier to the final score based on student enrollment, 3A especially in the top 10 , could make that argument.

for example if your enrollment is 1800 and the other school is 600, then you would need win by more than a 3 to 1 margin to take the pound for pound trophy. If you don't then the smaller school wins. I know that's a very simple example, but a multiplier could be used.

Another example is in some weightlifting events they subtract your body weight from your lift. If you weigh 300 pounds and bench 350, your score is 50. The other guy weighs 200 and benches 300. His total score is 100. He wins.

4 hours ago, 32hammer said:

Just my thoughts.

I think there is a significant difference between 5A and 6A. 5A has been pretty watered down with the new classification system.  Its not a coincidence that Knox Central, Farragut and Knox West all won ( I believe) their only state championship in the long history of their schools in 5A in the last 5 years.

In 2014 and Alcoa,  and CPA would have won 5A. As would have Fulton or Knox Catholic in 4A.  2015 Alcoa, CPA, CAK in 3A and Knox Catholic and Fulton in 4A. 2016 Alcoa and Elizabethan would have won 5A. 2017 Alcoa or Covington would have had a shot. 2018 Alcoa and Covington would have won.

As far as "pound for Pound" , if you put in a multiplier to the final score based on student enrollment, 3A especially in the top 10 , could make that argument.

for example if your enrollment is 1800 and the other school is 600, then you would need win by more than a 3 to 1 margin to take the pound for pound trophy. If you don't then the smaller school wins. I know that's a very simple example, but a multiplier could be used.

Another example is in some weightlifting events they subtract your body weight from your lift. If you weigh 300 pounds and bench 350, your score is 50. The other guy weighs 200 and benches 300. His total score is 100. He wins.

Agree with everything you said