Week 6: Upperman @ Oneida

crow

35 minutes ago, Goldeaglefan said:

Great game - way too close for my blood pressure. Nice place to play and everyone was hospitable before, during and after the game. Thanks to the Indians for arranging for food to feed the players after the game. We will be sure to return the favor next season when you come to Baxter. 

Like I said early this week, win or lose most enjoy their visit to The Reservation. Best of luck to upperman, your young men are doing it right. I was impressed with how they carried themselves. They made us better tonight. 

Edited by crow
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, crow said:

To the family in the truck with the Upperman flags. If you're reading this the thumbs down was just a joke, hope it didn't offend :roflol:

That was me, it's all good.  We dropped in for a bite to eat and got there right at kickoff so I missed the meet & greet.  Came over at half time and talked to some folks.  Oneida has a good team, just kinda got away from them at the end.  That McCallister run was kind of a back breaker.  Good luck the rest of the way.  Hope the kid they carted off is okay.  One of the guys I talked to, before the injury, said that was his nephew.  We'll try to meet up in Baxter next year if you can make it down.

3 hours ago, VictoryFormation said:

That was me, it's all good.  We dropped in for a bite to eat and got there right at kickoff so I missed the meet & greet.  Came over at half time and talked to some folks.  Oneida has a good team, just kinda got away from them at the end.  That McCallister run was kind of a back breaker.  Good luck the rest of the way.  Hope the kid they carted off is okay.  One of the guys I talked to, before the injury, said that was his nephew.  We'll try to meet up in Baxter next year if you can make it down.

Sorry I missed you. Was there during half but obviously didn't realize you were there. Hope y'all took that thumbs down as the good natured fun or was meant to be. As for the game, I'd say I got my $6 worth, saw 2 stingy defenses beat on each other for almost the entire game. Glad you're travels were safe and I do believe the wounded indian will be ok. Good group of young me on that upperman squad. 

Edited by crow

Last thoughts on this one and I'm gonna let it sink away. Upperman is a good team, I think we all knew that. I was impressed with our team defensively. I guess the only thing i can say is this was the second time we allowed a big play late in the game against a quality opponent to take us out of having a chance to win. Gotta finish the way we've played up to those points and if we do that we might have a shot in these type games. UHS moved the ball but it was a battle. Their 5 is as advertised and has enough talent around him to make you play multiple fronts. Exactly what we needed to see for a future game such as meigs county. UHS truly impressed me in the way they played the game. So many times now days when a player gets that big hit or makes a big play they want to call attention to themselves or even taunt the other player or team. The UHS players were not doing that, instead more often than not, giving the other player a helmet pat as a good job sort of gesture regardless of whether they were giving or receiving the hit or big play. Can't say enough about the way those young men conducted themselves, that coachin staff and program definitely earned a fan last night. I saw them in a tough close game that wasn't always going their way and then watched them stretch it out fast the last 90 seconds of the game. They just lined up and played the next play. No showboating or silly junk at all. The way they conducted themselves did not change. Seems like most of the time we're quick to criticize but slow to praise, just wanted to give one more nod to the coaching staff and team. Nice win men, looking forward to seeing your place next year and thank you for my $6 worth and then some. Best of luck the rest of the way. 

Edited by crow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our coach had some good things to say about Oneida

ONEIDA — During his preparation for Friday night’s game at Oneida, Upperman High School Football Coach Adam Caine called some of his coaching friends around the state to help get a picture of what the Indians were all about. The other coaches, Caine said, told him to be prepared for a battle and to get ready to have to play all 48 minutes. It won’t be easy they told him.

Caine found out just how right those coaches were as the Bees had to fight their way, yard by yard, to a 25-6 victory.

“It was an absolute battle. Everybody told me Oneida is a great atmosphere to play in, said you’re not going to play anybody tougher than those kids, and they’re going to make it difficult for you,” Caine said. “I have never heard anything more true in my life.”
The win pushes the Upperman record to 5-1 on the season, while Oneida falls to 4-2.

“They fought to the bitter end,” Caine said. “I have some players that made some plays at the end to stretch that lead out, but that score doesn’t tell the true story.”

Leading only 7-0 at the intermission on a Donoven McCallister touchdown run and a Trey Krolik kick, the Bees exchanged possessions with the Indians for most of the third period. Neither team could move the ball with much authority.

However, Upperman struck later in the quarter. From their own 21, the Bees marched 89 yards for a score. Ty Dutchess broke a long run to move UHS deep into Oneida territory and McCallister then moved the ball to the OHS 5. After three tries to get the TD, UHS had to settle for a 22-yard field goal by Krolick to make it 10-0 with 2:04 to go in the period.

