Father Ryan

PurpleReign74

After watching this team closely the last few years, it is obvious they are poorly coached and undisciplined.

1) Offense is vanilla and predictable.  They  have a top 15 QB (pro-style, pocket passer) that looks below average on the field.  They give him no easy throws to get on track.  The OC’s favorite play is a long fade or post that everyone knows is coming.  They were 0fer at least 8 on this play last night.  This play is called despite being athletically outmatched.

2) Last week they averaged more than 1 penalty per possession.  Direct reflection of coaching.

3) This week, critical 2nd half touchdown pass by JP2 and FR D didn’t even attempt to chase the receiver.  

4) More on offense...They have a 6’4” 200+ senior TE (looks like most athletic player on team) who can catch who is shockingly not involved in the offense.  He has caught a few passes this season, all long crossing patterns.  MLBs blitz most every play because there is no threat of a pass in their zone. 

5) Defense looks confused and uninspired.  I am willing to bet a years Catholic tuition that they don’t watch film. Wait....I happen to know that the coaches didn’t share film with the team this week.  With all their success the last several years, they may be onto something.  Top tier programs take note.  You too can be 1-3 if you don’t watch film.

It has become painful to watch the school that means so much to me and my family.  I hope the decision makers are taking note.  I doubt it though, if they were, the basketball “coach” would have been fired years ago

On 9/14/2019 at 3:26 PM, PurpleReign74 said:

After watching this team closely the last few years, it is obvious they are poorly coached and undisciplined.

1) Offense is vanilla and predictable.  They  have a top 15 QB (pro-style, pocket passer) that looks below average on the field.  They give him no easy throws to get on track.  The OC’s favorite play is a long fade or post that everyone knows is coming.  They were 0fer at least 8 on this play last night.  This play is called despite being athletically outmatched.

2) Last week they averaged more than 1 penalty per possession.  Direct reflection of coaching.

3) This week, critical 2nd half touchdown pass by JP2 and FR D didn’t even attempt to chase the receiver.  

4) More on offense...They have a 6’4” 200+ senior TE (looks like most athletic player on team) who can catch who is shockingly not involved in the offense.  He has caught a few passes this season, all long crossing patterns.  MLBs blitz most every play because there is no threat of a pass in their zone. 

5) Defense looks confused and uninspired.  I am willing to bet a years Catholic tuition that they don’t watch film. Wait....I happen to know that the coaches didn’t share film with the team this week.  With all their success the last several years, they may be onto something.  Top tier programs take note.  You too can be 1-3 if you don’t watch film.

It has become painful to watch the school that means so much to me and my family.  I hope the decision makers are taking note.  I doubt it though, if they were, the basketball “coach” would have been fired years ago

PR74-  I agree with a lot of your assessment, and disagree on a few points:

1)  Nothing against the QB as I believe he is a good high character kid. But he is a top 15 QB according to the ranking groups who give us the “stars” for high school recruits.  He got the stars from camp appearances.  He has looks average on the field.  More Int’s than TDS, 3 straight games with a pick 6.  I agree that the OC is only looking for the long ball instead of letting him get a rhythm with short passes.  Those typically come late in the 4th qtr when we are playing catch up and remarkably he can drive us straight down the field.

4) We have more than just the TE.  When looking at our sideline, there are several 6’0+ players with receiver numbers on their jersey who don’t see the field, and if they do, are not apart of the scheme.  We are D2-3A, most teams have a very talented secondary.  BGA (D2-3A) has the best secondary we’ve seen IMO, but I believe Ensworth is even scarier!

5) Defense- our preseason district LB (our only district/region player discussed) is playing safety?  Also, I believe they have film, but are they instructed to watch it by themselves?  Are coaches going over film with them?  I believe they are uninspired because they see the long ball strategy, the eventual int, and start losing faith in the qb.  It is a recipe for disaster.

Lastly, we are a young team with only 8-9 seniors.  However, we have approximately 80 kids and only 20ish see time on the field.  At this point, it’s time for some others to get On The Job training!  

