Dyer County at Bolivar

WestTNroundball

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/30/2019 at 10:29 AM, WestTNroundball said:

New poster here but I got wind of a must see hall of champions game during the first week of season. I know a good bit about Bolivar but can dyer county compete with them? I havent heard much about dc since Robert Hubbs.

I doubt Dyer County can. Dyer County's non-district games should all be in Shelby County against AA and AAA schools at least so they can be battle ready when the playoffs come around. However, they play schools they can beat up on and have a nice looking record.

I think dyer county will compete just for the simple fact that there are so many athletes up there and they were really young last year and will be much better this year.  In Coach McCord's defense, getting a team to drive to Dyer County and have a home and home is tough. It is easy to say he should play Memphis teams but he is an hour and 45 minutes from East High school. I'm sure it is tough to get games for him

21 hours ago, WhereYouAt said:

I think dyer county will compete just for the simple fact that there are so many athletes up there and they were really young last year and will be much better this year.  In Coach McCord's defense, getting a team to drive to Dyer County and have a home and home is tough. It is easy to say he should play Memphis teams but he is an hour and 45 minutes from East High school. I'm sure it is tough to get games for him

Then you go on the road yourself to make your team better. Don't wait on other people to come to you. You go to them. 

Look at the past schedule it's a joke. Way too many A and AA teams.

3 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

Then you go on the road yourself to make your team better. Don't wait on other people to come to you. You go to them. 

Look at the past schedule it's a joke. Way too many A and AA teams.

I agree to a certain point. You gotta have some home and homes. You can't just play on the road all the time High school programs count on the gates and concessions to support the program. 

2 hours ago, WhereYouAt said:

I agree to a certain point. You gotta have some home and homes. You can't just play on the road all the time High school programs count on the gates and concessions to support the program. 

McCord gets a bonus check if he wins so many games. That's the reason for the simple games. I'm a Dyer County graduate. They ain't lacking in the ability to take bus rides to play good opponents.  Early on people tolerated the guy because they had some talent. He wore out his welcome with the locals a few years into it. I hear from people all the time when I go back.

1 minute ago, warmachine7954 said:

McCord gets a bonus check if he wins so many games. That's the reason for the simple games. I'm a Dyer County graduate. They ain't lacking in the ability to take bus rides to play good opponents.  Early on people tolerated the guy because they had some talent. He wore out his welcome with the locals a few years into it. I hear from people all the time when I go back.

Insider. I gotcha. Well he needs to be playing all the good competition then. Dang, must be nice to get a bonus for a certain number of wins. 

On 9/4/2019 at 7:39 PM, warmachine7954 said:

The supplement at DC is $10,000 if I recall correctly. Don't forget he coaches the girls too.

I thought you were talking about getting really paid. Come on now. 10K is not a lot when you break that down to the number of hours that are put in. Granted, probably one of the highest stipends in the area but still not great. So, 20K but that is double the work, double the parents, double the practices, double the scheduling, double the.... Just saying.

14 hours ago, WhereYouAt said:

I thought you were talking about getting really paid. Come on now. 10K is not a lot when you break that down to the number of hours that are put in. Granted, probably one of the highest stipends in the area but still not great. So, 20K but that is double the work, double the parents, double the practices, double the scheduling, double the.... Just saying.

I'm pretty sure he get's both stipends.

DC is on block schedule. Girls and Boys have athletics during the day. It was the same when I was in school. For a few years our coach did both boys and girls. 1st period PE class, 2nd period Girl's BB, Lunch, 3rd Period PE class, 4th Period Boy's BB. He probably has a planning period now because of the state regulations. 

So a "teacher" might teach one class and have planning and two athletic periods. Also, the salary for a teacher with 10 years experience at DC with a master's is $49,135 (he has more years of service) then we add the $20,000 for stipends. In reality that's $70,000. You can easily schedule boys and girls together. Tons of the work is being done during school hours. 

The stipend in Shelby County is $2500-3000. 

I have negative sympathy for a coach that has all of that and still schedules weak teams.

57 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

I'm pretty sure he get's both stipends.

DC is on block schedule. Girls and Boys have athletics during the day. It was the same when I was in school. For a few years our coach did both boys and girls. 1st period PE class, 2nd period Girl's BB, Lunch, 3rd Period PE class, 4th Period Boy's BB. He probably has a planning period now because of the state regulations. 

So a "teacher" might teach one class and have planning and two athletic periods. Also, the salary for a teacher with 10 years experience at DC with a master's is $49,135 (he has more years of service) then we add the $20,000 for stipends. In reality that's $70,000. You can easily schedule boys and girls together. Tons of the work is being done during school hours. 

The stipend in Shelby County is $2500-3000. 

I have negative sympathy for a coach that has all of that and still schedules weak teams.

Warmachine7954 you make great points. I actually agree with all of them. The only thing is you can't change the location of Dyer County High School. It is is the cut. Lots of teams just don't want to make that drive. Who knows how much a bus trip from say McNairy costs. Do Dyer County fans travel? What type of gate would a team get if Dyer County comes to their gym?