Haywood vs Ripley

Kruger77

I didn't see my Covington Chargers defeat Ripley last week because of a previous obligation. However, from the score and from some of the stats, Ripley was dominated. They lost 34-7, and Covington backs rushed for over 500 yards. Our Mr. Football candidate,  Marcus Hayes, had over 270 yards rushing and 4 TD's.

I would think that Haywood's run game could move the ball up and down the field at will.

Ripley is an old rival.  If my research is correct, this will be the 93rd meeting between teams from Ripley and Brownsville with Haywood leading the series 57-31-4.  As old rivals, they always play each other tough.

It is a must win game for both the Tigers and the Tomcats since region seeding/ranking is on the line.  Both teams are in Class 4A Region 7, yet they have not met a common opponent.  For what it's worth, Haywood is favored on paper.  Haywood's power rating is roughly 15 points higher than Ripley's, and the score predictor favors Haywood by 30.

The Tomcats will not be in school Friday since it is a PD Day.  Most coaches don't like a situation like that since the players won't be following their regular game day routine.  However, if the Cats stay focused they should be okay.

Edited by stacmot

1 hour ago, NotNoahHouck said:

AP has Haywood at No. 4 in the Class 4A poll with one first place vote. Not sure why they call it Haywood Co., but oh well 

The poll I looked at has Haywood ranked number 3.  Haywood was ranked number 2 last week, but I can see why Haywood and Elizabethton (ranked number 3 in last week's poll) swapped places this week.  Betsy's 45 - 0 drubbing of previously undefeated Cherokee (Class 5A) is more impressive than Haywood's 1 point win over previously undefeated South Gibson County (Class 3A). 

Calling the school Haywood Co. is a pet peeve of mine.  When Haywood County High School and Carver High School were consolidated in 1970, a new high school was built and named Haywood High School, so the official name of the school is Haywood High not Haywood County High.  Unfortunately, a lot of school officials (along with others in Brownsville and across Tennessee) either don’t seem to know, or don't care to know, the actual name of the school, so it is often incorrectly referred to as Haywood County.  However, in their defense the name of the school is taken from the county's name, and it is the only high school in Haywood County. 

To make things more confusing...the old Haywood County High School was often referred to as Haywood High School.  You just have to learn to live with our identity crisis!

3 hours ago, stacmot said:

The poll I looked at has Haywood ranked number 3.  Haywood was ranked number 2 last week, but I can see why Haywood and Elizabethton (ranked number 3 in last week's poll) swapped places this week.  Betsy's 45 - 0 drubbing of previously undefeated Cherokee (Class 5A) is more impressive than Haywood's 1 point win over previously undefeated South Gibson County (Class 3A). 

Calling the school Haywood Co. is a pet peeve of mine.  When Haywood County High School and Carver High School were consolidated in 1970, a new high school was built and named Haywood High School, so the official name of the school is Haywood High not Haywood County High.  Unfortunately, a lot of school officials (along with others in Brownsville and across Tennessee) either don’t seem to know, or don't care to know, the actual name of the school, so it is often incorrectly referred to as Haywood County.  However, in their defense the name of the school is taken from the county's name, and it is the only high school in Haywood County. 

To make things more confusing...the old Haywood County High School was often referred to as Haywood High School.  You just have to learn to live with our identity crisis!

I did not know about the 1970 name change. My dad went to Haywood County High School and it was still that when I was a student at Byars-Hall High School in Covington. 

Byars-Hall graduated its last class in 1970, then became Covington High School.  I suppose both schools were renamed in the same year.

I’ll have to remember to use the correct name in the future.

I was just now able to watch last week's Ripley @ Covington game courtesy of YouTube. I was surprised how well Ripley played. They were better than the 34-7 loss would have indicated, IMHO.

I still think that Haywood will win, but they had some fight in them.  Ripley could have been the first team to score two TD's against Covington's 2019 defense. Late in the game, they drove the ball inside the 5 yard line, but fumbled. They have a couple of decent running backs, too.