Knox County Recruiting Service

Pinocchio007

15 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

You've even got kids that live in Holston Hills that go to Holston MS that are zoned for Carter HS.

Things have gotten a little better now that Hardin Valley and Gibbs each have middle schools. I still think the Northwest MS situation is a joke, ever since Rule HS closed.

Which is Crazy since AE is 3 miles down the road from Holston Hills and 9 miles away to Carter High

4 hours ago, Solomon said:

Where's Alcoa?

*ducks and hides*

Alcoa is down 15 tuition students according to The Daily Times and has the same number of students as last year at the high school. My guess is a lot of those tuition students were football players because the football team was down about 8 or 9 players from last year. A lot of that drop is affected when tuition goes up and it wouldn't surprise me if it don't go up some more next year if the big gamble on the West Plant Site don't start attracting some interest soon.

2 hours ago, Swipes said:

Which is Crazy since AE is 3 miles down the road from Holston Hills and 9 miles away to Carter High

You've now got kids who live just West of Clinton Highway in subdivisions 2 miles from Powell High School that have gone to Powell Middle, but they now go 8 miles away to Karns High School.  

Just insane.  

6 hours ago, Pinocchio007 said:

First, I am going to start by saying this thread is about to take off!!! 

All Knox County Schools recruit to some degree, "HATE TO BREAK THE NEWS"! This starts by the schools themselves with alumni and community, next the high school coaches, then the youth organizations, and work all the way down into church.

List of Knox County "PUBLIC SCHOOLS"- No, exact order, but if I had to make a list! 

1. Powell 
  2. Central 
  3. Fulton
  4. Austin- East
  5. Bearden
  6. South- Doyle**  
  7. Farragut**
  8. West**
  9. Halls**
  10. Gibbs**
  11. Carter**
  12. Hardin Valley** 
  13. Karns 

**Subject to change 

3bfbj6.jpg

Based on your list, FULTON, AUSTIN EAST, AND HARDIN VALLEY really SUCK at recruiting.....LOL   They need to step there game up!  lol

15 hours ago, Swipes said:

There are certain Middle Schools in Knox County that feed to different high schools depending on where you live at.  Ex. Norwood Middle is zoned for Central, Powell,  and Fulton High School depending on your address for High School.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned but Norwood is an elementary school but I think know which middle school you are referring too and their zones are crazy.  I live 2 miles from Bearden High School yet my daughter's zoned high school is Hardin Valley. Another strange zone is Middlebrook Pike, (between Cedar Bluff and North Gallaher) depending on what side of the street you live on you either go to Cedar Bluff MS or Karns MS. Makes no sense.

Edited by QSouth89

Several of the Knox County high school zones resemble spokes of a wagon wheel. Starting with a narrow path closer to the middle of the county and widening some as the path gets to the high school (and in some cases beyond the school -- such as West High). A lot of this has to do with the fact of having two school systems at one time -- county schools & city school. Schools were being built where each of those systems needed them and not in conjunction between the systems.

Now with only one system, the zone lines have two purposes. First, to avoid a Federal lawsuit over integration and number two , to try and even population numbers among the high schools.

As many of the middle schools were not built next to a high school ( as well as not near one) there zone lines do not correlate to the high school zone lines.

Therefore, I would not expect significant changes.

9 hours ago, QSouth89 said:

I'm not sure if this was mentioned but Norwood is an elementary school but I think know which middle school you are referring too and their zones are crazy.  I live 2 miles from Bearden High School yet my daughter's zoned high school is Hardin Valley. Another strange zone is Middlebrook Pike, (between Cedar Bluff and North Gallaher) depending on what side of the street you live on you either go to Cedar Bluff MS or Karns MS. Makes no sense

There are some students that live west of Bearden HS but are Zoned for West HS. But that was a political move of school board chairman Dr Dan Murphy and school board representative Karen Carson to save/prop up West HS and get the Sequoyah Hills /Northshore Drive/ New RH people to go to West to get test scores/academics/attendence/discipline in line with Knox county /state standards. Also gave those people a viable option instead of private school. West is not the only problem. HVA is another. If all HS zones in the West we're were kicked East that would solve the HVA problem. They're building enough houses down Hardin Valley road HVA will fill up if their Zone was kicked East. Farraguts zone could be kicked East also. The problem is the BHS zone. Politically that is the hardest zone to move. If you move BHS zone East, then you have to move West zone East. Then other zones would have to be moved East. This would be very hard politically.

51 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

If all HS zones in the West we're were kicked East that would solve the HVA problem. They're building enough houses down Hardin Valley road HVA will fill up if their Zone was kicked East. Farraguts zone could be kicked East also. The problem is the BHS zone. Politically that is the hardest zone to move. If you move BHS zone East, then you have to move West zone East. Then other zones would have to be moved East. This would be very hard politically.

I agree that the Bearden zone is a big issue, but if you expand the HVA and Farragut zone to the east, you're just creating a bigger problem for those two schools. You're just shifting the problem from one school to another.

Farragut Primary School (which is just K-2) has over 1000 students enrolled. That is absolutely insane. When all is said and done, I predict that the far end of west Knox County will end up with a new set of schools to offset the overcrowding issues at Farragut and Hardin Valley. Then we can start shifting those other zones to the east.

Edited by osunut2

On 9/24/2019 at 7:23 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

Alcoa is down 15 tuition students according to The Daily Times and has the same number of students as last year at the high school. My guess is a lot of those tuition students were football players because the football team was down about 8 or 9 players from last year. A lot of that drop is affected when tuition goes up and it wouldn't surprise me if it don't go up some more next year if the big gamble on the West Plant Site don't start attracting some interest soon.

if tuition  doubles, still worth it. 

16 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

There are some students that live west of Bearden HS but are Zoned for West HS. But that was a political move of school board chairman Dr Dan Murphy and school board representative Karen Carson to save/prop up West HS and get the Sequoyah Hills /Northshore Drive/ New RH people to go to West to get test scores/academics/attendence/discipline in line with Knox county /state standards. Also gave those people a viable option instead of private school. West is not the only problem. HVA is another. If all HS zones in the West we're were kicked East that would solve the HVA problem. They're building enough houses down Hardin Valley road HVA will fill up if their Zone was kicked East. Farraguts zone could be kicked East also. The problem is the BHS zone. Politically that is the hardest zone to move. If you move BHS zone East, then you have to move West zone East. Then other zones would have to be moved East. This would be very hard politically.

hate they are sacrificing kids for political reasons. But it is what it is.

4 hours ago, 32hammer said:

hate they are sacrificing kids for political reasons. But it is what it is.

Politics and keeping the feds away has always driven Knox County School zones and transfer policies, or at least it has since the City went out of the school business and dumped it all on the country government.  

Edited by HTV