USJ Bruins vs TCA Bushwhackers

Kublah

Figured I'd start this off for our TCA friends on here ;)

USJ looked good against South Side last night. The best they've looked since Coach Stroup took over by far. Very encouraging.

South Side was stout up front, had some speed and brought the house every play.

USJ's showed size and speed on defense. The offense was a bit disjointed but losing your starting QB on the first drive will do that (what a shame for that young man). Think it will take a little experimenting on O to get the right players in the right places, but there is potential there.

TCA is coming off a tough loss against a very good team but that won't mean a thing in this game! They're well-coached and have one of the fastest players in the state, so I'm expecting a good game. 

Man this game kills me every year. All in all we have one of the most dynamic player in the state. But one player can not carry a team. We knew this going into the season. TCA is very young. It may not seem that way when you look at  how many seniors that we have and are starting. But almost all the seniors that are starting are playing the first time since middle school. Take that and face a Browder offense doesn’t look good for my lions. This is always an emotional game which means anything could happen. Just have to see how this week progresses. Hate to here about your QB. That kid can’t catch a break. 

5 hours ago, Kublah said:

TCA is coming off a tough loss against a very good team but that won't mean a thing in this game! They're well-coached and have one of the fastest players in the state, so I'm expecting a good game. 

It certainly was a tough loss for TCA last night. South Gibson, in my opinion, will be the best team that TCA faces during the 2019 regular season. Lots of work to be done this week in practice to prepare for "that team on McClellan Road." No Doubt it will be standing room only for this game.

I do have to make one small correction in the original post. Number 7 is not one of the fastest players in the state. According to results from last year's State track meet, #7 is THE fastest player in the state. However, like Big Ed said, one player does not a team make. TCA, in order to be competitive in this game, will have to get solid rushing results from at least three different players. TCA will have to further develop it's passing game. On the defensive side of things, TCA will have to shore up play on the defensive side of the ball in several areas. Kicking game goes to TCA. Our punter, #19, is averaging well over 40 yards per kick after 2 games. On kickoffs, we already have seven touchbacks on the year by #10.

I see it that things will be tense in both camps this week and it could get a little chippy out on the field Friday night. I'm sure it will be an entertaining and lively discussion on Coach T this week. Lord knows we sure do need to wake up this Division 2 board.

I will go ahead and call it, TCA will win the RIFA can drive between the two schools. And realistically, the underprivileged of Jackson are the real winners in that contest no matter which school collects the most canned goods.

Oh by the way Kublah, we are not the TCA Bushwackers. We are the TCA Bush Shakers. LOL

Edited by ReitzFan

2 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

It certainly was a tough loss for TCA last night. South Gibson, in my opinion, will be the best team that TCA faces during the 2019 regular season. Lots of work to be done this week in practice to prepare for "that team on McClellan Road." No Doubt it will be standing room only for this game.

I do have to make one small correction in the original post. Number 7 is not one of the fastest players in the state. According to results from last year's State track meet, #7 is THE fastest player in the state. However, like Big Ed said, one player does not a team make. TCA, in order to be competitive in this game, will have to get solid rushing results from at least three different players. TCA will have to further develop it's passing game. On the defensive side of things, TCA will have to shore up play on the defensive side of the ball in several areas. Kicking game goes to TCA. Our punter, #19, is averaging well over 40 yards per kick after 2 games. On kickoffs, we already have seven touchbacks on the year by #10.

I see it that things will be tense in both camps this week and it could get a little chippy out on the field Friday night. I'm sure it will be an entertaining and lively discussion on Coach T this week. Lord knows we sure do need to wake up this Division 2 board.

I will go ahead and call it, TCA will win the RIFA can drive between the two schools. And realistically, the underprivileged of Jackson are the real winners in that contest no matter which school collects the most canned goods.

Oh by the way Kublah, we are not the TCA Bushwackers. We are the TCA Bush Shakers. LOL

Ok. Just to play devils advocate and shake the bush a bit. You guys Say number 7 is the fastest player in the state and you base that on the state track meet times. You are PROBABLY right. But what are the odds there is a faster player he just didn’t do track. I am sure there are far more athletes that play just football verses the number that do football and track. Just something for discussion. 

2 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Ok. Just to play devils advocate and shake the bush a bit. You guys Say number 7 is the fastest player in the state and you base that on the state track meet times. You are PROBABLY right. But what are the odds there is a faster player he just didn’t do track. I am sure there are far more athletes that play just football verses the number that do football and track. Just something for discussion. 

I am Sure there is always someone out there faster. That is not the point. Right now In the state of Tennessee he is the state champion in the 100 meters 2 years in a row. Runner up his freshman year. Runner up in the 200 two years ago and the champion this past year.  As far as that going to the football field he has the same speed on the field. And normally you see football coaches trying to get track stars to play football. Not track coaches looking for football players for track. 

26 minutes ago, BigEdMo said:

I am Sure there is always someone out there faster. That is not the point. Right now In the state of Tennessee he is the state champion in the 100 meters 2 years in a row. Runner up his freshman year. Runner up in the 200 two years ago and the champion this past year.  As far as that going to the football field he has the same speed on the field. And normally you see football coaches trying to get track stars to play football. Not track coaches looking for football players for track. 

I agree with everything you just said. I was just basing my question off of Reitz saying he was THE fastest player in the state.  And my point is that while he probably is the fastest player in the state we can’t be sure because the over whelming majority of football players in TN don’t run track. 

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

3 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I agree with everything you just said. I was just basing my question off of Reitz saying he was THE fastest player in the state. 

Yes it’s easy for us to say all of that about him.  But really you have to see him live. Because he is not just straight out speed. He has every cut in the book on dime. 

BPM, with the TCA forced move to division 2, I compared the times of number 7 in both the 100 and the 200 against the wing X in division 2. Unless there is a freak injury, he will decimate the other sprinters in division 2. If 7 gets into open space he is in all likelihood gone. He will not be caught from behind.

Edited by ReitzFan

On a positive note for USJ, I am told that the injury does not appear to be as severe as they initially feared and he should hopefully only miss a couple of weeks. #14 is a very capable QB and split the preseason reps fairly equally with the starter in what was a true QB battle. That being said, we are very inexperienced behind him and could ill afford another double-whammy like last year.

The offense has multiple ground and air weapons and the workload was spread fairly evenly last night. There were quite a few dings and cramps which is not uncommon in an opener, but aside from the QB we came away pretty clean. I feel pretty confident about our ability to move the ball against most any team, but we put the ball on the ground twice last night and that won't fly in a close game.

Defense is fairly strong. Front line held their own against some strong SS boys and the DBs covered and tackled well, bringing down a couple of INTs in the process. We have seen #7 every year and will obviously game plan for him.

I would have to say the kicking game is a push. Pledger has a strong leg and is very accurate. Went 3/4 on FG last night, missing a close one from 47 after a mishandled snap/hold. Had only one full kickoff come up just short of a touchback all night. He is a sophomore and if he continues to progress, will certainly be kicking on saturdays in a few years.

Unfortunately, the RIFA can drive is no longer a "competition" for whatever reason (everyone gets a trophy, right?) but we have been promised an extra day of Thanksgiving break is we meet our schoolwide goal, so here's to hoping both schools knock it out of the park. The more people that get fed, the better.

2 hours ago, BigEdMo said:

Does he have any track offers?

• CoachT locked this topic