#1 NASHVILLE CHRISTIAN AT #2 USJ

tradertwo

I think the prediction for both teams to score 25-35 points is very reasonable. Both teams have too many weapons to contain. I expect to see about a one score margin between these two teams one way or the other. Each team as really only seen one competitive 4Q game, with NCS grinding out a win v. Davidson and USJ battling from behind against TCA. Bold prediction: a special teams play or a defensive score will be the difference in the ballgame.

NCS keys will be keeping the QB from running wild when either designed plays or broken plays occur. Also think they need to play tight press coverage to disrupt routes. NCS will need to run to set up the pass as well. If they are stuck throwing often, their chances for success will greatly diminish. Hopeful this one stays close.

USJ really needs to start strong (we have not done that all year).  We cannot wait till the third quarter to start playing.  I expect a lower scoring game.  It will be very difficult for USJ to win if it only scores once in the first half.  The OL will need a good game against a very good NCS DL.

I believe this is the first game ever between NCS and USJ.  Welcome Eagles and safe travels.

It's Football Friday and there are 3 big games that could have a big impact on the D2 playoffs.  

USJ starts a stretch of 3 tough games.  USJ needs to win 2 of the 3 to get a bye in the 1st round of playoff (giving USJ the win against CA at the end of season).  That is a huge factor for the Bruins since we would have played 10 straight weeks in the regular season.  On paper, NC will be the toughest opponent of the year.  The Bruins should be successful if they can stuff the run and force NC to throw the ball.  The Bruins also need to be balanced on the the offensive side of the football.  Complete passes to keep moving the chains and running the ball to carry out long clock draining drives.  Really need to wear down the Eagles front 4.  I think it will be a lower scoring game and the Bruins win 24-14.  

TCA host TRA in an important game for the Lions.  With only 1 district win and 4 tough games remaining, this is almost a must win.  I believe Davis will have a very productive game and TRA will have a couple of long clock draining drives.  These drives will keep the game close but I think TCA wins out with a couple of scores in the 4th quarter to win by 14.  

JC welcomes Columbia Academy to Jackson for a interesting contest.  JC offense has been very good as a whole this year.  They are coming off a tough loss against Fayette Acad.  Col Acad enters tonight winless on the season.  Like I said last week, they are not a horrible team.  They have played some big schools and made a couple of district games interesting for a long time.  The Bruins were held to 7 first half points (recovered fumble returned for TD) and I believe were limited to 3 first half drives.  Col Acad will try to run the ball and keep JC good offense off the field.  I think this game will be close going into the 4th were JC wears them down and ends up winning by 17.

These are just my opinions of tonights games.  The only thing I know for sure; tonight's football games will finally have some "fall football weather."  

• Upvote 2

Seen NCS up close and since last year they've acquired a few impact players that make them a tough team to beat in lower DII division.  Only watched couple of HUDL game videos of USJ and if they dont turn the ball over and get the keep close USJ might have a chance, but end of the 3rd and 4th quarter I see NCS pulling away by pounding the rock.   NCS 42 USJ 14.  My 2 cents.  

1 hour ago, youthsportsPIX said:

Seen NCS up close and since last year they've acquired a few impact players that make them a tough team to beat in lower DII division.  Only watched couple of HUDL game videos of USJ and if they dont turn the ball over and get the keep close USJ might have a chance, but end of the 3rd and 4th quarter I see NCS pulling away by pounding the rock.   NCS 42 USJ 14.  My 2 cents.  

I hope this does not happen. How did NCS acquire these impact players. Moving into Bellevue?

9 hours ago, Eagle9019 said:

NCS keys will be keeping the QB from running wild when either designed plays or broken plays occur. Also think they need to play tight press coverage to disrupt routes. NCS will need to run to set up the pass as well. If they are stuck throwing often, their chances for success will greatly diminish. Hopeful this one stays close.

If Browder (OC) has the weapons available to run his offense as he likes, eleven defenders won't be enough to respect the run, defend the short passing game, and contain the QB when he scrambles. You will have to try and outguess him on every snap, and limit some of the facets of the offense while giving up others. He's not trying to score on every play, just stay ahead of the chains and eat up yardage without negative plays.

There's a lot of truth to Stroup's favorite phrase... "all we want is a first down".

FINAL: NCS 28, USJ 27. It was a heavyweight fight tonight and NCS landed the last blow with 1:40 remaining to take the lead. After a PI call put them deep in Bruin territory, the TD came on a wacky tipped ball was brought down by a nearby NCS receiver. USJ then moved backwards in the 2 minute drill and ultimately turned it over on downs before time expired. USJ caught the breaks early, capturing the lead on holding it for about 44 of the 48 minutes, but momentum shifted in the fourth quarter and failing to capitalize on some earlier opportunities came back to bite the Bruins. These two teams were very evenly matched and a postseason rematch would be interesting to say the least.

• Upvote 1

What a game! This one had everything - big plays and big hits from both sides.

USJ has got to be feeling sick right now, as they seemed almost in control for three and a half quarters.

Credit to NCS though as they hung in there. Every time USJ had a chance to put the game away, NCS came up big. Then ultimately they made the big plays at the end to take the lead. NCS QB was an absolute gunslinger and fun to watch.

Big question I have about USJ is at quarterback. #15 came out throwing spitballs and looked the best he has all year IMO. Wasn't sure if they were rotating #12 and/or #15 got banged up?  

Also really liked some of the defensive adjustments USJ made. Their offense has so many weapons - I'd swear 10 different players have scored touchdowns this year. If they can just improve the timing in the passing game by a smidgen then this will be a very dangerous team.

What will the playoff brackets in DII-A be like? Would leave to see a rematch in Cookeville.

Edited by Kublah

1 hour ago, Kublah said:

What a game! This one had everything - big plays and big hits from both sides.

USJ has got to be feeling sick right now, as they seemed almost in control for three and a half quarters.

Credit to NCS though as they hung in there. Every time USJ had a chance to put the game away, NCS came up big. Then ultimately they made the big plays at the end to take the lead. NCS QB was an absolute gunslinger and fun to watch.

Big question I have about USJ is at quarterback. #15 came out throwing spitballs and looked the best he has all year IMO. Wasn't sure if they were rotating #12 and/or #15 got banged up?  

Also really liked some of the defensive adjustments USJ made. Their offense has so many weapons - I'd swear 10 different players have scored touchdowns this year. If they can just improve the timing in the passing game by a smidgen then this will be a very dangerous team.

What will the playoff brackets in DII-A be like? Would leave to see a rematch in Cookeville.

14 is the starters number.  I think you meant 14 not 15.     He was not banged up so that decision was a puzzling head scratcher                Yes if they win out at 1 and 2 they can have a rematch but a lot of football games left to play.