USJ Bruins vs TCA Bushwhackers

Kublah

The Bruins definitely have a fuller sideline this year, fielding almost 20 more on the roster than in 2018. This includes 23 freshmen, a couple of whom are making significant contributions. Seniors will be all over the field. The 10th and 11th grade  classes are slightly smaller in number, but include some key players for certain. Both sides of the ball returned the vast majority of starters from last year. The OL and DL feature some youth and some upperclassmen new to their starting roles. Skill positions are almost all familiar faces.

59 minutes ago, Bellsburg2 said:

The Bruins definitely have a fuller sideline this year, fielding almost 20 more on the roster than in 2018. This includes 23 freshmen, a couple of whom are making significant contributions. Seniors will be all over the field. The 10th and 11th grade  classes are slightly smaller in number, but include some key players for certain. Both sides of the ball returned the vast majority of starters from last year. The OL and DL feature some youth and some upperclassmen new to their starting roles. Skill positions are almost all familiar faces.

You say your roster has approximately 20 more kids on it from last year. Yet, USJ moved down from AA to songle A. I'm told usj moved to down in class because they we're supposed to have had a drop enrollment of over 20%. Yet there are 20 more kids on the roster than last year. I certainly hope usj does not get too comfortable in class A. It's my understanding that you will more than likely only spend two years in class A before you move back up. Yes, I know everything was legal and on the up-and-up. However, if the amount of students decrease by 20% I would certainly think that there would be less football players on the roster then last year and not more.

Like always, Friday's game will be a very crowded affair. If you want to seat I would advise you to arrive early. I hope that Friday's game will be a competitive affair and that players from both teams will walk away injury-free.

I'm sure that I have done enough Bush shaking for this post. I'm sure as it gets closer to game day we'll have plenty of friendly banter. Well, it will probably at least be banter. LOL

6 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

You say your roster has approximately 20 more kids on it from last year. Yet, USJ moved down from AA to songle A. I'm told usj moved to down in class because they we're supposed to have had a drop enrollment of over 20%. Yet there are 20 more kids on the roster than last year. I certainly hope usj does not get too comfortable in class A. It's my understanding that you will more than likely only spend two years in class A before you move back up. Yes, I know everything was legal and on the up-and-up. However, if the amount of students decrease by 20% I would certainly think that there would be less football players on the roster then last year and not more.

Like always, Friday's game will be a very crowded affair. If you want to seat I would advise you to arrive early. I hope that Friday's game will be a competitive affair and that players from both teams will walk away injury-free.

I'm sure that I have done enough Bush shaking for this post. I'm sure as it gets closer to game day we'll have plenty of friendly banter. Well, it will probably at least be banter. LOL

That's a direct reflection of Stroup. Scotts Hill had 22 players on the roster when he was hired here, and by year three we were approaching 70. I used to joke with him that I didn't know if he could coach football or not, but if that didn't work, he had a career selling used cars. I'm not sure that he couldn't have had 100 if he'd tried, but he was worried that he couldn't fit what we had in the fieldhouse and provide uniforms. "You may think im joking, but im not"!

11 hours ago, Intense said:

USJ has around 53 players on their roster.  TCA has 27 after injuries year to date.  They started with about 30.  Enough said. 

Hey welcome back, Intense! 

After seeing a little bit of TCA I have to agree with you. Think they'll just be outmatched, though #7 is electric.

It's early but USJ looks like they would've been a top 4-5 DII-AA team this year. After seeing a little bit from the top teams in DII-A this year I think we've been underrating USJ as a contender.

7 hours ago, tradertwo said:

That's a direct reflection of Stroup. Scotts Hill had 22 players on the roster when he was hired here, and by year three we were approaching 70. I used to joke with him that I didn't know if he could coach football or not, but if that didn't work, he had a career selling used cars. I'm not sure that he couldn't have had 100 if he'd tried, but he was worried that he couldn't fit what we had in the fieldhouse and provide uniforms. "You may think im joking, but im not"!

