USJ Bruins vs TCA Bushwhackers

Kublah

11 hours ago, Kublah said:

Hey welcome back, Intense! 

After seeing a little bit of TCA I have to agree with you. Think they'll just be outmatched, though #7 is electric.

It's early but USJ looks like they would've been a top 4-5 DII-AA team this year. After seeing a little bit from the top teams in DII-A this year I think we've been underrating USJ as a contender.

In 2013, 2014 and 2015 USJ had twice the roster of TCA but TCA had numerous playmakers and USJ couldn’t cover them all.  TCA won big in 13 and 14 and lost a relatively close one in 15 before they went to Goldsmith at QB and the Wildcat.  He was unstoppable at that point.  All my USJ friends agree that it would have been a different outcome had we played at year end but unfortunately we didn’t get that chance and we took the L for the season. Ask Adamsville how that change worked out! Haha. The point is that a much  larger roster will win 80% of the time.  Until the TCA parents let go and encourage their kids to play all sports it will be difficult for TCA to consistently compete with USJ.  TCA will have a run once every 10 years or so where they are loaded with playmakers but it’s hard to argue with math. TCA has 4 or 5 athletes walking the halls right now that would automatically make them a major contender in DII-A but they aren’t on the field.  Coach Butler does everything he can do to encourage the boys to play.  My son almost didn’t play because basketball and soccer were his favorite sports.  He will tell you today 2012-2015 TCA football are some of his favorite sports memories!  I’m thankful the coaches stayed after him and encouraged him to play!

1 hour ago, Intense said:

In 2013, 2014 and 2015 USJ had twice the roster of TCA but TCA had numerous playmakers and USJ couldn’t cover them all.  TCA won big in 13 and 14 and lost a relatively close one in 15 before they went to Goldsmith at QB and the Wildcat.  He was unstoppable at that point.  All my USJ friends agree that it would have been a different outcome had we played at year end but unfortunately we didn’t get that chance and we took the L for the season. Ask Adamsville how that change worked out! Haha. The point is that a much  larger roster will win 80% of the time.  Until the TCA parents let go and encourage their kids to play all sports it will be difficult for TCA to consistently compete with USJ.  TCA will have a run once every 10 years or so where they are loaded with playmakers but it’s hard to argue with math. TCA has 4 or 5 athletes walking the halls right now that would automatically make them a major contender in DII-A but they aren’t on the field.  Coach Butler does everything he can do to encourage the boys to play.  My son almost didn’t play because basketball and soccer were his favorite sports.  He will tell you today 2012-2015 TCA football are some of his favorite sports memories!  I’m thankful the coaches stayed after him and encouraged him to play!

This post is absolutely spot-on. Please tell Three Dog that I said hello. I see posts by him and about him on social media. I believe that young man will do great things in his life. I believe there are three main reasons for it.... Number one is his faith.... Number two is the upbringing from his parents.... Number three is the discipline and drive that he learned from being a multi-sport athlete. Three Dog is one of my all-time favorites. That covers a lot of athletes over all of the years I have been covering TCA Athletics

Edited by ReitzFan

7 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

I do have to disagree with you to an extent. I do not see where usj lost many students who are athletes over the last couple of years. I believe that base of students has held steady or increased. It is my belief that the decrease in the usj student population is because many students on the academic side moved away from usj and moved to schools like South Gibson Chester County and Madison. Coach Stroup most definitely brought a couple of players in to the usj system. he did not rack up that increase in players from last year do to grabbing kids out of the hallway like he was able to do at Scotts Hill. I would remind you that I'm not in any way bashing Couch Sroup in any way shape or form. He did a great job at Scotts Hill and that's what got him the job at usj no question about it. I don't think that usj should have moved down to class A. However they were within their rights according to the rules. They did make it by the skin of their teeth. I do expect them to move back up to class Double AA during the next reclassification

I appreciate your deep concern over USJ enrollment numbers. When classifications were done in 2016, USJ was at 312 and one of the smallest in II-AA, with a district that included zero opponents within 75 miles of our school. We then proceeded to graduate a record class in 2018 of 106 and replaced it with a freshman class of 46. That figure was the primary reason for the 20% drop resulting in reclassification. We have a nearly identical enrollment to that of TCA and JCS even now (+/- 20) and if you want to split hairs, our enrollment at the time of classification was actually less than TCA. For the moment, we have chosen to play schools of comparable size and now have 4 district opponents within an hour and 2 within a stone's throw. So point fingers if you will, but I doubt your administration would have chosen otherwise.

