2020 Ed Cressel Classic (9th Annual)

THSVikingWrestling

The field is set for the 2020 Ed Cressel Classic on January 10 & 11, 2020. This event takes place at Virginia High School in Bristol, Va. As you can see we have a stacked field this year and look forward to another great event.

Team's Attending:
Virginia High
Tennessee High: 6th in TSSAA (AAA)
Central, VA (Wise)
George Wythe, VA (Wytheville): 7th in VHSL 1A
Grayson County, VA 2nd in VHSL 2A
Rockbridge County, VA
Castlewood HS, VA 5th in VHSL 1A
Blacksburg, VA
Galax, VA 4th in VHSL 1A
Chilhowie, VA 10th in VHSL 1A
Marion, VA
Union, VA 8th in VHSL 2A
Northwood, VA
Patrick Henry, VA (Glade)
Honaker, VA
Holston, VA
Shady Spring, WV
Richlands, VA
Tazewell, VA
Fishburne Military School, VA
Rustburg, VA
Roanoke Catholic, VA
John Battle, VA
Graham, VA 7th in VHSL 2A
Lebanon, VA 3rd in VHSL 2A
Abingdon, VA 6th in VHSL 3A
Volunteer, TN
JI Burton, VA
Amherst County, VA 10th in VHSL 4A
Oak Hill Academy, VA
Cleveland, TN TSSAA State Dual & Individual AAA Champs
Spring Valley, WV
Wirt County, WV 2018 & 2019 Class A State Runner Up, 2017 Class A State Champs
Avery County, NC
Heritage, VA (Lynchburg)
Cave Spring, VA
Georgetown Prep, MD
Sullivan East, TN

Edited by BearcatWrestling
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

What can you guys tell me about this tournament. I went to high school in NC  wife went in TN. I wrestled at Avery Co in the early 90s and they are going to this tournament. Avery has some really tough kids. A 2 time state champion at 132 River Griffith.A Sophomore Levi Andrews that won it last year as a Fr at 220 A Sophomore that placed 2nd as a Fr at 120 Ethan Shell. At 182 has placed in states Lucas Andrews. They finished 5th at the Holy Angels tournament in Charlotte. The top four team were from Georgia,Georgia,Wisconsin and Georgia at that tournament.

Edited by Appvol

Well my old high school Avery finished 2nd with 205.5 points. Only had 10 kids. 8 out of the 10 placed.Had 4 in the finals.2 won it at 120 and 132. The 132 River Griffith was named most outstanding wrestler for the lower weights. Georgetown Prep was there and they had Kyonte Hamilton who is ranked 3rd in the Country at 220 going to Rutgers and won Beast of the East this year.Hamilton was most outstanding for the upper weights. Cleveland won it with 256 points.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Appvol said:

Well my old high school Avery finished 2nd with 205.5 points. Only had 10 kids. 8 out of the 10 placed.Had 4 in the finals.2 won it at 120 and 132. The 132 River Griffith was named most outstanding wrestler for the lower weights. Georgetown Prep was there and they had Kyonte Hamilton who is ranked 3rd in the Country at 220 going to Rutgers and won Beast of the East this year.Hamilton was most outstanding for the upper weights. Cleveland won it with 256 points.

Cleveland left 4 starters at home trying to get a little healthier. The 120 pound kid for you guys was very solid. I hate that ours missed a chance to compete with him. 

10 hours ago, JIII said:

Cleveland left 4 starters at home trying to get a little healthier. The 120 pound kid for you guys was very solid. I hate that ours missed a chance to compete with him. 

I noticed your 220 kid Davis wasn’t there. Avery has a kid that won it last year as a Freshman at 106 that out this year with a shoulder. He might of been at 113 this year.For a 1a school they did pretty good. 

Edited by Appvol

4 minutes ago, CHSBLUE said:

Jackson Bradford

2 minutes ago, JTBMom said:

Jackson Bradford

Yeah that would of been a good match between those two. Cleveland should look into going to the Holy Angels tournament next year in Charlotte,NC. It’s a really good tournament.Our 120 got beat in the finals there and our 132.

The Head Coach at Appalachian State John Mark Bentley is from Avery. He never lost in high school and won the high school nationals in 1997. Went UNC and transferred to Oklahoma St. in his college career.

• Upvote 1