I do have to disagree with you to an extent. I do not see where usj lost many students who are athletes over the last couple of years. I believe that base of students has held steady or increased. It is my belief that the decrease in the usj student population is because many students on the academic side moved away from usj and moved to schools like South Gibson Chester County and Madison. Coach Stroup most definitely brought a couple of players in to the usj system. he did not rack up that increase in players from last year do to grabbing kids out of the hallway like he was able to do at Scotts Hill. I would remind you that I'm not in any way bashing Couch Sroup in any way shape or form. He did a great job at Scotts Hill and that's what got him the job at usj no question about it. I don't think that usj should have moved down to class A. However they were within their rights according to the rules. They did make it by the skin of their teeth. I do expect them to move back up to class Double AA during the next reclassification

7 hours ago, Kublah said:

It's early but USJ looks like they would've been a top 4-5 DII-AA team this year. 

I would say that the above comment is a bit of a stretch. Would usj have been better in division 2 Double A? Maybe would be my answer. I also think that you will find the competition on the top end of division 2 Class A to be quite Stout. Don't judge by early-season results as some of the teams projected to be high up in division 2 Class A played upper-level public school teams during the first couple of weeks of the season

1 hour ago, ReitzFan said:

I do have to disagree with you to an extent. I do not see where usj lost many students who are athletes over the last couple of years. I believe that base of students has held steady or increased. It is my belief that the decrease in the usj student population is because many students on the academic side moved away from usj and moved to schools like South Gibson Chester County and Madison. Coach Stroup most definitely brought a couple of players in to the usj system. he did not rack up that increase in players from last year do to grabbing kids out of the hallway like he was able to do at Scotts Hill. I would remind you that I'm not in any way bashing Couch Sroup in any way shape or form. He did a great job at Scotts Hill and that's what got him the job at usj no question about it. I don't think that usj should have moved down to class A. However they were within their rights according to the rules. They did make it by the skin of their teeth. I do expect them to move back up to class Double AA during the next reclassification

We agree on that Reitz. Academic's in Jackson ( public schools ) reached the point where people who wanted the best for their kids were almost forced to pay for it via the private schools there. Not so much any more, with the schools that you mentioned available to them now. On a side note, Henderson County schools have completely done away with out of county tuition now, and I think that we'll have some Madison County transfers too, when word gets out that we are a level 5 system and rated "Exemplary" by the State Board of Education, in back to back years, which is a rare feat :mrgreen: (shameless plug) :mrgreen: . Back on topic. Stroup will attract some kids... we had some interested in playing for him that couldn't come to Scotts Hill, even if they could have paid the tuition, as we were at capacity, and tuition students came after Henderson and Decatur County students. With our Decatur County agreement being nonexistent now, maybe we'll gain some new faces too.

2 hours ago, tradertwo said:

We agree on that Reitz. Academic's in Jackson ( public schools ) reached the point where people who wanted the best for their kids were almost forced to pay for it via the private schools there. Not so much any more, with the schools that you mentioned available to them now. On a side note, Henderson County schools have completely done away with out of county tuition now, and I think that we'll have some Madison County transfers too, when word gets out that we are a level 5 system and rated "Exemplary" by the State Board of Education, in back to back years, which is a rare feat :mrgreen: (shameless plug) :mrgreen: . Back on topic. Stroup will attract some kids... we had some interested in playing for him that couldn't come to Scotts Hill, even if they could have paid the tuition, as we were at capacity, and tuition students came after Henderson and Decatur County students. With our Decatur County agreement being nonexistent now, maybe we'll gain some new faces too.

Trader I got A 7th grader. No out of county Tuition. My little lion could transition to a black and gold Lion with ease. He might be a pretty good football and baseball player. Just sayin and shaking the bush. 

41 minutes ago, BigEdMo said:

Trader I got A 7th grader. No out of county Tuition. My little lion could transition to a black and gold Lion with ease. He might be a pretty good football and baseball player. Just sayin and shaking the bush. 

All that we can offer is a free top notch education, a fair and unbiased shot to make the teams... and the fact that you'd fit right in with us here, believe me!!!

Just now, tradertwo said:

All that we can offer is a free top notch education, a fair and unbiased shot to make the teams... and the fact that you'd fit right in with us here, believe me!!!

I know We would. Wish we lived closer. Much respect for Scott’s Hill. Not just sports. The Education and community. 

• CoachT locked this topic