“Oneida does a good job defensively and he (Oneida coach Tony Lambert) gave us some different looks,” Caine said. “We adjusted to it but at the end of the day, it turns into blocking and tackling. For the most part we blocked ok, but they tackled well. Give them credit, they made things difficult.”

Oneida did get on the scoreboard in the fourth period when Indians’ quarterback Elijah West found Hunter Barnhart in the end zone for a 5-yard scoring strike. The extra point was wide, but with 4:10 to go in the game the Indians were within four at 10-6.

The Bees put the game to rest later in the period when the Upperman defense held Oneida on a fourth-and-two to take the ball over at the OHS 47. Two plays later, McCallister scored on a 43-yard romp. The two-point conversaion, a pass from Thomas Ensor to Caden Nash, pushed the lead to 18-6 with 1:29 on the clock.

Carter Shanks then intercepted a West desperation pass in the final minute and returned it 38 yards for the touchdown. Krolik’s kick gave the Bees the final 25-6 margin.

“It is very exciting to see some guys come in and step up and do some big things,” Caine said. “Oneida wasn’t giving this game to us, we were going to have to take it and find a way to do that. Anytime your football team finds ways to win instead of finding ways to lose, it gets you excited.”

Upperman will play its third consecutive road game Friday when it travels to Jamestown to battle York Institute in a Region 4, 3A game. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. Oneida will host Rockwood at 6:30 p.m. CT.

“Tonight was a big-time, team win for the Upperman Bees. I am not sure most of the teams come up here and finish that thing off,” Caine said. “The Oneida team was so tough and I have a tough-minded resilient team as well. That was a great high school football game and it was fun to be a part of it.”

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, crow6424 said:

Our coach had some good things to say about Oneida

ONEIDA — During his preparation for Friday night’s game at Oneida, Upperman High School Football Coach Adam Caine called some of his coaching friends around the state to help get a picture of what the Indians were all about. The other coaches, Caine said, told him to be prepared for a battle and to get ready to have to play all 48 minutes. It won’t be easy they told him.

Caine found out just how right those coaches were as the Bees had to fight their way, yard by yard, to a 25-6 victory.

“It was an absolute battle. Everybody told me Oneida is a great atmosphere to play in, said you’re not going to play anybody tougher than those kids, and they’re going to make it difficult for you,” Caine said. “I have never heard anything more true in my life.”
The win pushes the Upperman record to 5-1 on the season, while Oneida falls to 4-2.

“They fought to the bitter end,” Caine said. “I have some players that made some plays at the end to stretch that lead out, but that score doesn’t tell the true story.”

Leading only 7-0 at the intermission on a Donoven McCallister touchdown run and a Trey Krolik kick, the Bees exchanged possessions with the Indians for most of the third period. Neither team could move the ball with much authority.

However, Upperman struck later in the quarter. From their own 21, the Bees marched 89 yards for a score. Ty Dutchess broke a long run to move UHS deep into Oneida territory and McCallister then moved the ball to the OHS 5. After three tries to get the TD, UHS had to settle for a 22-yard field goal by Krolick to make it 10-0 with 2:04 to go in the period.

“Oneida does a good job defensively and he (Oneida coach Tony Lambert) gave us some different looks,” Caine said. “We adjusted to it but at the end of the day, it turns into blocking and tackling. For the most part we blocked ok, but they tackled well. Give them credit, they made things difficult.”

Oneida did get on the scoreboard in the fourth period when Indians’ quarterback Elijah West found Hunter Barnhart in the end zone for a 5-yard scoring strike. The extra point was wide, but with 4:10 to go in the game the Indians were within four at 10-6.

The Bees put the game to rest later in the period when the Upperman defense held Oneida on a fourth-and-two to take the ball over at the OHS 47. Two plays later, McCallister scored on a 43-yard romp. The two-point conversaion, a pass from Thomas Ensor to Caden Nash, pushed the lead to 18-6 with 1:29 on the clock.

Carter Shanks then intercepted a West desperation pass in the final minute and returned it 38 yards for the touchdown. Krolik’s kick gave the Bees the final 25-6 margin.

“It is very exciting to see some guys come in and step up and do some big things,” Caine said. “Oneida wasn’t giving this game to us, we were going to have to take it and find a way to do that. Anytime your football team finds ways to win instead of finding ways to lose, it gets you excited.”

Upperman will play its third consecutive road game Friday when it travels to Jamestown to battle York Institute in a Region 4, 3A game. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. Oneida will host Rockwood at 6:30 p.m. CT.

“Tonight was a big-time, team win for the Upperman Bees. I am not sure most of the teams come up here and finish that thing off,” Caine said. “The Oneida team was so tough and I have a tough-minded resilient team as well. That was a great high school football game and it was fun to be a part of it.”

Yep thats Oneida!Great post.