Dyer County at Bolivar

WestTNroundball

3 hours ago, WhereYouAt said:

Warmachine7954 you make great points. I actually agree with all of them. The only thing is you can't change the location of Dyer County High School. It is is the cut. Lots of teams just don't want to make that drive. Who knows how much a bus trip from say McNairy costs. Do Dyer County fans travel? What type of gate would a team get if Dyer County comes to their gym?

That district is big. No doubting that: Liberty, Munford, Brighton, Hardin Co, and Brighton. 

It is what it is. When your district owns their buses it makes a difference. People will drive to most of those games on Friday nights. The Tuesday games are tougher. DC has a good following and community support. Especially when they know they have a good team. 

Rural schools are much different than an urban school. I've seen teams have a losing record and get support from their community. The difference is people know when you're good and when you've padded a schedule with cupcakes to win. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, warmachine7954 said:

Then you go on the road yourself to make your team better. Don't wait on other people to come to you. You go to them. 

Look at the past schedule it's a joke. Way too many A and AA teams.

Not that easy as just go get them. Many times McCord wants to play tries to schedule a game with a AAA team and agrees to with the boys coach for the other school but the girls coach from the other school will not play DC. And it works the other way too. Sometime McCord tries to schedule a girls team but the opposing boys coach will not agree. Problem with being the only AAA in the area, AAA schools with power house programs do not want to play because of the travel also.

31 minutes ago, OrangeGuru said:

Not that easy as just go get them. Many times McCord wants to play tries to schedule a game with a AAA team and agrees to with the boys coach for the other school but the girls coach from the other school will not play DC. And it works the other way too. Sometime McCord tries to schedule a girls team but the opposing boys coach will not agree. Problem with being the only AAA in the area, AAA schools with power house programs do not want to play because of the travel also.

I understand the logistics of it all and understand the aspects of boys and girls. However, district and region titles mean nothing in the long run. If you wanna be good and compete you go get the games. It is the reality of DC and having the same coach coach both boys and girls.  

AAA schools that are good will play just about anyone because they're not scared. 

DC should consider just about any school in AAA in Shelby County, and the decent AA schools in Tipton, Madison, and Shelby County. If I'm a AAA coach I don't play a A team unless I know they have big time talent and can give me a game. 

I'd rather be 17-13 and be prepared for the post season than be 25-5 playing team that didn't challenge me. 

Edited by warmachine7954

1 hour ago, warmachine7954 said:

I understand the logistics of it all and understand the aspects of boys and girls. However, district and region titles mean nothing in the long run. If you wanna be good and compete you go get the games. It is the reality of DC and having the same coach coach both boys and girls.  

AAA schools that are good will play just about anyone because they're not scared. 

DC should consider just about any school in AAA in Shelby County, and the decent AA schools in Tipton, Madison, and Shelby County. If I'm a AAA coach I don't play a A team unless I know they have big time talent and can give me a game. 

I'd rather be 17-13 and be prepared for the post season than be 25-5 playing team that didn't challenge me. 

I hear you and agree but you cant get the games if the others schools want agree. Are you going to give up all your home games to travel be ause the Shelby teams will not come to Newbern ? Everytime they do its $1000 to get them to come and you get $0 to go. Location and school size kills what you are able to do at DC schedule wise. Bigger than your neighbors and too far away from schools to get games and to have any true rivals. I dont really see anything wrong with having one Coach for both. You are actually saving money if you look at total cost to employ. If you look at success of boys and girls overall McCord has taken both to the Glass House. Few outside Shelby in West Tn have done that and can never do it year end and year out. 2 years ago DC boys lost in semi's at region against Bartlett. This year DC Girls lost in Sub State to eventual  State Champ Houston. That pretty deep in tourney to me. Going through Shelby County every year is a hard thing to make to Murfreesboro and nobody else but DC has been able to do it.  

I do see your points on toughness of schedule. Seems that some of tougher games come in holiday tournaments.  But have seen DC take on pretty tough opponents there also. But regular season scheduling is difficult for DC. 

Edited by OrangeGuru

3 hours ago, OrangeGuru said:

I hear you and agree but you cant get the games if the others schools want agree. Are you going to give up all your home games to travel be ause the Shelby teams will not come to Newbern ? Everytime they do its $1000 to get them to come and you get $0 to go. Location and school size kills what you are able to do at DC schedule wise. Bigger than your neighbors and too far away from schools to get games and to have any true rivals. I dont really see anything wrong with having one Coach for both. You are actually saving money if you look at total cost to employ. If you look at success of boys and girls overall McCord has taken both to the Glass House. Few outside Shelby in West Tn have done that and can never do it year end and year out. 2 years ago DC boys lost in semi's at region against Bartlett. This year DC Girls lost in Sub State to eventual  State Champ Houston. That pretty deep in tourney to me. Going through Shelby County every year is a hard thing to make to Murfreesboro and nobody else but DC has been able to do it.  

I do see your points on toughness of schedule. Seems that some of tougher games come in holiday tournaments.  But have seen DC take on pretty tough opponents there also. But regular season scheduling is difficult for DC. 

Bradley Central won state last year.

Yes. Those would help all the schools involved and be a good gate too. If my info is right though, it's been tried to add more of those teams but doesn't work out for various reasons. I know they compete in the summer camps but been difficult to get scheduled.  Covington and Westview use to were on the schedule but backed out. 

Edited by OrangeGuru

11 minutes ago, WestTNroundball said:

You all are getting away from the point of this topic. What does Dyer County have this year and can they compete with an up-tempo bolivar team with one of the best shooting guards in the state?

True. Let's get back to topic. DC is going to be a senior dominated team. Only graduated one player last year. They like up tempo. Bring a couple of guards who can play. Swift kid is the leader. Post players will be improved. They are quick , can score and go maybe 11 deep.  I not up to speed on the Bolivar team but DC will be a tough opponent this year more so than last 3 or 4 years. 

18 hours ago, OrangeGuru said:

True. Let's get back to topic. DC is going to be a senior dominated team. Only graduated one player last year. They like up tempo. Bring a couple of guards who can play. Swift kid is the leader. Post players will be improved. They are quick , can score and go maybe 11 deep.  I not up to speed on the Bolivar team but DC will be a tough opponent this year more so than last 3 or 4 years. 

Bolivar will win this game going away.