Father Ryan

PurpleReign74

8 hours ago, cbg said:

IMO, adding a 7th & 8th grade to both Father Ryan and JP2 would really help both schools as students are leaving Catholic grade schools after the 6th grade.  When this is discussed it is always brought up that it would hurt the current Catholic grade schools in the Nashville area but that is not true.  Remove the 7th & 8th grade from the grade schools and use that space to add child care beginning with  infants and they will make more money than they are currently making.  It would also allow parents that have children in the day care program to view the school and make the decision  to attend Catholic grade schools after having a positive experience in the daycare.  This should be a big win for both the grade schools and high schools.

Agreed.  And on the north side of town, the 3 Catholic grade schools (St John, St Joseph & St Pius) are barely surviving, primarily due to location. 

Edited by JRB

18 minutes ago, Playerscoach said:

FTR the catholic middle school team destined to go to FR is one of the best in middle TN. It doesn’t hurt Tony C. (FR all time great) is coaching them. :)

Couldn’t agree more.  I’d love to see him at Ryan.  The kids really respond to him.  He isn’t the only one as Marty B. is good as well!

Big test for the Irish tomorrow night at BA. Even without Wade Williams at QB, the Eagles will be tough.

Because I do play-by-play for Father Ryan football webcasts, I'm hesitant to say anything at all. But the effort has been there. And I'm sure the coaches are going with the plays they believe give the team the best chance to win.

But, by the same token, I'm always listening to what my fellow alumni and supporters have to say.

And I'll add this: I'm very encouraged for the future with the Nashville Catholic Panthers youth football program. As much fun as the parochial league was circa 1990, it just makes much more sense to do it this way now. Utilize Father Ryan's facilities, learn proper fundamentals, develop a rapport with future high school teammates, etc.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, LouPickney said:

And I'll add this: I'm very encouraged for the future with the Nashville Catholic Panthers youth football program. As much fun as the parochial league was circa 1990, it just makes much more sense to do it this way now. Utilize Father Ryan's facilities, learn proper fundamentals, develop a rapport with future high school teammates, etc.

So you think it's fair to put all the talented kids on the "Father Ryan" middle school team as opposed to splitting the talent equally with JPII? Sounds like this is completely one sided and exactly what FRHS wants. I'm eagerly waiting on your response 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Football101101 said:

So you think it's fair to put all the talented kids on the "Father Ryan" middle school team as opposed to splitting the talent equally with JPII? Sounds like this is completely one sided and exactly what FRHS wants. I'm eagerly waiting on your response 

This was kind of my point. The team was "created" under the premise that the Catholic schools could play together and be competitive. Ryan created it to filter the kids into the school and that is why JP2 had to establish the North Catholic team.

Not to mention last year (no clue about this year) many of the best players on the Catholic Panther team did not go to a Catholic middle school.

My earlier statement about how it was funny it is being called the Father Ryan feeder team, although when it was created it was claimed that is exactly what it wasn't suppose to be (although it has become obvious quickly that it is such)...

Just my outsiders few of it, with no dog in the catholic race.

Edited by mofototo50

49 minutes ago, Football101101 said:

Although not directed at me, let me put some facts out there:

prior to Catholic Panthers- middle school team numbers dwindled so much that there were 3 diocese teams: west, central, and north catholic.

last year, central and north catholic didn’t have numbers to field teams.  Central had already planned to merge with west.  North Catholic parents found out the Friday before the first practice that there would be no team.

Some NC kids didn’t play at all since the daily drive across town was too much. Many of these parents live in Sumner county and not Davidson.  

JP2 freshman team has the mix of former CP players was well as some that missed playing their 8th grade year.

i don’t think that it is a fair statement to say “split the talent” since the aren’t public zoned schools.  JP2 is in Sumner County with a host of athletes that live in close proximity, but go to Gallatin, Hendersonville, BGA (you have to pass Father Ryan to get there).  Why are they not getting the players?  Not to mention the school bus that goes all the way to Bowling Green Ky.

Does Ryan have an advantage?  Yes.  They stepped up and provided facilities.  The coaches for the newly formed team had been coaching for years in the parochial league and elsewhere.  NC coaches haven’t coached football since the collapse of the teams.

what kid wouldn’t want a chance to be a part of a program that has yet to loose?  A chance to play with his teammates for another 4 years?

10 hours ago, LouPickney said:

Big test for the Irish tomorrow night at BA. Even without Wade Williams at QB, the Eagles will be tough.

Because I do play-by-play for Father Ryan football webcasts, I'm hesitant to say anything at all. But the effort has been there. And I'm sure the coaches are going with the plays they believe give the team the best chance to win.

But, by the same token, I'm always listening to what my fellow alumni and supporters have to say.

After last year, I thought the lefty kid, Taylor Montiel, was slated to be QB at BA.

4 minutes ago, PurplePanther said:

Although not directed at me, let me put some facts out there:

prior to Catholic Panthers- middle school team numbers dwindled so much that there were 3 diocese teams: west, central, and north catholic.

last year, central and north catholic didn’t have numbers to field teams.  Central had already planned to merge with west.  North Catholic parents found out the Friday before the first practice that there would be no team.

Some NC kids didn’t play at all since the daily drive across town was too much. Many of these parents live in Sumner county and not Davidson.  

JP2 freshman team has the mix of former CP players was well as some that missed playing their 8th grade year.

i don’t think that it is a fair statement to say “split the talent” since the aren’t public zoned schools.  JP2 is in Sumner County with a host of athletes that live in close proximity, but go to Gallatin, Hendersonville, BGA (you have to pass Father Ryan to get there).  Why are they not getting the players?  Not to mention the school bus that goes all the way to Bowling Green Ky.

Does Ryan have an advantage?  Yes.  They stepped up and provided facilities.  The coaches for the newly formed team had been coaching for years in the parochial league and elsewhere.  NC coaches haven’t coached football since the collapse of the teams.

what kid wouldn’t want a chance to be a part of a program that has yet to loose?  A chance to play with his teammates for another 4 years?

The points above made are dead nuts on.