AP 3A POLL

CHARGERFAN

2 minutes ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

So you are saying rankings roll over from previous years? 

To some degree, yes in 3a. Not necessarily across all classes though. There has to be a benchmark to start with. In this case we have a very strong pattern of Alcoa being number one, Covington being number two, and no sign of either relinquishing those spots in the foreseeable future. Obviously it's going to change at some point but for now they (Alcoa & Covington) are cemented in my mind as 1 and 2 until something else happens besides them playing each other in Cookeville every year. 

1a for example would be different because neither of last years champions or runner ups have even won a game yet. 

Just my opinion. I'm sure you have yours as well. 

8 minutes ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

So you are saying rankings roll over from previous years? 

He is saying that until someone other than Alcoa beats Covington in 3a why would they drop in rankings and not be the clear cut #2 until it happens?  I have a lot of respect for PC and you and fbfan26 as posters but who cares what AP voters vote for week 2?  Give me on field results not polls.  "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."  We have all heard the hype train about PC since moving back to 3a after their time in 4a but give me a championship appearance at least and stop getting knocked out by teams you shouldn't have the last 2 years with the talent you all have.  

25 minutes ago, Swarm said:

To some degree, yes in 3a. Not necessarily across all classes though. There has to be a benchmark to start with. In this case we have a very strong pattern of Alcoa being number one, Covington being number two, and no sign of either relinquishing those spots in the foreseeable future. Obviously it's going to change at some point but for now they (Alcoa & Covington) are cemented in my mind as 1 and 2 until something else happens besides them playing each other in Cookeville every year. 

1a for example would be different because neither of last years champions or runner ups have even won a game yet. 

Just my opinion. I'm sure you have yours as well. 

We'll agree to disagree!!!

16 minutes ago, Swipes said:

He is saying that until someone other than Alcoa beats Covington in 3a why would they drop in rankings and not be the clear cut #2 until it happens?  I have a lot of respect for PC and you and fbfan26 as posters but who cares what AP voters vote for week 2?  Give me on field results not polls.  "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."  We have all heard the hype train about PC since moving back to 3a after their time in 4a but give me a championship appearance at least and stop getting knocked out by teams you shouldn't have the last 2 years with the talent you all have.  

Hype train? Last couple years has nothing to do with what I'm talking about! 

4 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

In 2016 and 2017 Pearl-Cohn lost games in the state semifinals that they had absolutely no business losing.  They had two golden opportunities to win state championships those two years.  In 2018 Pearl-Cohn saw a team that they beat by 50 points during the regular season come in and build a three score lead in the second half.  By the time they realized that they were in danger it was too late and they ran out of time and thus sparked Stratford's playoff run.  It was very similar to 2013 when they were primed for a championship run but lost to a very well coached Giles County team at home in the second round.  If you really want to go back in time we can go back to 1998 when Pearl-Cohn was the unanimous favorite to three-peat as the 4A state champions.  That year they were upset in the quarterfinals by Whites Creek (who started a freshman QB).  

That's another topic and another discussion honestly.  I think in 2006 and 2007 Pearl-Cohn went to the semifinals both years and lost to Fulton teams that were just better.  I think in 2014 Pearl-Cohn reaching the semifinals was a great run but I do think Trezevant was better that particular season.  I think Pearl-Cohn reaching the title game in 2015 was great also but they ran into a Knoxville Catholic team that was absolutely loaded.  Those particular seasons were not "failures" in my opinion.  

I don't think anyone has said that those season's were "failures".  You just stated they lost  the last 3 season's to teams they had no business losing to which in my opinion is very true.  What makes this season different than the last ones?

2013 team losing to Giles 23-7 in the 2nd round still wouldn't have had anything for the Fulton team that manhandled Giles 54-14 or anyone that was representing the east that year (Sullivan South, Greeneville, and Catholic all gave Fulton way better game on Fulton home turf during the play-offs).

If you look at the 2015 Championship game also PC wouldn't have had anything for the team coming out of the east that year also.  Catholic 2nd round, Quarter Final, and Semi-Final games were more competition than the championship game.  Heck that year Catholic beat Fulton 28-25 in the 2nd round and pulled away at Greeneville in the 4th quarter 34-21 after going into the 4th tied at 21-21 

3 minutes ago, Swipes said:

I don't think anyone has said that those season's were "failures".  You just stated they lost  the last 3 season's to teams they had no business losing to which in my opinion is very true.  What makes this season different than the last ones?

2013 team losing to Giles 23-7 in the 2nd round still wouldn't have had anything for the Fulton team that manhandled Giles 54-14 or anyone that was representing the east that year (Sullivan South, Greeneville, and Catholic all gave Fulton way better game on Fulton home turf during the play-offs).

If you look at the 2015 Championship game also PC wouldn't have had anything for the team coming out of the east that year also.  Catholic 2nd round, Quarter Final, and Semi-Final games were more competition than the championship game.  Heck that year Catholic beat Fulton 28-25 in the 2nd round and pulled away at Greeneville in the 4th quarter 34-21 after going into the 4th tied at 21-21 

What was said that Pearl Cohn hasn't done anything this decade. So get your facts straight before you post! No one said anything about final results.

1 minute ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

Hype train? Last couple years has nothing to do with what I'm talking about! 

Yes Hype of PC making to the championship to face Alcoa which has still yet to happen.  Please tell  me what you are trying to make a point at then?  When it comes to any kind of polls or stats there has to be bench mark from year to year.  That we can't go off of past results and under achieving over the past couple of years?  Like my quote said " "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."  I hope we do see a PC vs Alcoa game this year but you have to show up during play-off time ever game or it will be another upset

12 minutes ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

We'll agree to disagree!!!

PC has 2 wins against win-less opponents. 

Now do you see how it looks when the past don't matter?

The past does matter. Those 2 winless opponents have a big history and those were huge wins for PC. I congratulated you guys on here for both of them. Still doesn't make you leap frog Covington though. That would just be disrespectful. 

6 minutes ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

What was said that Pearl Cohn hasn't done anything this decade. So get your facts straight before you post! No one said anything about final results.

What have they done this Decade then FireBird80?  I talked in Championships or at least a runner-ups when it comes to Championship Caliber programs which I believe PC is year in and year out.  You have one Silver Ball in the last decade and under achievement when it comes to play-off results (You all have even said yourself you don't know what happened in some of those play-off loses that you had no business losing) 

7 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Yes Hype of PC making to the championship to face Alcoa which has still yet to happen.  Please tell  me what you are trying to make a point at then?  When it comes to any kind of polls or stats there has to be bench mark from year to year.  That we can't go off of past results and under achieving over the past couple of years?  Like my quote said " "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."  I hope we do see a PC vs Alcoa game this year but you have to show up during play-off time ever game or it will be another upset

Where hype train come from? Did it come from me or fb26? 

4 minutes ago, Swipes said:

What have they done this Decade then FireBird80?  I talked in Championships or at least a runner-ups when it comes to Championship Caliber programs which I believe PC is year in and year out.  You have one Silver Ball in the last decade and under achievement when it comes to play-off results (You all have even said yourself you don't know what happened in some of those play-off loses that you had no business losing) 

4 str8 semifinals and championship appearance. But you'll counter back with you still under achieve!