Covington @ Milan week 7

CHARGERFAN

Covington goes on the road to visit Milan this week. These two teams have met a lot, and I expect that this will be a competitive game. 

The Chargers are 6-0 overall, and 2-0 in the region, while Milan is 3-3 overall and 1-1 in the region. 

Projections favor Covington quite handily, but knowing the history of the two schools, I expect that Milan will step up their game this week.

I've seen some mention of a new stadium in Milan. Is it being used this year? Is it where the old stadium was? I don't want to be searching for it Friday night.

16 minutes ago, stacmot said:

Congratulations on your win against Ripley, and good luck against the Dawgs!  I'm not sure if Covington and Milan played each other that much back in the day, but like Ripley, Milan was in the Big Ten too.

I don't have records that go back farther than 1999. Here are the results of meetings since then

Year.        Winner.         Score.             Comments

1999.         Milan.              28-6.              Playoffs

2003.         Milan.              28-21.            Season

2004.         Covington.      35-7.              Season

2009.         Milan.               40-7.              Season

2010          Milan                42-14              Season

2011          Milan                28-26              Season

2012          Covington        24-13              Season

2013           Milan                23-21              Playoffs

2017           Covington       28-27               Season

2017           Covington       21-14               Playoffs

2018           Covington       45-26               Season

2018           Covington        22-0                 Playoffs

The series since 1999 is tied at six wins each. Milan started out in dominant style, winning 5 of the first six meetings, but Covington has come on strong, winning four consecutive matchups, including two victories in each of the last two seasons. 

Haven't  seen Milan this year but I have been to see Covington since week 0. I'm just going off of what I have seen on here.  My prediction is 21-7 Covington and thats if  Milan's D is as tough as people say. I still think it will be hard to stop Covington's run game.  They have to many weapons. You will have to be very disciplined to stop them. Hope it's a great injury free game. 

On 9/28/2019 at 5:01 PM, ManOfMillions said:

Covington, You guys probably have not seen a defense like Milan's this year. They are the best defense we have played this year. The D is salty, the O is struggle for the dawgs. 

I think this will be a low scoring game. 

I will go Covington 24 Milan 7

Well, I just saw that Huntington had a back rush for 290 yards and 4 TD's Friday against Milan. That doesn't sound like a great Milan defense there.

Covington had over 500 yards rushing versus Ripley. Mr. Football nominee Marcus Hayes had nearly 300 yards and 4 TD's himself against Ripley, and the Chargers have a couple of other backs besides Hayes. 

On 9/28/2019 at 2:58 PM, CHARGERFAN said:

I don't have records that go back farther than 1999. Here are the results of meetings since then

Year.        Winner.         Score.             Comments

1999.         Milan.              28-6.              Playoffs

2003.         Milan.              28-21.            Season

2004.         Covington.      35-7.              Season

2009.         Milan.               40-7.              Season

2010          Milan                42-14              Season

2011          Milan                28-26              Season

2012          Covington        24-13              Season

2013           Milan                23-21              Playoffs

2017           Covington       28-27               Season

2017           Covington       21-14               Playoffs

2018           Covington       45-26               Season

2018           Covington        22-0                 Playoffs

The series since 1999 is tied at six wins each. Milan started out in dominant style, winning 5 of the first six meetings, but Covington has come on strong, winning four consecutive matchups, including two victories in each of the last two seasons. 

Thanks for posting the 1999-2018 history of the Covington-Milan series.  I'm very interested in information like that.  There used to be a site, Tennessee High School Football Database, that maintained somewhat of a football history for all of the schools in Tennessee.  Unfortunately, it no longer seems to exist.  I'm sure it was costly and time-consuming, but I hope all the information and hard work put into that site isn't lost forever.

Haywood fans are lucky as far as Haywood's football history is concerned.  A Brownsville dentist, Dr. Robert Rooks, wrote a book covering 100 years (1912-2011 or 12) of Tomcat football.  Of course, we all have Coach T where we can look up scores from 2001 to present-day.

As far as this week's Covington-Milan game is concerned, I think the Chargers will win by at least 2 touchdowns.  Good luck to the Charger team and fans.  Have a safe trip to and from Milan.

I haven't seen Milan since they opened up against Peabody. Wasn't a good night for them then, but I'm sure many changes have been made since then. Should be a good game, but I've seen a lot of Covington lately, hard to go against them. Defense is solid and Hayes is a talented player. I'll take Covington by 21 in this one! :thumb:

11 hours ago, stacmot said:

Thanks for posting the 1999-2018 history of the Covington-Milan series.  I'm very interested in information like that.  There used to be a site, Tennessee High School Football Database, that maintained somewhat of a football history for all of the schools in Tennessee.  Unfortunately, it no longer seems to exist.  I'm sure it was costly and time-consuming, but I hope all the information and hard work put into that site isn't lost forever.

Haywood fans are lucky as far as Haywood's football history is concerned.  A Brownsville dentist, Dr. Robert Rooks, wrote a book covering 100 years (1912-2011 or 12) of Tomcat football.  Of course, we all have Coach T where we can look up scores from 2001 to present-day.

As far as this week's Covington-Milan game is concerned, I think the Chargers will win by at least 2 touchdowns.  Good luck to the Charger team and fans.  Have a safe trip to and from Milan.

Yeah, I too think that the TN High School Football Database is no longer active. If it is, I don't know where to find it. If somebody on Coach T knows what happened, I would be interested. Please respond.