#1 NASHVILLE CHRISTIAN AT #2 USJ

tradertwo

The only two remaining undefeated teams in DII-A will face off this Friday when the NCS Eagles head west on I-40 the meet the host USJ Bruins. Despite both schools approaching their respective 50th anniversaries, this is the first ever meeting between the two schools to the best of my knowledge. Over the past 7-8 years NCS emerged as a perennial I-A powerhouse and claimed the gold ball in 2015. I was on hand when that team demolished Peabody in the state semifinals the week after the Tide had ended Union City's hot streak. They made the move to DII this year and have continued their winning ways. USJ has made a few trips to the bowl over the years in both DI and DII, but only brought home silver hardware.

Both teams run a balanced offensive attack with NCS being a little more run-heavy than USJ. I have only seen NCS on film this year, but I believe these two teams will be well-matched on offense and defense. USJ may have a slight edge on special teams. NCS definitely has their share of weapons that the Bruins will have to work hard to contain. These teams will both score their fair share. I think this one will stay close on the scoreboard and the edge will go to the team who wins the turnover battle. 

Fun Fact #1: Two former NCS players represented their respective teams this past summer at SEC media days

Fun Fact #2: Two current Bruins players have parents that graduated from NCS

• Upvote 1

Man, this looks to be a good game between two very good and similar teams. On film NCS looks a little bigger, and USJ looks a little faster.

Two big factors for me from USJ POV:

1. Play a complete game. Yes, they're 5-0 but they've had a lackadaisical quarter or two in almost every game. One bad drive against a team like this can cost you the game.

2. Get the passing game going early. Our QB throws really well when he's in a rhythm and playing with confidence. IMO it's going to take a balanced attack to beat NCS. USJ has done a good job spreading the ball around this year, and I'm sure the coaches will have a great game plan. 

The X factor here is whether or not both coaches decide to "save some stuff" for later. There's obviously a good chance of these teams meeting again in the postseason which makes you think they might each keep a few things in their backpocket...

Edited by Kublah

10 hours ago, Bellsburg2 said:

The only two remaining undefeated teams in DII-A will face off this Friday when the NCS Eagles head west on I-40 the meet the host USJ Bruins. Despite both schools approaching their respective 50th anniversaries, this is the first ever meeting between the two schools to the best of my knowledge. Over the past 7-8 years NCS emerged as a perennial I-A powerhouse and claimed the gold ball in 2015. I was on hand when that team demolished Peabody in the state semifinals the week after the Tide had ended Union City's hot streak. They made the move to DII this year and have continued their winning ways. USJ has made a few trips to the bowl over the years in both DI and DII, but only brought home silver hardware.

Both teams run a balanced offensive attack with NCS being a little more run-heavy than USJ. I have only seen NCS on film this year, but I believe these two teams will be well-matched on offense and defense. USJ may have a slight edge on special teams. NCS definitely has their share of weapons that the Bruins will have to work hard to contain. These teams will both score their fair share. I think this one will stay close on the scoreboard and the edge will go to the team who wins the turnover battle. 

Fun Fact #1: Two former NCS players represented their respective teams this past summer at SEC media days

Fun Fact #2: Two current Bruins players have parents that graduated from NCS

UTs LB is the only one that comes to mind...who else

Booger just sayin :huh:

7 hours ago, Kublah said:

Man, this looks to be a good game between two very good and similar teams. On film NCS looks a little bigger, and USJ looks a little faster.

Two big factors for me from USJ POV:

1. Play a complete game. Yes, they're 5-0 but they've had a lackadaisical quarter or two in almost every game. One bad drive against a team like this can cost you the game.

2. Get the passing game going early. Our QB throws really well when he's in a rhythm and playing with confidence. IMO it's going to take a balanced attack to beat NCS. USJ has done a good job spreading the ball around this year, and I'm sure the coaches will have a great game plan. 

The X factor here is whether or not both coaches decide to "save some stuff" for later. There's obviously a good chance of these teams meeting again in the postseason which makes you think they might each keep a few things in their backpocket...

USJ won't save any plays... they won't have to. This game could be anything from two even teams fighting it out, to a mismatch favoring NC, and I would believe in the USJ coaches to handle their business if they meet again later. There's many examples that I could use to support that statement, but the one I'll use is actually a loss. Regular season Waverly at our place... 40-0 Waverly in a blowout. Quarterfinals at Waverly was a different game, with us losing by five... in a hurricane that favored their offense over ours... and we had the ball twice in a score and win situation. Let me say also that we had some decent talent, but had no business playing with the depth of athletic talent that Waverly had. Win, lose, or draw... USJ will have an advantage in a hypothetical second game.