Father Ryan

PurpleReign74

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting news out of the Father Ryan locker room:

“Guys, we have no chance to beat McCallie.  Let’s just worry about playing Lipscomb next week” - COACH RECTOR

This is the quote of a master motivator

Again, no film study this week.   I’m genuinely blown away by the idea that a team that is poorly coached at all positions, doesn’t feel like even superficial film study is important.  

I’ve waited over a week to comment on the Ensworth game.   2 punt returns for TD, blocked FG for a TD and a pick 6.   I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that in one game.  I have mentioned before that FR special teams were awful.  All you have to do is watch the effort by the line in ANY game.  Also, FR needs to remember that other teams watch film.  On 4th down when the QB backs up, he’s going to punt.  Believe it or not, Ensworth figured that out.

Coach Taveau is not a high school coordinator.  He is absolutely clueless conceptually.  Either he truly doesn’t understand how to coach or his every move is controlled by the incompetent head coach.  I suspect it is a bit of both.

This staff absolutely has to go.  I would love to see Father Ryan get a fresh start before  the talented group of youngsters start jumping ship.   Sitting in the stands at Ensworth, listening to coach Rector blame the refs for his team’s failure was interesting and quite ironic.  The other thing that was heard loud and clear in those stands is that I’m not the only one that wants ALL OF THEM GONE!!!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, PurpleReign74 said:

Interesting news out of the Father Ryan locker room:

“Guys, we have no chance to beat McCallie.  Let’s just worry about playing Lipscomb next week” - COACH RECTOR

This is the quote of a master motivator

Again, no film study this week.   I’m genuinely blown away by the idea that a team that is poorly coached at all positions, doesn’t feel like even superficial film study is important.  

I’ve waited over a week to comment on the Ensworth game.   2 punt returns for TD, blocked FG for a TD and a pick 6.   I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that in one game.  I have mentioned before that FR special teams were awful.  All you have to do is watch the effort by the line in ANY game.  Also, FR needs to remember that other teams watch film.  On 4th down when the QB backs up, he’s going to punt.  Believe it or not, Ensworth figured that out.

Coach Taveau is not a high school coordinator.  He is absolutely clueless conceptually.  Either he truly doesn’t understand how to coach or his every move is controlled by the incompetent head coach.  I suspect it is a bit of both.

This staff absolutely has to go.  I would love to see Father Ryan get a fresh start before  the talented group of youngsters start jumping ship.   Sitting in the stands at Ensworth, listening to coach Rector blame the refs for his team’s failure was interesting and quite ironic.  The other thing that was heard loud and clear in those stands is that I’m not the only one that wants ALL OF THEM GONE!!!

Wow!  It is sad if quitting is the lesson being taught.  The Ensworth game was painful.....and the performance by Rector on the sideline with the refs is not something that you want the boys to emulate.

The second punt return for the TD, very poor coaching.  #4 was almost standing on the sideline for the directional punt.  I was screaming to kick it to the other side...you know...the side with no one around.

I don’t think the staff is going anywhere.  McIntyre told a buddy of mine and his son to “hang in there” because the team will be great in a few years.

22 minutes ago, PurplePanther said:

Wow!  It is sad if quitting is the lesson being taught.  The Ensworth game was painful.....and the performance by Rector on the sideline with the refs is not something that you want the boys to emulate.

The second punt return for the TD, very poor coaching.  #4 was almost standing on the sideline for the directional punt.  I was screaming to kick it to the other side...you know...the side with no one around.

I don’t think the staff is going anywhere.  McIntyre told a buddy of mine and his son to “hang in there” because the team will be great in a few years.

The definition of quitting is telling the team they can’t win and then making a decision not to prepare them to win.  Not only is that a pathetic display of leadership but in a game like football can also be dangerous.  If you aren’t prepared you won’t go 100%, if you don’t go 100% chances of injury go up.  This isn’t a new concept.  

I’m not sure where Mcintyre’s logic comes from.  The team is undeniably in worse shape now than 5 years ago.  Rector’s four years have shown steady, identifiable decline.

My feeling is that any coach that wants to salvage their career needs to runaway from Rector.  With each passing year your resume gets worse.  At some point, Rector will not be hirable as a coach.  A fluke State Championship will only take you so far

After reading through these posts, I was expecting a 50 point blowout by McCallie last night. But Father Ryan was ready to play and I was very impressed with their enthusiasm,  effort,  and execution. McCallie played better and harder in the second half and pulled away. But Father Ryan's team can hold their heads high. They were a tough bunch.

Father Ryan performed very well last night. I'm proud of their effort against a very talented McCallie team. The bye week seemed to help the Irish considerably.

The problem with playing McCallie is that their offense can strike so quickly. To that end, Father Ryan being able to run effectively helped keep McCallie's offense off the field for large chunks of time.

I support Coach Rector and his staff. They had the team ready to play.

