Martin Westview @ Covington

CHARGERFAN

Well, I didn't want to give Westview any bulletin board material, so didn't post it here, but I told several folks around town today that I expected Covington to win by at least 30 points.

Our defense may be the best high school defense I have ever seen. For sure it's the best I have ever seen Covington field, and that goes back to 1983. That "immovable object" didn't give up but 7 points tonight, and that came after we forced Westview into a "3 and out" deep in their own end when we were up 20-0. Our punt returner fumbled the ball away at midfield, giving the ball back, and leading to Westview's only points.

OTOH, Marcus Hayes went 80 yards for a TD on the first play from scrimmage in this game. Our offense piled up yards and points all night. 

As far as special teams, Westview snapped a ball over the punters head on their first possession, we recovered at the 1, then scored in one play. Westview had another punt blocked and returned for a TD.

in the battle of the coaches, J.R. Kirby wins over Mat McConnell with a TKO.

• Upvote 1

That was officially a straight up #### whippin! Congratulations to Covington. That is officially the worst loss ever handed to McConnell and the fewest points scored since 2014 by his offense. Wow! I’m impressed! Hope Covington takes the ball this year against Alcoa! Good luck the rest of the way!

6 hours ago, Trollin said:

Just to clear the air... and make myself clear... I am not a Westview fan. I do not believe they will win every game. But what I do know is that offense and what it is capable of. I believe that Westview will lose maybe 1 or 2 games this regular season. The only potential teams to give them an L that I see is Covington, SouthGibson or maybe “hopefully” Waverly. I remember when nobody believed in Waverly and we just kept surprising ppl. Just wait, you all will see what I mean. To be honest I would love to see a team shut down that offense, but just don’t believe it’s possible. They will score. A lot. 

:popcorneater: