2019 AAA Discussion

Rockstar89

20 hours ago, OldBruin23 said:

Going to put this out there concerning the Ravenwood player topic. Unfortunately, here is an instance where club coaches being in high school ball is an unfortunate situation. This child has played for this coach for years and had no problems and some would tell you was even the coaches favorite. Then the player switches clubs and is no longer with the high school coach’s club and falls out of favor very quickly. It was noticeable to many. 

While I hear what you're saying, come on OldBruin, careful with your accusation.  Do you really think a highly respected coach would sabotage their season because she holds a grudge back to club season?  This move makes them a real darkhorse to make the state tournament and may not make it out of district now.  This was their best player, 6 rotation player, that produced a good percentage of their points.  I don't have a dog in the fight but I'm not buying your assertion.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/28/2019 at 11:36 PM, Guest Oldgamer29 said:

Then the player switches clubs and is no longer with the high school coach’s club and falls out of favor very quickly.

That's awfully petty. Does anyone really believe this? I'd love to hear someone make the case.

In what way did the HS coach change her treatment of the player? It seems (based on stats and watching them a few times) that the player was the central focus of everything that team was about.

I have no idea who Guest Oldgamer but he/she just typed what a lot of us knew or suspected,  The majority of coaches who coach club and high school place priority with the club they coach for, not the high school.  This 6 rotation player moved from Alliance to TPV this past season and was recognized as the U18 MVP at Nationals in Orlando while leading the U18 to their championship,  

pgd66 - Be careful who you accuse of being highly respective, especaillay after this incident and how it was handled.  

TT:

You used the word "us" there, meaning you also think this is a club-based personal thing, and I take you to be writing on behalf of the TPV point of view. So I'll pose the same question I asked earlier: what would make you think that the coach would jeopardize an entire high school season because a kid left the club she works with in the off-season? I'm shaking my head at the level of pettiness you are alleging.

Let's take some perspective here. We may all think of the RW coach as an Alliance person, or a local high school coach, because that's our view, and that's the world we live in. But we are talking about someone with National-level volleyball credentials.  

We can have our take on what happened here based on our limited information, and based on our own Alliance vs. TPV biases. You (TT, I'm still addressing you here) warned pgd66 to be careful of being "highly respective"... did you mean respected? Respected coaches (including college coaches, High Performance Coaches, and National-Team coaches) have a lot of information on which to base their opinions of this coach. I bet even Dan would say as much. Given a dispute between her and a player / family, she's earned the benefit of the doubt. You are going to have to make a rock-solid case otherwise, if you want convince anyone outside of your gym.

1 hour ago, Osage said:

TT:

You used the word "us" there, meaning you also think this is a club-based personal thing, and I take you to be writing on behalf of the TPV point of view. So I'll pose the same question I asked earlier: what would make you think that the coach would jeopardize an entire high school season because a kid left the club she works with in the off-season? I'm shaking my head at the level of pettiness you are alleging.

Your assumption is wrong.  "Us" was referring to the volleyball community (TPV, Alliance, MidTN, High School).  You are making another assumption that this coach is putting a priority over her high school team more so then her club that she's a co-director of.  Which position do you think pays her bills, high school or club coaching?  

Lets play devils advocate to answer your question.  I wont get into details but will use a broad brush:  This coach has several underclassman who play for her club with others in middle school who will play for her in years to come at the same club.  The best player on the high school team moves to a rival club and excels during club season.  After seeing how this player was treated, do you think any of the younger Alliance players she has in the high school system would even think about switching clubs?  I have talked to a couple of those parents and the thought of switching is a tough one because they have seen what happens to this player.

I'll say again: I'm shocked at how petty you're claiming this coach to be. That this is just a money thing? I'll go a step further and say I am really surprised that anyone, you included, really believes that's the driver here. 

On the other hand, likely you are much closer to the situation than I am. So I will ask you to step out of the perspective you've painted, and ask you to view it from the other end: do you think that the player / family bears any responsibility? Or are they (and, by extension, the teammates) simply victims here?

Ok, TT, let me ask my question a different way. You are trying to make the case that the coach ran off the team's best player because she was upset about said player leaving Alliance. Furthermore, everyone (the "volleyball community") knows this. 

If so, put yourself in the place of one of the remaining teammates. This time last week, they were probably thinking they had a real shot at getting to the state tournament. Now the best player is gone, they may not even make it out of District. The season is lost. All because of a club dispute.

Wouldn't you be angry about that? Wouldn't you revolt against the coach? Most importantly, wouldn't you do everything you could to mediate and get your teammate back on the court? 

20 hours ago, Osage said:

Wouldn't you be angry about that? Wouldn't you revolt against the coach? Most importantly, wouldn't you do everything you could to mediate and get your teammate back on the court? 

Me?  Yes! 

15, 16, and 17 year old girls who want to stay in good standings for high school and club, NO!  

We obviously aren't going to agree here. I think you (and those you are speaking for) have this all wrong, and you have an incredibly cynical view of these athletes and coaches.

On the other hand, I think you know more than you are letting on, which means your opinion is more informed than mine. If I'm the naive one, and if your interpretation is really accurate, and these petty political jealousies are really the main driver of coaches' and players' behavior, then TN really never will catch up with TX, California, Florida, the Midwest, and other areas of the country that are ahead of us competitively. 

Long time lurker, first time poster ...

Osage, don't lose hope, the unfounded accusations that are being thrown around in this thread are crazy,  I personally know the player and the coach.  As well as I know the exact incident that led to the player no longer being on the team.  To say that it is because of the club team the player chose is outrageous.  If that were to be the case, why does the coach not cut the player before the season?  Also, the Ravenwood team is made up of both TPV and Alliance players.  Is the coach holding a grudge against them as well?  Why are they still with the team? 

TeeterTot - just wondering ... did you hear first hand from the player or coach that this is the reason she is no longer on the team?  Or is it a rumor you are hearing around the county or program? 

On the topic of girls being concerned with the coach at RHS liking or not liking them because of the club they choose, I can say based on my conversations with players and parents there the answer is most definitely yes. I’ve even heard some middle school players bring it up as a fear and wonder if they’d even try out vs just focus on club during high school. It’s a real shame that’s even being brought up, but it’s a fact. All I know is, if I was coaching a program where these concerns were lurking, I would be going out of my way to convince everyone that was not the case. Perception is reality, and if you’ve seen not only her demeanor on the sideline with this player, but others on the team as well, it’s not a reach to draw that conclusion (that the coach is upset about club choice and it’s impacting her relationship with her players). At the very least, there is a significant breakdown in communication. Typically when that is the case, and more than one player or families are getting an unintended message, might need to take a long look at adjusting said communication and clearing the air. 

I'm not on here to spread false rumors or try to convince anyone I am right.  I am only passing along a combination of player/parent conversations and educated observations.  TheNoise is correct, players at RW and the middle school are to the point they feel they will be penalized for even trying out for TPV.  

DShrute - Yes, the other TPV player (Who I believe was all-state last year) has seen a reduced role this year.