In regards to the numbers on the field, take for example our sophomore class which still has less than 50, but includes 12 football players. The majority of our defections going into high school are to Madison, which offers a quality academic experience, but may be more lacking in some of the other things USJ has to offer. We don't have a requirement to play sports like some private schools (no local ones that I am aware of), but we do seem to have a high participation rate. We will see how the numbers shake out next fall when the TSSAA comes calling again, but it's a toss-up right now. The 8th grade is one of the biggest classes in the school and may push us back above the threshold, depending on where they set the cutoff. In my experience, these "lines" seem to be drawn at the suggestion of middle and east schools with far more political influence than any of our Madison County friends.

For now, you are stuck with us, so can we please talk some football?

1 hour ago, Bellsburg2 said:

I appreciate your deep concern over USJ enrollment numbers. When classifications were done in 2016, USJ was at 312 and one of the smallest in II-AA, with a district that included zero opponents within 75 miles of our school. We then proceeded to graduate a record class in 2018 of 106 and replaced it with a freshman class of 46. That figure was the primary reason for the 20% drop resulting in reclassification. We have a nearly identical enrollment to that of TCA and JCS even now (+/- 20) and if you want to split hairs, our enrollment at the time of classification was actually less than TCA. For the moment, we have chosen to play schools of comparable size and now have 4 district opponents within an hour and 2 within a stone's throw. So point fingers if you will, but I doubt your administration would have chosen otherwise.

In regards to the numbers on the field, take for example our sophomore class which still has less than 50, but includes 12 football players. The majority of our defections going into high school are to Madison, which offers a quality academic experience, but may be more lacking in some of the other things USJ has to offer. We don't have a requirement to play sports like some private schools (no local ones that I am aware of), but we do seem to have a high participation rate. We will see how the numbers shake out next fall when the TSSAA comes calling again, but it's a toss-up right now. The 8th grade is one of the biggest classes in the school and may push us back above the threshold, depending on where they set the cutoff. In my experience, these "lines" seem to be drawn at the suggestion of middle and east schools with far more political influence than any of our Madison County friends.

For now, you are stuck with us, so can we please talk some football?

Bellsburg2,

You do realize that I was not accusing usj of anything improper. I simply pointed out that they qualified for division 2 Class A by the skin of their teeth. The dividing line between Class A and class AA was 265. The largest Class A School, Davidson Academy had 264. Columbia Academy is it 262. Usj and Middle Tennessee Christian both have 248. The smallest AA School is Harding Academy with 266. Usj was under the cut line by 16 students. That in my mind is a pretty narrow margin. And that was all I was saying. TCA numbers were 222. Jackson Christian numbers were at 238. Your declaration that usj was plus or minus 20 students of TCA was a bit in error. That is all right though. I won't hold your mathematical error against you. Your 2016 numbers that you said were 312 students would have put you in the middle third of this year's classification in AA. That is a little bit different then your claim that you were one of the smallest schools. The numbers don't lie. We do agree on one . Usj lost quite a bit of students to Madison and some other schools in this area. I will stand by my statement that I don't believe usj lost a whole lot of athletes from 2016 to 2018. I hear you folks have some large classes in the pipeline. I do suspect your stay in class A will be a short one. by the way neither TCA or JCS make students participate in athletics. Nice try on that little insinuation though.

In regards to the game on Friday, the obvious first thing to say is that will be a standing-room-only crowd. And it will be. If our friends from McClellan Road want a good seat they should arrive early as you are aware that visitor stands are somewhat Limited. The best natural grass surface in West Tennessee will be in top shape. That I can promise. As always, the atmosphere will be intense. Both teams will have butterflies. I suspect a turnover or two by either or both teams early on Friday night. I would not be surprised if that could possibly end up being the difference in the game. Who capitalizes on the others mistakes? While it is regrettable that usj has lost their starting quarterback for this game, it is more than obvious but they have a very adequate backup. He got plenty of time under Center last year and played almost the entire game last week. I don't think that young man will be nervous at all. The Bruins have the advantage at the wide receiver position with their experience. With that being said TCA does have some very capable wide receivers of their own. Usj returns one running back who gained 962 yards last year and is a Bruiser and he gashed TCA last season for over 150 yds yards. Normally I would give the advantage with those kind of numbers to usj. However, TCA will have the best overall Athlete on the field in my opinion in number seven. Although he is normally a wide receiver, he has spent most of his time this year as a running back for the Lions and has over 400 yards in just two games. TCA also has another running back who is averaging close to 100 yards per game. If TCA can get the blocking up front, the Lions would be very dangerous. I will give the advantage in the kicking game to the Lions of TCA. Their kicker has had seven of his eight kickoffs go for touchbacks already this season. He is solid on extra points with his only miss this season coming on a bobbled snap. The punter for TCA is averaging over 40 yards per kick this season. The offensive and defensive lines for both teams are a mix of veterans and new players. I feel that these players will be the key to this game. Whichever team has the more dominant line play, will win the game. Both teams have several players going both ways so conditioning and hydration will be a factor. Hopefully, this game will live up to the hype that it usually receives each year from fans and from the media. Most of all, my wish is for an injury free game for players on both sides.

There were 2 large RBs last year, Tharpe #15 and Wallace #6, that accounted for a big share of our offense. Tharpe graduated and Wallace returns as a senior. The primary tailback is Willis #4 (also a senior) who has been running the ball very well in the preseason. Last week against SS, there was a fairly balanced dose of the two. Without charting every play, I would guess the offense last week was probably 60/40 in favor of passing, with some good chunks of yardage coming in the air. USJ has retooled the offense a bit this year, but will obviously tailor it on a week-to-week basis as the opponent dictates.

The OL has 3 returning starters with a newly starting Senior center and a green but talented Freshman LT. USJ should have the advantage in the trenches and I'm sure will try to establish the ground game early.

Odom and Shields have spoken. 

USJ is playing a second-string quarterback in Andrew Smith after starter Cody Smith went down with a knee injury in Week 2 for the second straight season. But the bigger point is that the Bruins' defense shut out South Side. USJ's defense will have to deal with the speed of Kevin Davis, who has played all over the field for TCA.

Odom's pick: USJ 33, TCA 17

Shields' pick: USJ 35, TCA 14

1 hour ago, Pledgemaster said:

Odom and Shields have spoken. 

USJ is playing a second-string quarterback in Andrew Smith after starter Cody Smith went down with a knee injury in Week 2 for the second straight season. But the bigger point is that the Bruins' defense shut out South Side. USJ's defense will have to deal with the speed of Kevin Davis, who has played all over the field for TCA.

Odom's pick: USJ 33, TCA 17

Shields' pick: USJ 35, TCA 14

Welcome to the T.  Your son is an excellent kicker!  Will we see three on side kicks in a row this year?

Just now, Intense said:

Welcome to the T.  Your son is an excellent kicker!  Will we see three on side kicks in a row this year?

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words. I doubt it seriously, but who knows what Coach Hardegree has planned on special teams. As a freshman, Ben couldn't consistently kick touchbacks, so the onside kicks were a necessity to keep from kicking to Davis. I look forward to a good game on Friday.

2 hours ago, Pledgemaster said:

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words. I doubt it seriously, but who knows what Coach Hardegree has planned on special teams. As a freshman, Ben couldn't consistently kick touchbacks, so the onside kicks were a necessity to keep from kicking to Davis. I look forward to a good game on Friday.

My son was a kicker and receiver for TCA from 2012-2015.  Been there on those extra points that really, really matter!  The only parents in the stands that pay close attention during extra points are snapper, holder and kickers parents!!  

Edited by Intense
  • Like 1

• CoachT locked this topic