Greeneville @ The Hill

DevilMan03

44 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Ok. So serious question. Since Knox Co schools have such strict transfer policies and you feel it gives them a disadvantage against other schools in football, have you spoken to the school board about amending their policies and requirements?  They have complete power to do so and level the playing field. Why don’t they just do it??

Too keep the teams more equal and not have 3 or 4 dominate programs in the entire county.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

How is it an advantage when almost every high school in the state has the same advantage and the ones that don’t could have if they wanted too??

I think your almost numbers on open enrollment are alot less than you think. I'm sure all the counties wish they were open zoned but they are not. Because it keeps counties from having only 1 or 2 great high schools. Like someone above they had a kid transfer for a band policy. In Knox Co they would tell you to join your zoned schools band. Unlike Greene Co that is not a legitimate reason.

12 minutes ago, GaryGaines said:

I think your almost numbers on open enrollment are alot less than you think. I'm sure all the counties wish they were open zoned but they are not. Because it keeps counties from having only 1 or 2 great high schools. Like someone above they had a kid transfer for a band policy. In Knox Co they would tell you to join your zoned schools band. Unlike Greene Co that is not a legitimate reason.

First let me same I am 100% positive of my statement regarding zoned schools. I do agree with most of what you are saying about it does prevent certain schools from having good teams while some thrive. But I just don’t think that bashing posters on coach t is the way to solve the problem. You know last year Greeneville played Maplewood in the semis and Maplewood is open zone like greeneville. They played Anderson co the week before that and Anderson co was open zone. I could go on and on. The problem lies with the policies and individual schools can change them whenever they want. No one on coach t can. 

24 minutes ago, GaryGaines said:

Thats the thing it's not less than you think because you don't even know what is classified as open zoned or closed zone and your post's have proven this.

If all the counties wished they were open zoned it would be very simple process to do in changing School Board Policy.  It's hard to join a band program that didn't exist in Greene Co when Barb sent her daughter to GHS but i guess you just skipped over that she stated that.

It's the same way you can apply for a transfer if you want to study a program in Knox Co. and the school your zoned for doesn't offer that.  Could be a german class (I've seen a student get approved to transfer schools for that exact reason) or the IB program only certain high schools in Knox Co offer and item #5 in the transfer policy for Knox Co. Schools

9 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

First let me same I am 100% positive of my statement regarding zoned schools. I do agree with most of what you are saying about it does prevent certain schools from having good teams while some thrive. But I just don’t think that bashing posters on coach t is the way to solve the problem. You know last year Greeneville played Maplewood in the semis and Maplewood is open zone like greeneville. They played Anderson co the week before that and Anderson co was open zone. I could go on and on. The problem lies with the policies and individual schools can change them whenever they want. No one on coach t can. 

I've repeatedly said they have a great program. I've also repeatedly said they refuse to admit it's an advantage. I'm pretty sure williamson is in the same boat at Knoxville. I know all about Metro schools and they by your definition of open zone but they 90% of the time go to the school they are zoned for because they don't approve transfers as easily as Greene Co. Also Greeneville played Springfield High School which is closed zone. Do you consider that an advantage or no? 

3 minutes ago, GaryGaines said:

Being exempted from NCLB in 2013 was a big wake-up call for the power programs in zones without clearly defined transfer rules. One that comes to mind is Signal Mtn who reaped the benefits of NCLB transfers from failing Hamilton County Schools. As soon as that zoning loophole closed, their talent pool dried up. Not only did NCLB allow parents to choose a better learning environment but also an athletic program that would increase their kid's chances to play at the next level. You seem to be finding fault in allowing a parent to make a decision on what is best for their child. Greene County has 4 great high schools and all of them perform at a high level compared to the state averages which is great considering more than 60% of their funding comes from the state. If Greeneville is siphoning all of the great athletes from the county, explain to me how South Greene, which is the closest county school to the city limits always has outstanding athletics for both boys and girls.

4 minutes ago, barb said:

Being exempted from NCLB in 2013 was a big wake-up call for the power programs in zones without clearly defined transfer rules. One that comes to mind is Signal Mtn who reaped the benefits of NCLB transfers from failing Hamilton County Schools. As soon as that zoning loophole closed, their talent pool dried up. Not only did NCLB allow parents to choose a better learning environment but also an athletic program that would increase their kid's chances to play at the next level. You seem to be finding fault in allowing a parent to make a decision on what is best for their child. Greene County has 4 great high schools and all of them perform at a high level compared to the state averages which is great considering more than 60% of their funding comes from the state. If Greeneville is siphoning all of the great athletes from the county, explain to me how South Greene, which is the closest county school to the city limits always has outstanding athletics for both boys and girls.

You could put all other high schools in Greene county against Greeneville and it wouldn't be close. Fact. Because their athletes are at Greeneville.