Here's hoping the Irish can get the win over Lipscomb on Senior Night. Would be nice for the seniors to go out with a win in their final home game at Giacosa Stadium.

10 hours ago, LouPickney said:

Do you support the way he treats players? Do you support the language he and his staff uses toward players?

My cousin shared with me some of the things he was saying to the players at halftime. 

On 9/16/2019 at 1:39 PM, JRB said:

True.  So our schools will not typically get the elite athletes, which is fine by me.  Somebody has to play Alabama or the Yankees in their respective sports.

IMO JP2 should be able to compete better for athletes than FR because we do not have the same types of schools mentioned earlier on our side of town

Pope sits in a very unique spot where they will never have great success IMO. Kids growing up in that area bleed Beech, Hendersonville and Green Wave colors. All they want is to play for one of those schools. Pope sits right in the middle of 3 very successful county schools and thus far have had little success prying talent away from them. I do not expect this to change anytime soon which means Pope will continue to struggle and be middle of the pack at best in DII.

5 hours ago, CFAfan said:

Pope sits in a very unique spot where they will never have great success IMO. Kids growing up in that area bleed Beech, Hendersonville and Green Wave colors. All they want is to play for one of those schools. Pope sits right in the middle of 3 very successful county schools and thus far have had little success prying talent away from them. I do not expect this to change anytime soon which means Pope will continue to struggle and be middle of the pack at best in DII.

I mainly agree with your post.  JP2 is slowly getting some of those kids.

My comment was more of JP2 having less private school competition on this side of town than Father Ryan.  JP2’s last 3 incoming classes have been the largest in the school’s history so the kids are coming from somewhere.  Unfortunately they are not all football players LOL.

On 10/19/2019 at 10:59 PM, LouPickney said:

Father Ryan performed very well last night. I'm proud of their effort against a very talented McCallie team. The bye week seemed to help the Irish considerably.

The problem with playing McCallie is that their offense can strike so quickly. To that end, Father Ryan being able to run effectively helped keep McCallie's offense off the field for large chunks of time.

Here's hoping the Irish can get the win over Lipscomb on Senior Night. Would be nice for the seniors to go out with a win in their final home game at Giacosa Stadium.

Lou....interested for know exactly what you support about Rector and his staff.  Do you support the fact that we are worse now than when he took over?  Do you support the fact his team has regressed this season.  Do you support the FACT that he is outcoached every week?  Do you support his antics on the sidelines?  I suppose you support the boys running past their family and friends after each game.  Have you noticed what the successful coaches encourage after each game.  Father Ryan deserves better. The kids deserve better.  I suspect you know that.   It is interesting that this has more views and more comments than anything else in DII football.  We can only hope that the program is honestly assessed or Rector elects to step down.

On 10/28/2019 at 8:25 AM, archie said:

Culture is the current issue at hand.  I know kids are working hard and desperately want to be successful.  I believe the boys are torn between fierce school loyalty and speaking out against a less than adequate staff.  A winning culture starts at the top.   A winning culture creates hope, positive thinking, mental toughness and self reflection.  A great coach makes everyone in the program believe that anything is possible and nothing is impossible.  That belief becomes reality when the boys in the program believe that the staff believes in them.  It should be obvious that work is being done to overcome obstacles.  A winning culture, a top tier program may not always win but they would believe they could.  They would never hear from their leader that success wasn’t possible.  I preach to my family that anything is possible if you work hard, effectively prepare and visualize success.  How can this not be obvious.

I suspect the smoke you are referring to is related to the fact that this topic has almost 5000 views and 83 replies.  Only 1 reply loosely supports Rector.  There isn’t even one reply that contradicts what has been written.  There is a reason this topic has more views and more replies than any other DII topic.  

I suspect TSSAA recruiting rules and the Diocese control will change eventually but not in the near future.  In the mean time, we need a staff that will game plan and use our strengths to optimize our ability.  This starts with teaching the team how to watch film.  The offense and defense quite simply needs a fresh set of eyes.  We actually have smart, talented players.

it is clear that we are out-coached and underprepared each week.  I challenge anyone (INCLUDING CURRENT STAFF) to login and describe a scenario this season where we were more prepared than our opponent.  We did nothing different week to week to attack our opponents weaknesses.  The offense used the same sets, no/limited motion, same patterns, same progression, zone read/RPO where QB rarely made a decision other than handoff.  Of course....we had the ever present long ball <eye roll emoji>.  The predictability factor was 10/10.  The defense is a base 3-4 which by design should create confusion for the offensive line and allow us to attack tendencies (if we knew them) and the QB if he stands in the pocket.  I could go on.

The biggest questions:

is 13-31 good enough for FR?

Do we want an opportunity to be competitive?

Does anyone even peripherally involved in the program believe this is the staff to get things turned around?

Does anyone who has had any interaction with Rector believe he has the ability to hold himself accountable and make changes, give up some control?

Are there parents that meet Rector, watch the HS games and say.....I want my kid playing for him next year?