On 9/14/2019 at 3:26 PM, PurpleReign74 said:

While watching FR basketball is painful, I feel Bontrager gets as much out of his talent as any coach in the district.

IMO, FR's problem is too much competition - FRA, Lipsomb, MBA, Ensworth, BA, CPA, etc. - on that side of town.

11 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Catholic kids are not automatic locks for FR like they used to  be. They have to do a better  job of recruiting to survive in that division.

u can say that again brother Mike....same over in the lower east......times have changed.....there r so many ND alum that r so focused on the social status scene they r payin for their kids to go to one of the 2 big Blue Bloods of McCallie & Baylor.....and Booger tellin you it ant cause the education better...

Booger just sayin  :roll:

1 hour ago, JRB said:

While watching FR basketball is painful, I feel Bontrager gets as much out of his talent as any coach in the district.

IMO, FR's problem is too much competition - FRA, Lipsomb, MBA, Ensworth, BA, CPA, etc. - on that side of town.

Spot on assessment.  And with Libscomb cheaper than everyone in the area ($5-$15k), a former NFL QB as coach, and new facilities, “A change is coming”

I have 2 boys at JP2 (non-football players).  If FR has a similar financial aid policy as Pope, which I imagine they do as we are part of the same diocese, then recruiting against the likes of your "neighbors" is very difficult.

Someone mentioned the BGA secondary in a different thread.  Several of those boys are from Hendersonville and were slated to attend JP2.  The offer they received from BGA was quire different than JP2's.  The families packed their bags and now live south of Franklin.

3 minutes ago, JRB said:

I have 2 boys at JP2 (non-football players).  If FR has a similar financial aid policy as Pope, which I imagine they do as we are part of the same diocese, then recruiting against the likes of your "neighbors" is very difficult.

Someone mentioned the BGA secondary in a different thread.  Several of those boys are from Hendersonville and were slated to attend JP2.  The offer they received from BGA was quire different than JP2's.  The families packed their bags and now live south of Franklin.

JP2 and Father Ryan have to adhere to diocese rules....BGA and others do not.  It isn’t a TSSAA thing...diocese thing.

True.  So our schools will not typically get the elite athletes, which is fine by me.  Somebody has to play Alabama or the Yankees in their respective sports.

IMO JP2 should be able to compete better for athletes than FR because we do not have the same types of schools mentioned earlier on our side of town

6 hours ago, PurplePanther said:

PR74-  I agree with a lot of your assessment, and disagree on a few points:

1)  Nothing against the QB as I believe he is a good high character kid. But he is a top 15 QB according to the ranking groups who give us the “stars” for high school recruits.  He got the stars from camp appearances.  He has looks average on the field.  More Int’s than TDS, 3 straight games with a pick 6.  I agree that the OC is only looking for the long ball instead of letting him get a rhythm with short passes.  Those typically come late in the 4th qtr when we are playing catch up and remarkably he can drive us straight down the field.

4) We have more than just the TE.  When looking at our sideline, there are several 6’0+ players with receiver numbers on their jersey who don’t see the field, and if they do, are not apart of the scheme.  We are D2-3A, most teams have a very talented secondary.  BGA (D2-3A) has the best secondary we’ve seen IMO, but I believe Ensworth is even scarier!

5) Defense- our preseason district LB (our only district/region player discussed) is playing safety?  Also, I believe they have film, but are they instructed to watch it by themselves?  Are coaches going over film with them?  I believe they are uninspired because they see the long ball strategy, the eventual int, and start losing faith in the qb.  It is a recipe for disaster.

Lastly, we are a young team with only 8-9 seniors.  However, we have approximately 80 kids and only 20ish see time on the field.  At this point, it’s time for some others to get On The Job training!  

1) I’m sure QB is a good kid that is in a very bad situation.  I feel sorry for him.  I also agree with the star system.  College coaches are crazy for offering some of these kids based on camp performance.

2) Coach T and his non-scheme is the problem.  Watching Father Ryan on offense is like playing my 10 year old in Madden.  Go deep then go deep then go deep again.  If a run works, call the same play over and over and don’t even try to disguise it....even when the defense adjusts.  Coach T is in way over his head.

