BRUINS HOST COLUMBIA ACADEMY

tradertwo

9 hours ago, youngod said:

I hope it will be a good game for both teams.  I'll just leave this here.  CA lost what would have been there starting QB 2 nights before the 1st game. He's out for 4-5 weeks.   Their QB now is a sophomore and is gaining experience every week.  CA played last years state champion, DA, very tight.  Mental mistakes have been killers.  I venture to say I wonder how many teams in this division would have beaten their first two opponents Marshall County and Shelbyville??? 

Agreed, this one has me a little nervous, though I do think USJ is the overall better team this year. CA is not a typical 0-4 team and has some weapons. With that record this could be one of those "make or break" games for them so expecting their best effort. 

Both of the teams that we played in the division, Davidson Academy and Nashville Christian,  were good games.  Davidson Academy was close.  So was Nashville Christian the 1st half.  If memory serves me correct it was NC 7 - CA 0 at half.  NC made some great adjustments came out and was able to shut CA down.  Hats off to them for that.  No matter what happens to them this year (and they are doing well) look for them to be one of the top 2 or 3 teams next year.  They are a young and a BIG team.  They have a QB issue.  If they get that solved, look out.  

Friday night will be interesting to say the least.  CA desperately needs a win.  I look for all stops out effort.  

7 hours ago, Kublah said:

Agreed, this one has me a little nervous, though I do think USJ is the overall better team this year. CA is not a typical 0-4 team and has some weapons. With that record this could be one of those "make or break" games for them so expecting their best effort. 

The Qb appears to roll out and pass better than stay in pocket and 17 had good plays on film.   That combo appears to be their best option as NC was getting constant pressure on the passer.     USJ is good at creating pressure and not so good with broken plays.   If CA is to stay close,  a lot of things have to go their way because the USJ players will not quit because of early adversity.   

• Like 1

In all honesty, it was much closer than it appears. It was a battle in the first half, Bruins offense struggled to find its rhythm and the defense was on its heels against a well run wing-T by Columbia Academy. USJ led 7-0 at the half, with the TD coming on a scoop and score. Another fumble early 3Q resulted in a FG and then another scoop and score for USJ made it 16-0 after a failed 2 pt conversion. At that point, we had gained maybe 3-4 first downs the whole game. Offense then started to click and the game blew wide open. USJ has had a tendency all year to start slowly and this was no different tonight. I won't say they were the "toughest test to date" but they were no slouch and are certainly not your average 0-5 team. The are not big up front, but blocked their schemes well. They had a couple of kids that ran the ball really hard, but struggled in the passing game. Defense was well-coached, in good position, and tackled well until they finally got worn down the the second half. For the second week in a row, I would say USJ was the better team but I don't think they are 37 points better than either squad. 

3 hours ago, Bellsburg2 said:

In all honesty, it was much closer than it appears. It was a battle in the first half, Bruins offense struggled to find its rhythm and the defense was on its heels against a well run wing-T by Columbia Academy. USJ led 7-0 at the half, with the TD coming on a scoop and score. Another fumble early 3Q resulted in a FG and then another scoop and score for USJ made it 16-0 after a failed 2 pt conversion. At that point, we had gained maybe 3-4 first downs the whole game. Offense then started to click and the game blew wide open. USJ has had a tendency all year to start slowly and this was no different tonight. I won't say they were the "toughest test to date" but they were no slouch and are certainly not your average 0-5 team. The are not big up front, but blocked their schemes well. They had a couple of kids that ran the ball really hard, but struggled in the passing game. Defense was well-coached, in good position, and tackled well until they finally got worn down the the second half. For the second week in a row, I would say USJ was the better team but I don't think they are 37 points better than either squad. 

Great synopsis. That game was much closer than the scoreboard.

CA controlled most of the first half. In the second half USJ "woke up" and adjusted to the wing T and took over with their speed and playmaking.

CA is a tough team but had a few bad bounces and some mistakes that USJ pounced on. I don't think USJ ever managed to get much going on the passing game as CA played their assignments really well. 

For the CA kids sake I hope they don't give up on their season. That's a solid team. They've played a brutal schedule, and if they keep fighting they'll get some wins.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 10:24 PM, WestTnGuru said:

Hmmmmm...............How would the gallery react........if JC ran the score up?  No need for that garbage.   Jackson Christian is going to be really good in about two years.......Uh oh!!!  We may not take the gas off the pedal in a couple of years!!!!  Country club lane is going to be hopping in two years!

Jackson Christian's Elementary and Middle School both went undefeated this season. In the mean time, I'm patiently waiting for two years to pass and for Country Club Ln to be hopping once again. The Evil Empire, might want to save up, because y'all might have some heavy dues to pay. :razz:  

Edited by jj420
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jj420 said:

Jackson Christian's Elementary and Middle School both went undefeated this season. In the mean time, I'm patiently waiting for two years to pass and for Country Club Ln to be hopping once again. The Evil Empire, might want to save up, because y'all might have some heavy dues to pay. :razz:  

I don't think the "Evil Empire" is too worried.  Your Middle School went undefeated in a 6 game schedule that was pretty week.  USJ plays teams like Hardin Co, North Parkway and Henderson County North.  JC toughest 3 were TCA, Gibson Co and maybe St. Mary's.  It is laughable that you even bring up the elementary school team.  Ya'll played at least 5 kids that don't even attend school at JC.  On top of that,  JC cancels the JV game against USJ last Monday night.  I don't think USJ is too worried.    

Edited by GTfanTN

31 minutes ago, GTfanTN said:

I don't think the "Evil Empire" is too worried.  Your Middle School went undefeated in a 6 game schedule that was pretty week.  USJ plays teams like Hardin Co, North Parkway and Henderson County North.  JC toughest 3 were TCA, Gibson Co and maybe St. Mary's.  It is laughable that you even bring up the elementary school team.  Ya'll played at least 5 kids that don't even attend school at JC.  On top of that,  JC cancels the JV game against USJ last Monday night.  I don't think USJ is too worried.    

I hope That was not an underhanded jab at tca middle school. TCA did beat USJ 32-6. And JC man handled TCA. Be happy y’all did not play JC middle school this year. 

• CoachT locked this topic