Glencliff reported to be ending football this season

nrgrizzlies

5 minutes ago, ecu said:

Since there is an age limit and a four year limit starting in 9th grade, what difference does it make if a kid is held back? Do what is best for your kid.

I, meaning me, can’t think of a justifiable reason to hold my kid back for the sole purpose of sports.  Other factors...yes....sports...NO!

That is the good thing about boards...different opinions.

1 minute ago, Indian said:

Georgia is adding a new rule, 2.0 multiplier for each student outside its “attendance zone.” How the zone is determined for each school other than those with set bus routes, who knows.

Georgia also allows kids from outside the county to attend the school if there is room in the school.  Fee varies but is less than $500 per student and they must have own transportation to get to school.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PurplePanther said:

I, meaning me, can’t think of a justifiable reason to hold my kid back for the sole purpose of sports.  Other factors...yes....sports...NO!

An extra year does help them mature and it could be the difference in getting a scholarship. That is a decision for parents to make not TSSAA. Appreciate your opinion.

2 hours ago, PurplePanther said:

Georgia also allows kids from outside the county to attend the school if there is room in the school.  Fee varies but is less than $500 per student and they must have own transportation to get to school.

Tennessee allows the same thing, though there are "tuition" fees they'll have to pay.  It's benefited places like Elizabethton, Greeneville, Dobyns-Bennett, and especially Maryville and Alcoa.  Tons of Maryville's starters on their championship teams didn't live in Maryville's zone.

Edited by BlueDevil58

20 hours ago, GoPats2019 said:

Looks like the holding back has been addressed. 

Not really.

If you hold a kid back and have them play in youth leagues outside of the TMSAA and work out so they're bigger and stronger when they get to HS, they're still eligible for 9th grade.  That still happens quite a bit.

It's nowhere near as big a deal as recruiting, though.  Holding a kid back is perfectly legal and there are non-sports related reasons to do it.  Schools don't like doing it in MS now because they're afraid it can backfire and hurt their HS graduation rates.

Recruiting, though... that goes on everywhere.  Show me a dominant program and I'll show you some type of recruiting.  The TSSAA does not want to do anything about it besides paying some lip service to the rules against it every now and then, but there are tons of ways to get around that rule.

Cozy up to the people running the local youth leagues to get them to steer kids to your school, get the school to set up a sham "academic program" nobody else offers so any kids who want to do so can attend your school as if they're zoned for it, hire a MS coach or parent onto the coaching or school staff to get his players, have players and boosters do your recruiting for you, etc.  All of that is perfectly 100% legal or at least easily deniable if you're caught.

Edited by BlueDevil58
  • Upvote 1

On 10/1/2019 at 9:36 PM, PurplePanther said:

With all due respect, I don’t think recruiting had anything to do with this.  The school is very close to Nolensville Rd.  according to great schools website it is 47% hispanic... I think it’s more, but I’ll go with their data.  School enrolment is 1400 and approximately 700 males.  Half of them are interested in futbol, not football.  Throw in the concussion scares and the field is less.  Then throw in the fact that they are rated 2 out a possible 10....not a driver to go to that school.

Now I DO agree with you on Whites Creek!  What the heck?  The privates as well as East Nashville High School benefit from the kids in that area.

I've heard that is a big issue at Overton as well.

On 10/2/2019 at 7:38 AM, Indian said:

TSSAA should allow them to play JV next year if the numbers aren’t up, then drop a class or play non region like White County. Anything is better than ending the program.

On 10/2/2019 at 9:37 AM, FBfan26 said:

To be truful Indian I dont think they would be  Competitive in 2a ball.

Probably not. You have to consider that they lost to 1A Republic last year 34-11 and that team went 5-6 losing to teams like Clay County, Gordonsville, Jo Byrns and Monterey.

15 hours ago, PurplePanther said:

I know a kid that got held back in 8th grade a few years ago because his parents felt he was being bullied because he was too short. Mom and Dad are both 5'3-5'5....

On 10/4/2019 at 9:52 AM, BlueDevil58 said:

Tennessee allows the same thing, though there are "tuition" fees they'll have to pay.  It's benefited places like Elizabethton, Greeneville, Dobyns-Bennett, and especially Maryville and Alcoa.  Tons of Maryville's starters on their championship teams didn't live in Maryville's zone.

You don’t say. 

On 10/2/2019 at 11:08 AM, GoPats2019 said:

Coaches from BA, BGA, CPA, MBA & Ensworth hang out at UNA & Jefferson St. Youth Football games on Saturdays. 

Not taking up for them but you know some of them coach's do have kids and family's here in nashville? Please don't say coach's should only wear school attire mon-fri from 630am to 230pm 

On 10/4/2019 at 9:52 AM, BlueDevil58 said:

I've never heard of this. I learned something new but seriously don't think that works in middle tn