3) Your QB is prototypical pocket passer (think Brady, Rivers, Big Ben, etc.) He is currently the leading rusher on the team.  Coach T will call the QB draw until he gets hurt.  Your best offensive play is a QB draw with a 6’4” slow running, passer.  How the head coach allows this to be called is beyond me.

4) I don’t agree with playing with kids that aren’t physically ready.  However, you have 6, 2, 3, 8, 94 & 89 that are ready.  If the program is right, 8 & 94 are 6’4” and would be matchup nightmares for LBs.  Yet I haven’t seen one short/intermediate route to a TE this season.  Just the threat of this would keep the LBs out of the QBs face

5) Defense is a disaster.  No pass rush, no pash rush concepts.  They have multiple players out of position.  The defense is easy to attack because they have no idea how to coach a 3-4, disguise coverages or implement effective blitz packages.  These things take defensive coaches and/or a head coach that understands defense.

6) They watch film of themselves practicing.  This is a fact.  There was no film of the Baylor game shared.  I’m sure there was nothing to learn.

7) if we don’t lead the state in penalties, we are close.  That is a direct reflection of coaching and discipline.

8) How many years does FR allow for a coach to get his kids in place and turn a program around?  The record now looks to be worse each year the current Staff has been in place.  Is that a question for the diocese, McIntyre or the board.  If you have a bad, non competitive program, who are you going to recruit?

25 minutes ago, PurpleReign74 said:

1) I’m sure QB is a good kid that is in a very bad situation.  I feel sorry for him.  I also agree with the star system.  College coaches are crazy for offering some of these kids based on camp performance.

2) Coach T and his non-scheme is the problem.  Watching Father Ryan on offense is like playing my 10 year old in Madden.  Go deep then go deep then go deep again.  If a run works, call the same play over and over and don’t even try to disguise it....even when the defense adjusts.  Coach T is in way over his head.

3) Your QB is prototypical pocket passer (think Brady, Rivers, Big Ben, etc.) He is currently the leading rusher on the team.  Coach T will call the QB draw until he gets hurt.  Your best offensive play is a QB draw with a 6’4” slow running, passer.  How the head coach allows this to be called is beyond me.

4) I don’t agree with playing with kids that aren’t physically ready.  However, you have 6, 2, 3, 8, 94 & 89 that are ready.  If the program is right, 8 & 94 are 6’4” and would be matchup nightmares for LBs.  Yet I haven’t seen one short/intermediate route to a TE this season.  Just the threat of this would keep the LBs out of the QBs face

5) Defense is a disaster.  No pass rush, no pash rush concepts.  They have multiple players out of position.  The defense is easy to attack because they have no idea how to coach a 3-4, disguise coverages or implement effective blitz packages.  These things take defensive coaches and/or a head coach that understands defense.

6) They watch film of themselves practicing.  This is a fact.  There was no film of the Baylor game shared.  I’m sure there was nothing to learn.

7) if we don’t lead the state in penalties, we are close.  That is a direct reflection of coaching and discipline.

8) How many years does FR allow for a coach to get his kids in place and turn a program around?  The record now looks to be worse each year the current Staff has been in place.  Is that a question for the diocese, McIntyre or the board.  If you have a bad, non competitive program, who are you going to recruit?

I couldn’t agree more.  Meanwhile, one of the “Top 50 Nashville Area all-time players (according to the Tennessean) leaves BA to become DC at BGA.  He is not only alumni, but has 2 kids in middle school that could be game changers for the Irish.

WHAT??!!!!

3 hours ago, PurplePanther said:

JP2 and Father Ryan have to adhere to diocese rules....BGA and others do not.  It isn’t a TSSAA thing...diocese thing.

aman brother....look at ND and their facilities.....compared to the Catholic North who is sittin right in the Bishops back yard.....we cant even get alumni involved without gettin slapped on the hand

its only gonna get worse in this new classification structure.....and this  D2-AA stuff is gonna b like a runnaway locomotive and the likes of the ND gonna get blown of the tracks......but you can bet it want happen at Catholic North

Booger just sayin.....:eek: